• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hurricane Helena devastation in NC!

Rutherford County Hurricane Daily Briefing: October 7, 10:00 AM
MISSING PERSONS STATISTICS:
• 1,021 individuals have been located and confirmed safe.
• 62 active missing person investigations.
• 3 total deceased in Rutherford County.
POWER OUTAGES:
• Duke Energy: less than 3,000 customers without power. (90% restored)
• Rutherford Electric: 1,554 customers without power (77% restored)
• Forest City Electric: (100% restored)
EMERGENCY SHELTER:
20 individuals are currently housed at the shelter at Rutherfordton Presbyterian Church. The Red Cross is managing the shelter and relocated it on Sunday to allow schools to reopen on Wednesday.
FEMA ASSISTANCE:
Apply for assistance on: FEMA App, or www.disasterassistance.gov, or 1-800-621-3362. In person available 9-6pm at:
- Lake Lure Baptist Church: 6837 US-74 ALT, Lake Lure, NC 28746
- Ingles in Lake Lure: 276 NC-9, Lake Lure, NC 28746
ROAD ACCESS IN LAKE LURE:
Chimney Rock Village: Only essential personnel (fire department and village officials) have emergency passes. No resident passes have been issued. Lake Lure: Access near the Town Center is restricted. Residents may return home but must show proof of residency at checkpoints.
MOBILE HEALTH CLINIC:
Located at Rutherford County EMS Station on Bills Creek Road, Lake Lure. Open from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, the clinic offers services for chronic disease management, prescriptions, minor strains and sprains, and flu/COVID testing.
EBT BENEFITS:
Rutherford County Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) participants now have replacement benefits on their EBT cards. The USDA approved 70% of the September benefit for participants in Rutherford County. This replacement is automatic; no action is needed.
• Visit www.ebtedge.com and log in or register.
• Download the free ebtEDGE app on the Apple Store or Google Play.
• Call 1-888-622-7328 to activate your PIN.
VOLUNTEERS AND SUPPLIES:
Your donations and volunteer efforts have made a tremendous impact. We are currently at full capacity and do not need additional supplies at this time. We are transitioning to a single distribution site in Lake Lure and will provide more information as it becomes available. We will continue to share specific needs as they arise. This recovery will take time, and your ongoing support will be crucial in the weeks ahead.
MONETARY DONATIONS: 100% of contributions will go to disaster relief. Go to:rhilegacyfoundation.com and unitedwayofrutherford.org

Interstate 75 in Tampa is packed this morning. Probably been packed a day or two. I hate driving on packed interstate. What if I have to go to the bathroom or need gas?

I guess it's better than the alternative. What if my dog needs to go to the bathroom? It will probably be packed all day today and tomorrow until you get further north.

I'm not there. They just showed pictures of the traffic on I-75 out of Tampa

Last edited:
Gas is probably $9.99 a gallon on interstate exit.

I bought gas at sam's a day or two ago for $2.42.9 a gallon. They always put that 9/10 of a cent gallon on prices here.

8 to 15 feet storm surge. That is not going to be good if you are close to the shoreline. That land lays pretty flat in there. I think it is about even with sea level. Some probably lower, some a little higher than sea level.

Some of my family always rent a house on the panhandle right on the beach somewhere for vacation. They always buy vacation insurance in case they have to cancel the trip.

I think the insurance they buy includes so much medical insurance too like if you need a doctor close by. I don't know what all it covers.

I don't think it covers a house on the beach with 8-15 ft storm surge.

Last edited:
There are more transfer trucks headed to east TN and NC from Memphis today with donations. They said you only have until 6 pm today. Because these trucks are leaving early in the morning for East TN and NC.

National guard is helping sort everything and distributed by counties. Still need items like diapers, grills, chain saws. I don't know what all. They have to go through all the donations and distribute them where needed. They said we will be open for these people until they can recover.

Last edited:
Mayor has told some locals if they don't leave, they are going to die. I think about the people that can't drive. Somebody needs to get them on greyhound buses. Pack a small bag with your meds and let's go.

People are even driving in the emergency lane on the side of the interstate. Some of the idiots look like they are driving into the storm. Turn around. Don't drown.

Last edited:
These are items they are asking for more donations for in Memphis for East TN and North Carolina:

Donation Items Needed:

Food: Non-perishable food, snacks, ready-to-eat meals, and bottled drinking water

Hygiene items: Toiletries, soap, detergent, disinfectant, hand sanitizer, and feminine hygiene products

Personal care items: Toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, Q-tips, combs, hairbrushes, shampoo, and conditioner

Baby items: Diapers, wipes, formula, baby food, and rash cream

Cleaning supplies: Rags, mops, brooms, scrub brushes, and garbage bags

Utility tools: Charcoal, Gas Cans, and new unopened toys

Disaster center said they will be open as long as it takes. They separate items into categories and distribute them where needed. I left out Grills, propane heaters etc.

Sad.

National Guard is helping along with tons of volunteers and other agencies. I saw national guard loading things on trucks in uniform with a forklift after the donations were separated.

Last edited:
This is false: FEMA does not ask for or generally accept any cash donations or volunteers for disaster response. We do encourage people who want to help to volunteer with or donate cash to reputable voluntary or charitable organizations. After a disaster, cash is often the best way to help as it provides the greatest flexibility for these reputable organizations working on the ground to purchase exactly what is needed.

If you encounter someone claiming to represent FEMA and asking for donations, be careful as that is likely a scam. Government employees will never solicit money.

FEMA does not... however, there are plenty of people who are willing to take advantage of a bad situation by perpetrating scams. One of those scams is pretending to be a FEMA or other government official.

Reactions: Zoe
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back