• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How to make adjustments for Wholesaler Assignment Fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

expo77

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
Working on an AS-IS/ARV appraisal report and my best comp that is a few houses down recently sold through a wholesaler. MLS states that the property sold for $115,000. County Tax Records state that the property sold for $99,000. Under the seller concession area on MLS the realtor states $99,000 sale price with $16,000 assignment fee. If I use this as a comparable what is the proper way to address the assignment fee? First time I've seen this directly stated on MLS.

Assignment fees are intangibles associated with a sale. They are seller concessions. And they are likely inflating the value of the property. The buyer pays it, but the seller does not get more than the $99k. What is a typical RE fee? 5%? Then why would it sell for more than $104k? I would label it what it is and call it what it is, a concession.

Working on an AS-IS/ARV appraisal report and my best comp that is a few houses down recently sold through a wholesaler. MLS states that the property sold for $115,000. County Tax Records state that the property sold for $99,000. Under the seller concession area on MLS the realtor states $99,000 sale price with $16,000 assignment fee. If I use this as a comparable what is the proper way to address the assignment fee? First time I've seen this directly stated on MLS.
I don't see how that is a good comparable, so I can't really answer the question unfortunately. I buy houses from wholesalers and they're always below market value and have at least a little in the way of repairs. Most of the time I can't even go into the property before buying and they are never listed on MLS. Is this a rare case where the "Wholesaler" listed it on MLS and it was exposed to the market?

Assignment fees are intangibles associated with a sale. They are seller concessions. And they are likely inflating the value of the property. The buyer pays it, but the seller does not get more than the $99k. What is a typical RE fee? 5%? Then why would it sell for more than $104k? I would label it what it is and call it what it is, a concession.
In wholesale transactions, there is typically no realtor fee. The Wholesaler negotiates deals with typically distressed sellers for x amount with an assignment clause, and they end up assigning the sale to an investor for a higher sales price than negotiated with the seller. The Wholesaler pockets the difference and never owns the home.

I don't see how that is a good comparable, so I can't really answer the question unfortunately. I buy houses from wholesalers and they're always below market value and have at least a little in the way of repairs. Most of the time I can't even go into the property before buying and they are never listed on MLS. Is this a rare case where the "Wholesaler" listed it on MLS and it was exposed to the market?
It's a good comparable as it needs similar work just like the subject. It was listed on MLS so that's why it's confusing, I don't normally see that. Since the buyer had to pay 99k + 16k it seems like the market value would be 115k even though it will only be recorded as 99k

The Wholesaler pockets the difference and never owns the home.
Correct but if the seller wanted "out" and listed instead with an agent, then typically a seller says, "I need $X to get out and you get whatever you can above it."

In wholesale transactions, there is typically no realtor fee. The Wholesaler negotiates deals with typically distressed sellers for x amount with an assignment clause, and they end up assigning the sale to an investor for a higher sales price than negotiated with the seller. The Wholesaler pockets the difference and never owns the home.
I understand that process. However I'm debating with myself if I use it as a comparable would I use a base price of 115k or 99k. The county tax records will only show the 99k but the buyer had to pay the 16k assignment fee.

Since the buyer had to pay 99k + 16k it seems like the market value would be 115k even though it will only be recorded as 99k
But that fee is intangible. The buyer only got $99k - it's a choice and I know which I'd rather defend since the AMC etc will look at the transaction fee listed in the public record.

If it was listed on MLS, it wasn't a wholesale transaction. It's possible the realtor threw it in MLS after the deal was made but a true wholesale transaction isn't exposed to the market that way.

Seems to me like the seller got $83,000, the Wholesaler sold it for $99,000 and got the $16,000 from title at closing. Therefore your number for sales price is $99,000 if you choose to use it, but I maintain it's probably not an arms length transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back