• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How much lower is a drive-by appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanoastsj

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
I recently had a drive-by appraisal done on my home that came back @ $110,000. How much lower is a drive-by appraisal (generally speaking) compared to a full appraisal? My home has been completely remodeled on the inside (granite counter tops, new kitchen, new bathroom, hardwood floors, new carpet, etc.)

Thank you!

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Your lender is trying to save on average about $100-150 by ordering a "drive-by" vs a "full" appraisal.

The question you have for your lender is why they would think this to be necessary instead of ordering a traditional appraisal.

Personally I charge the same for both reports as there is more liability for a drive by.

vanoastsj

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to rephrase my question. :icon_lol:

I would like to have the house appraise for $120,000 and the drive-by came in at $110,000. Is it possible for the full appraisal to come back $10,000 higher and would it be worth spending the extra money to have the full appraisal performed?

Thanks again!

Pilgrum

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Nevada
I charge the same for a 'Drive-By' as I do for a 1004.
Increased liability for a 'Drive-By'. More chance of discontented clients and borrowers.

Last edited:

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Absolutely! That does not mean that the appraised value will automatically be higher but it does give the appraiser a better understanding of what he/she is appraising. The appraiser that did the driveby should have adequate information about the interior of your home. Most times, that is not available. It has to come from a disinterested party.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia

I would like to have the house appraise for $120,000 and the drive-by came in at $110,000. Is it possible for the full appraisal to come back $10,000 higher and would it be worth spending the extra money to have the full appraisal performed?

Thanks again!
There is no way to answer that question without actually ordering a full appraisal. An appraiser, and strangers on line, can't answer such without knowing the market or having data to support an opinion.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I would suggest that if your lender tries to pass off the cost of a new interior appraisal on to you that you kick them to the curb ASAP as they are found guilty of trying to save themselves money at your expense. If this is the bank with your deposits, more shame on them.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I just completed a drive-by on a house two weeks ago and received an interior for the same property/same client last week.

I came in 11% higher after the interior inspection.

So the answer to you question is ....... maybe, maybe not.

cdanj

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New Jersey

Thanks again!
The answer to your question is not so simple.
But the simple answer is this:
If your house looks very updated outside (new siding, landscaping) and is not updated inside(old kitchen, baths, flooring) the value may be less if you pay for an interior.
If your home has surprising updates inside or is larger than is listed on the tax records or MLS and interior appraisal may indeed come in higher.

sail143

Professional Status
State
Rhode Island
The drive-by could be correct. Your need is not the appraiser's command. Without specific information as to upgrading and condition it is reasonable for the appraiser to conclude at the lower end of the value range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks