• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I guess everyone is really busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appraisers Migrating to East Tennessee

A little insight for those out-of-state appraisers who think East Tennessee is the land of milk and honey. In the Chattanooga area in the past 12 months, we have had approximately 2 new multi-million dollar subdivisions foreclosed on. Most recently, a guy who wrote a check for several million dollars 5-6 years ago to UT-Chattanooga to pay off debt just lost a 200-lot S/D on which he owed a local bank $6.5 million; next door to him, a second small bank is currently fighting in bankruptcy court over a $3 million loan on a 90 percent complete S/D where the developer has run out of money. Both of these are in the highest growth section of the county! A mile +/- from these 2 S/D's, several builders have been selling homes at--or below--cost over the past 3-4 months in a third new S/D; 80-90 new homes in the $225-275K range. Hardly nothing selling. The past 3-4 I have done in the S/D have fallen 15-25K below Marshall and Swift in Cost. (I'm in my 18th year, and I know what I am doing). The major lenders in our market have gone to rotation panels, and if you haven't been in the market at least 10 years, don't bother calling on them. Personally, it's great. The loan officers are no longer permitted to communicate with the appraiser! It's a whole new day. There's probably 25 local appraisers ahead of you giving their best to crack the major lenders. Skippies? Who are they going to work for? The small mortgage companies are almost all gone! And the state has finally started dealing with them. One other item of interest: we had 1,500 foreclosures in our market last year. The numbers are increasing this year. I have been on my own 12 years and have work, but major lender clients are telling me that things have slowed. For those not familiar, interest rates are moving up as the bond markets have gotten really nervous over Fannie/Freddie. And underwriting seems to get more stringent weekly. Local MLS data relesed last week showed an 18% year-over-year drop in median sales value, and a substantial drop in the number of sales. Knoxville may be great, but Chattanooga has a long, long way to go. We will be back with a VW plant secured in recent days, but it ain't gonna happen overnight. Inventory/absorption is 2-years plus. Local board of realtors has lost approximately 30 percent of its membership. How much more do you want. By the way, I still see the glass as half full. I moved my office to my home 3 years ago; my home is paid for; my autos are paid for; my son graduated from college in the Spring; I owe nothing. I will survive. I am not so sure about any aspiring newcomers who are fleeing down markets. Good luck to all those poor souls. Personally, I suggest you consider an alternate career . . .
 
Hi Ron, Do you know how the market is in and around Nashville? We have a prospective buyer from the Nashville area (near the GM plant but I don't have the town name yet). They want to put in an offer on a house here in NY but it is contingent on them selling their home in Tennessee. The owner's son said the homes in her neighborhood are selling in the $150,000 - $250,000 range and claims that they are selling quickly. Do you know the Nashville area, average days on market, etc? Thanks, Patsy
 
Dean, you are very wise in sending that guy the pm. What a dumb *** he was and is! Personally, I would advise you to take down just what you put up here to be sure. Somebody will dig it up. I know I have already said it, but I witnessed a person lose a dream piece of real estate because he innocently put a very vague comment on a tiny, I mean a tiny, internet message board. It has maybe 1,000 members as compared to 100,000 here.

PS, the reason Scott remembers me, is that I could actually double as Tom Selleck. Another reason we should have a private Tennessee forum rather than this open one. The women will beat the doors down and I'm a married man. If Scott promises not to tell anyone I look like Tom Selleck, I promise not to tell anyone he could pass for the clone of Brad Pitt.

In case it's lost in translation, do they had a proper word in England for the above paragraph is bull ****?



That's too funny, Willie! :rof::rof::rof:
 
Nashville is suffering like all other markets. What was once hot is not. Inventory levels are high, and it is definitely not a boom market. Too many homes, too few buyers.
 
Dean, you are very wise in sending that guy the pm. What a dumb *** he was and is! Personally, I would advise you to take down just what you put up here to be sure. Somebody will dig it up. I know I have already said it, but I witnessed a person lose a dream piece of real estate because he innocently put a very vague comment on a tiny, I mean a tiny, internet message board. It has maybe 1,000 members as compared to 100,000 here.

PS, the reason Scott remembers me, is that I could actually double as Tom Selleck. Another reason we should have a private Tennessee forum rather than this open one. The women will beat the doors down and I'm a married man. If Scott promises not to tell anyone I look like Tom Selleck, I promise not to tell anyone he could pass for the clone of Brad Pitt.

In case it's lost in translation, do they had a proper word in England for the above paragraph is bull ****?

i dont know Willie, im kind of a live life by the seat of my pants kind of guy. i dont like to do things the easy way.
if anyone sees my posts and decides to move to TN to get part of the amazing appraisal stash, who am i to squash their dreams. But, i think if you are failing in florida, you probably wont be a big hit in tennessee.
i think too many people live their life worrying about what may happen tomorrow. by doing that, you kind of miss out on what is happening today.
we should have this dicussion every week though because boy, ive had a great week!

No matter what language you speak, bull**** it is bull**** anywhere you are!
 
Hi Ron, Do you know how the market is in and around Nashville? We have a prospective buyer from the Nashville area (near the GM plant but I don't have the town name yet). They want to put in an offer on a house here in NY but it is contingent on them selling their home in Tennessee. The owner's son said the homes in her neighborhood are selling in the $150,000 - $250,000 range and claims that they are selling quickly. Do you know the Nashville area, average days on market, etc? Thanks, Patsy


Brockway, if you need an appraisal, pm me.
 
Thanks, Ron, it is just as I thought. I'm sure the owner wouldn't entertain a contingent offer until the "buyer's" home in Tennessee is under contract.

Thanks, Willie, but I am not involved in anything on the Tennesee end of things. Apparently, the owners have spoken with an agent but haven't listed their house yet. If I find they need an appraiser I'll pm you.

Have a great weekend, guys. Patsy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top