• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting to see list to sale ratios of 80-90% in some markets here, with marketing times double what they were only two months ago. Sure takes the wind out of the Realtors sails. They read the newspapers, and believe what they read.

The bust hasn’t started yet and is not going to start with typical unemployed homeowners as we saw in last housing fall in the 90th. This time, it is going to start by speculators who have bought 20-30% of residential properties in the last 3 years mostly in hot market states like California, Nevada, Florida, New York and may be Arizona. Speculators are real estate market ticking bomb ready to explode at any time. They have bought properties for growth so called appreciation unlike real estate investors who buy properties for income so called rent and cash flow. Right now, speculators have their sharp eyes on the market and as soon as they see the sign of slow down, they are going to unload their holdings all at the same time and jam the market with short sell listings. They are going to compete to sell fast and low just the same way they competed to buy fast and high. It is not going to be one homeowner default here or there, it is going to be a huge speculators short sell market.

Last edited:
Right On Target Moh

Bradellis stated above that although new construction is down 10%+, existing home sales are up 5%. Moh answered that question. That is the natural pattern of a bursting bubble. First, prices stop going up and so the new construction speculators get out. Then the speculators start dumping their stock of existing housing because there is no incentive to hold them but a big incentive to sell them off. An indication of this would be a declining average selling price for existing houses and increasing marketing periods, exactly what was stated in the news article. Once the fever starts the stampeed will begin.
Another little clue in the article: The non real estate part of the economy is doing well. The bubble was created to stimulate the economy and that has been done, now it is time to let the bubble bust and the non real estate economy pick up the slack. I told you guys a while back I heard this at the global economic conference last December in a TV interview. That is exactly what the American trade rep said they had planned. His concern is that the stampeed can get out of hand and hopes they can control it. You can't say we weren't warned about this. The Fed stated why they created the bubble and they stated why they are going to let it burst.

Seems to be a lot of buyers backing off new high priced homes in search of more affordable housing, ie.-older. Steve has it about right. I know that there is maybe 30% premium on similar houses from his market and mine 75 miles away, but we just got a good 'gander' at the Arvest Skyline Report and one town has 5,000 platted lots and 2,500+ available lots.....and this is the killer....its population is under 5,000...they have a 10 year supply of lots. Banks are beginning to sweat. SO far prices have remained high but sales are lagging for the first time in 9 years. With such a high percentage being investor owned, I suspect the fall out will be worse if someone hollars fire and the investors head for the door. THAT would be a crash. I think we are just going to see steady pressure on the down side and with it will come a whole lot of pressure on appraisers to help some over extended builder out of a pinch. That should not happen. About ½ the builders I see need to be out of business as inept builders or building cheap junk. I knew a guy who took a high paying job with a builder to ramrod construction and he quit in 3-4 months because the boss was pushing him to build substandard housing.

One builder in my small town of 2,000 told the Planning commission that they "had to" build lots of 4 per acre because they paid so much for the land they couldn't cash flow the project on large lots....80 ac. They solicited the owner to sell to them for triple the price a 100 ac. lot next door had sold only 6 mo. earlier. The commiss wanted them to build R-E (Residential Estate lots of 1 acre minimum) but went with R-1 (4 per acre) density. There will be 300 new lots, to add to almost 600 platted lots in the town whose population has double in 20 years...and we are going to double it again??? over the next 6 mo. Get real.

Moh is right-on in his comments about the speculators. Austin and others have cited that existing homes-for-sale inventory is up, days on market are becoming longer, and list vs. sale variance is negatively increasing.

If the result were limited to speculators getting out of the market, then this would be a healthy occurrence. I think it will be more significant than that (although I’m not forecasting a “collapse”). The influence of the high percentage of ARMs (Adjustable Rate Mortgages) has to be considered in certain markets (like mine, where there has been steep appreciation and now a significant cooling). Increasing interest rates, increasing inventories, and decreasing sales prices are erasing the “assumed” appreciation many people thought they would have if they purchased in the last 12-months.

How many buyers went to ARMs to maximize their purchasing power? A lot. How many were convinced (either by their own irrational exuberance, or by some loan agent hype) that the appreciation would continue? How many were “sold” on the idea that they could refinance again before the higher payments kicked in, probably with additional equity to qualify for a fixed loan, because who was predicting price declines? Or, if interest rates were more favorable for the ARMS (which, for a while, that appeared to be the case), refi with another ARM and keep the mortgage payment artificially low?

I’ve attached an actual case study I did on a review in the city where I live. Subject was purchased for $950k in 06/05. It was just appraised for $1,000,000; roughly, a 5% increase. The house is newer construction (less than 3 years old) in a master planned community of 5,000+ homes with new construction continuing at present. No change has occurred to the home since it was purchased.

The actual market data shows a real decline of 3-8% (depending on where you want to cut the time periods) since the subject was purchased. If it was purchased with a 10% down (roughly a $100k down-payment), the 90% LTV is now 95% (and that doesn’t include new financing charges). How are they going to qualify for a 30-year fixed? How are they going to qualify for another ARM that is going to be cheaper than what they have? Their payment is going to adjust upward, and by reading the stories in the news, this adjustment could be up to 50%+. Will they be able to make the payment and “ride the storm out”? Perhaps. But not everyone will. I said in another post that we might be in for a unique period of foreclosures where the primary reason is not job-loss of overall economic downturn, but because of the inability of a fully employed (probably 2-income family) borrower to make their regularly scheduled loan payment that the lender made to that borrower knowing all the facts at the time of the loan.

There was a post not to long ago about a borrower suing Ameriquest (no surprise there) for putting them into a loan they allege they couldn’t afford. The interesting thing about the suit was they included the appraiser, and in their filing, used the specific language that the appraiser arrived at a “pre-determined value” to facilitate the loan approval.

Here’s my prediction (and I’ll make it public)- Look for a class-action suit by a group of borrowers against a developer. Facts of the case: Builder in control of all the homes and consequently controls (and can manipulate) the selling prices. Builder steers borrowers to its “in-house” or “preferred” lender, offering some incentive (discount or additional upgrade credit) for using said preferred lender. Lender (who is allied with if not controlled by builder) uses its “in-house” or “preferred” appraiser (most likely, the same one over and over again for most of the deals). Lender puts borrowers in ARMs that which, if the payments are calculated at the full interest rate and therefore full payment liability, borrowers could not qualify for. As these homes are in contract or closing, builder’s inventory is building up, and builder is starting to offer significant price reductions that are disguised as design credits or lot premium concessions, etc. In-house lender (and appraiser), who is intimately familiar with development and actual prices, is not disclosing the on-gong discounts and “real dollar” lower sales prices. Borrowers, after 6-months, try to refinance and then find out sales at development have been significantly discounted, and that in-house lender cannot refi because there’s been no appreciation (or, decline as in my analysis). Borrowers find out that original value of home was based on a mix of same-builder sales (some with discounts, some without-none adequately considered in appraisal), with minimal (or no) outside development sale support. Borrowers file suit against Builder, Lender, Appraiser, and anyone else who touched the deal.

Anybody want to tell me, “Ah, Denis, you’re crazy!”
(Some may want to tell me that, but I’m talking about my Hypothetical Lawsuit only).

Attachments

This blog is worth of reading in reference to the topic. It is called the Real Estate Apologists Club (REAC).

The Apologists Club
I am pleased to announce the start of a new club. It is called the Real Estate Apologists Club (REAC). There are no dues or fees or membership drives. One can not ask or apply for membership although one can indeed be granted a membership without asking! Furthermore, one can not opt out either. If the club chooses you, you are in, whether you like it or not.
Do you know anyone to be a member of REAC?

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/

Brad Ellis said:
Austin,

But sales of existing homnes incrreased 5.2% last month.

Brad
That is the national figure, but in Florida sales of existing homes decreased 20% and existing condo sales were down 23%. The drop in sales seems to be mainly in the lower end of the market, since the median price is still rising while prices of comparable home has been basically stagnant. It should also be noted that there are currently a record 548,000 existing houses available on the market and sales of new houses were down more than 10%.

Houses are on the market a little longer, but inventory of resales is still in short supply here. New construction still booming, buyers still submitting contracts for more than the list price, and it's not unusual to see bidding wars for the more appealing properties within the $200,000 range.

I'm still very, very busy, burning the midnight oil most week nights, and the big push is Sunday night before the phones start ringing Monday morning.

Few foreclosures here. I'm talking about low inventory and Realtors being short of listings. Our new construction boom is caused by people coming from "elsewhere" in to our state to buy new construction.....Thus, having nothing to sell in our state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back