• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Florida Ranks? - Can You Add to List?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Let me see. I heard recently Florida has ranked #1 in the nation in mortgage fraud for two years in a row. We rank where is home foreclosures? I also heard recently Florida ranks 50th out of 51 (50 states + DC) in health care for childern - the only state worse than Florida is OK. My wife, a career medical professional says Medicare fraud is rampant, especially in south Florida.

Is all this due to Florida's bad habit of advertising to the nation that everyone can come here and and retire cheap?

I can't wait to see if we are going to have another election fiasco in November.

Anyone know of any other interesting "rankings?"

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
I thought vegas and la were leading the pack - our honors were third or maybe second?

Still sad either way.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
Last I checked we are 47th in education, just behind Arkansas and in front of Mississippi, TX and Alabama.

My brother, when looking for a house where he and his 8 kids could live - moving from one of the better school districts in PA (which is ranked in the top 15 nationally) asked his agent what area had the best schools. The agent's reply: "If you were really worried about education, you wouldn't be moving to Florida".

He was floored and he asked me about it. I said, "Sounds like you have an honest agent, I'd keep her".

He researched everything on his own, found what he considers the "Best school in America" (he's a republican, loved George Bush, and loved the school grading system we have that shows Florida ahead of everyone else in the nation because we had a 5 year head start on the rest of the county with the FCAT). He bragged about these two schools "Palm Harbor University" and "Plant HS". He ended up moving to one, realizing it stunk, and so moving to the other where he is totally frustrated. He now concedes the point, Florida has a very, very bad education system.

nauthead

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
That's why I spend $6,000 per year to have my son in a private school and not in a government school.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
That's why I spend $6,000 per year to have my son in a private school and not in a government school.

I did private religious schools up north for the first 8 years growing up. When I went to public school, believe it or not, I could not believe how far behind I was in everything but religion. My wife went to private everything, right through college. We fought over the topic. I am a strong believer that kids in public school who have a good foundation at home, are going to get a better education than they would get at all but the most elite private schools, because public schools have more resources. The science equipment is better, there's a debate team, an awesome orchestra and band ensemble, drama and other clubs, and since the teachers are paid better you usually get better. In fact, this year my eigth grader in a Florida public school had 3 teachers with Ph.D.s and each one of the teachers was exceptional. But anyway, I won the argument on our first two, but we sent our two youngest to a private school, non-religious, for a couple of years. My wife was so amazed at how much better the public schools did over the private school that she pulled them out after 3 years.

I think private schools look better on paper because they can be selective; but I remain a firm believer that no matter the state the best educations come from public school system. Not the best average scores (like I said the private schools are selective) but the top students in the public schools come out better educated than the top students in most private school. Silly anecdotal example, four friends growing up went to an Ivy League school and they were all in the top of their public school class; but my wife does not know a single person from her private schools that wound up Ivy League.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The best schools are private schools. It is not even up for debate among educators. However, that should be tempered by the fact that likewise the worst schools are also private schools. Some of them are grossly under funded. As Jim notes, averages on tests are not a good way to judge a school. Neither are the number of students taking AP tests or enrolled in IB programs. The way to evaluate a school is to look at what the graduates do when they leave.

My daughter went to private school through 8th grade. Her grades were always in the bottom third of her class. Being in public school for high school has been a real boost to her self image now that she is in the top third of her class. Nothing like being around dumb people to make you feel smarter.

nauthead

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
My reasons for my son going to a private school go far beyond the education-his school routinely produces many of the brightest graduates in the area. With a private school he can actually have a Christmas party. Imagine that. Disruptive children are removed from school, no colored hair, no body piercings, dress codes, etc.

Last edited:
Professional Status
State
Florida
I did both and sent my son to private the first 4 years and public the rest. The public high school, Edgewater, is respected but we have low test scores due to bussing from the nearby F schools. I think a lot of the public system is sloppy and poor but at the same time it is strong in other areas. Social interaction education is a key to being successful in life - small private schools with limited diversity don't offer that. I agree with Jim on a lot of his points. The basis for a good education starts at home. If the parents are involved and pushing and the student is participating, then the student will succeed - no involvement generally equals no success.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
My daughter is in a public high school because she wanted Japanese as her foreign language. The public schools in Chapel Hill offer it, and are otherwise well run schools. It certainly doesn't hurt the area public schools that the majority of students have parents with college degrees. Few places in the country have that advantage. As much as any other factor, it is the quality of the family environment that determines the quality of students which in turn determines the quality of a school.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
The best schools are private schools. It is not even up for debate among educators. However, that should be tempered by the fact that likewise the worst schools are also private schools. Some of them are grossly under funded. As Jim notes, averages on tests are not a good way to judge a school. Neither are the number of students taking AP tests or enrolled in IB programs. The way to evaluate a school is to look at what the graduates do when they leave.

My daughter went to private school through 8th grade. Her grades were always in the bottom third of her class. Being in public school for high school has been a real boost to her self image now that she is in the top third of her class. Nothing like being around dumb people to make you feel smarter.

But you also moved to NC from FL, right? Sometimes states cover things in different order and it can make you feel like a genius when you go to a new school and they learning all the stuff you learned a year or two before. My senior year I moved and my Senior English class in my new school was my Junior English class in my old school. I went from a D to an A and felt real smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks