• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

First Hybrid request.

I've done desktop appraisals on properties that are far more complicated than the avg subdivision home and I never sweated the situation for a second. And all my reports get read for content. If I'm operating on an exterior-only or desktop I note those limitations prominently. None of my readers have any reason to claim confusion about what I did or didn't do.

None of my reports go to the GSEs or are reported on their forms.
Your own work is 100% removed from AMC and GSE-backed loans., Yet you post vociferously on the topic, basically echoing the spin stakeholders give to reduce valuation standards to the lowest of the low, never seen before at scale.

Why were you doing a desktop? Were the properties far away, or no access granted? How long was the turn time for you? What was the purpose of the appraisal?

Whatever these appraisals you were doing were, they were not backed by taxpayer loans with a poorly informed borrower swept up in the outcome.
 
The collateral damage to fee appraisers doesn't matter to anyone other than the appraisers. We can't force them to care about us.

It's the same as dating: attraction cannot be negotiated.


it cost the public...because good appraisals don't cost money it saves a whole bunch of it
 
Hyperbole is a dish best served frantically.
 
maybe you didn't really read my post, as your diatribe has zero to do with what I posted. The post referenced the GSE's opinion that 3rd party inspections are commensurate with, or superior to, appraiser inspections. Carry on with the straw men, though. Wouldn't want to stand in the way of a good story.
It is not a third-party inspection. It is a third-party data collection.

An inspection implies expertise and can stray too close to the shore of appraisal practice, which is why they use the terms data collection and data collector.

That the GSEs self-servingly consider it equal to or superior to an appraiser inspection is a joke, proven even now, since the more challenging properties are still inspected by the appraiser. And of course the system worked well for decades with the appraiser inspection. This is unknown territory at mass scale and might take at least several years or longer to see how well it stacks up.
 
Who do you think you're talking to? I'm not some part timer by starvation like you. I'm always backed up. I appraise every day. This is my sole means of income. If it ends tomorrow then I'm screwed.

You just admitted none of your appraisals go to the GSE’s and you don’t work for GSE’s. So you found your little niche and good for you. But it’s quite narcissistic behavior to now come on here and say everybody should operate like you do when you don’t work in the same world they do.

Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

I’d love to do this full-time, but guys like you and your buddy have turned us into a part-time gig work profession. I wish the usual suspects would’ve chosen to keep standards and ethics high. They chose not to.

I realize not everybody believes advocacy in a profession is their responsibility. But I will always believe that strengthening the profession brings everybody up. Maybe life would be simpler being selfish.
 
It is not a third-party inspection. It is a third-party data collection.

An inspection implies expertise and can stray too close to the shore of appraisal practice, which is why they use the terms data collection and data collector.

That the GSEs self-servingly consider it equal to or superior to an appraiser inspection is a joke, proven even now, since the more challenging properties are still inspected by the appraiser. And of course the system worked well for decades with the appraiser inspection. This is unknown territory at mass scale and might take at least several years or longer to see how well it stacks up.
Definition of property inspection:

1788359462053.png

Notice that this definition does not contain the word 'appraiser', as appraisers aren't the only people who can perform a property inspection.
 
Definition of property inspection:

View attachment 111573

Notice that this definition does not contain the word 'appraiser', as appraisers aren't the only people who can perform a property inspection.

Until they lobbied to change it, appraisers were the only ones who could perform an inspection for the purposes of an appraisal :rof:

Something about licensed appraisers are uniquely qualified to perform property inspections to determine property characteristics as they pertain to value. I know I read that in a previous version of some book, somewhere :rof:
 
Notice that this definition does not contain the word 'appraiser', as appraisers aren't the only people who can perform a property inspection.

ohio home inspection laws exempt appraisers...go figure
 
Definition of property inspection:

View attachment 111573

Notice that this definition does not contain the word 'appraiser', as appraisers aren't the only people who can perform a property inspection.
Then tell your buddies at the GSEs and ask them to change the verbiager from data collection to inspection.
 
Until they lobbied to change it, appraisers were the only ones who could perform an inspection for the purposes of an appraisal :rof:
Was this some kind of federal, or state, rule? I've never heard of this rule.
 
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top