• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The market in Albuquerque appears to be holding up quite well. I just did one for a FSBO where all the guy did was put a sign in his yard. He had 6 full price offers the first day. It was in a pretty desirable neighborhood and priced at the top of the market. Nice house, it went for $250K 2100 SF, kinda weird floor plan, but otherwise OK. Upper end tract house originally.

The new home builders are setting records evert month. I am still seeing a lot of single digits days-on-market. According to many articles I have seen Albuquerque is not overpriced at all. Avaerage appreciation for the entire MLS was 14.5% a little more than the national average of 12.5%. There are pockets of course that flucuate.

I am sure Otis can add more to this observation.

Greg,

Not surprised. FL has been one of the hottest states. Why should it not cool down. But if existing home sales are up vs. the new home sales decline it indicates potentially that buyers are opting for the less expensive alternative.

It does not necessarily that buyers are leaving in droves- although some may be. I would assume so. But, by historical standards, interest rates- still below 6.5 for 30/fixed, are low, so we shall see.

Moh,

No doubt speculators are going to get their collective hats given to them. Some one posted is is 20-30% of the market. I doubt it. But, there are surely more than would survive first glance.

Anyway, realtors I spoke to around here tell me that pretty much all of those units and homes are already on the market so they doubt- again around here only-that inventoriries will soar.

Most of these speculators also took advantage of the more exotic mortgages as well trying to keep holding costs down.

Today's LA times posted price gains for the ancillary counties- all up 10% or more FEB '05 to Feb '06- did not include LA county or San Berdoo or San Diego. Let's see what LA and SBerdoo show.

Brad

I was told many times from my mentor, when business is good we are busy, when it is bad, it is also busy. If the LO or MB is smart they know how to tap into both the good typical business and foreclosures.

It's funny and sad, I am doing a foreclosure purchase, and did researching on a 5 year subdivision, 80% are foreclosures. As previously mentioned, builder/developer, all-in-house financing kind of builder. Ouch!

Brad,
It was me who posted speculators are 20-30% of the market. This was a conservative estimate. I am afraid, they are more than that
You don’t dig the market enough to find out what is going on regarding speculators. I tried to find out the occupancy ratio of a condo complex in the city of Banning, Riverside. I am sure you are familiar with that city and the income level of its residents. It is a low income community. The complex has 96 units. 51 of those condos have changed hand since 2003. One buyer purchased 25 of those 51 units. The price per unit at 2003 was low 30k, to day. it is mid 90k and this owner bought 50% of them within last 3 years. That owner last purchase was in Jan. 2006. According to my data, only 8 of 51 sales in that project since 2003 were bought by owners who were intended to live in that project . Speculators bought the rest of them. All of them are vacant. The speculators pay $170 per unit per month for HOA and pay property tax every year without any rent and just keeping them for appreciation. If speculators purchasing increased the price of 43 of them from low 30k to mid 90k, who do you think is going to buy those condos from them when the market slows down? They have created their own market and they are going to be punished by their own creation but there are some innocent homeownerws who are going to be their victims not because they bought their properties from speculators but because they bought or refinanced their properties in the market that was created by speculators. Finanicng a mortgage for refinancing or purchase in a speculator market is like giving credit card and lending money to a person who has no income. If the borrower didn't pay whose fault is it? the bank or the borrower? I think, it is the lender's responsibility to find out about the market and not to lend in a speculative market the same way that the bank should not send the credit card to kids and people with no income and then complain that they are not paying back.
Out of curiosity, I searched by the owner’s name in my data source and found out that the owner who has 25 of those low price condos, also owns anther 15 properties in other cities in Riverside, 9 properties in San Bernardino County Cities and 8 residential properties in Orange County cities such as New port Beach, Coto De Caza and Laguna Niguel.
I was not playing an investigator to do this search but out of curiosity to find out who are these speculators and how they have changed the normal trend of the market. These informations are public records and available to anyone who is interested to find out.
I can give you the tract number of that condo complex in the city of Banning if you have a good data source and time to find out that owner’s name that comes up 25 times on your search when you search for sold condos after 2003 in that project. This is only one example and there are thousands of them out there.

Last edited:
Wasn't it just last month when the news said..."housing market booming"? Wait til next month...the story will be back again.

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling...run for your lives!"

January and February of this year were two of the slowest months for me in the past five years. This month is back to normal. Could the fact that there are twice as many appraisers as there were a couple of years ago be a factor? The VA has expanded the panel here by 30%, could that be a factor? I don't do free comp searches...could that be a factor?

The new home market here is still hot. Record numbers of building permits. The local paper says...45,000 new homes in the next 10 years. Developers are turning earth every where. Colorado Springs had a population of about 45,000 when we moved here. Today the metro area is approaching 750,000. Think "the sky is falling"?

Moh,

This is anecdotal. It does not represent the full market- simply one complex in that market. I'll grant you there are others but 20-30% and thousands of such complexes?

That strains credulity. But, if you actually have the data or want to take time out to get it, I'll pay attention.

Now, I see you want to blame the banks but are not you appraisers to blame? Do the banks not ask you for percentage of owner occupancy? If it exceeds the bank's allowable percentage they do not lend on it. Does it really matter if one guy owns all the rentals or a number of investors?

I think you are making an assumption based upon inadequate data. Again, I'll repeat- they are probably more investors owning these things than we might suspect but unless you want to do the leg work for us all, please do not make such wild assumptions.

Brad

Here's kind of a frightening statistic - especially if you are an investor that purchased homes in the last year or so: In San Diego County, (population 3 million plus), there are typically 3000 to 5000 home and condo sales per month, depending on how strong the market is. Currently the figure is around 3000.

In a normal market, there are approximately 8000 to 9000 homes and condos on the market. In the spring of 2004, the inventory dropped to under 3000. In the spring of 2005, the inventory grew to a more normal 8500. Right now the inventory is at 18,000+.

Come on guys...lighten up. Geez, we still have freedom of speech in this country (I think). While I might not agree with what he said, I will defend his right to say it.

Now, Stephen, how do you interpret those numbers? Is it truly a burst of the bubble? Is it seasonal expansion of inventory? Could there have been changes in reporting?

Remember, bad news sells...good news isn't news, according to ABC.

Upon further review (I read the post again), I think I actually agree with most of what he said. Like it or not "the times they are a changing".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back