• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I need help with the certification test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottPAG

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I am a trainee appraiser and new to this forum. I am about to sit for my certification test. Here's my problem. I am strictly a SFR appraiser and very rarely will have to even attempt the income approach. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I need to study? (I live in Alabama if that makes a difference) Thanks.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
Hone up on your math by determining the ratio of Bama football victories over LSU during the past decade...and that should also be good practice for data concerning declining markets (sorry but I couldn't help it being a former Tiger)...

ScottPAG

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Alabama
I don't mind. I am an Auburn grad.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
From what I hear the new test is a lot harder than the old one and you need to know as much as possible. So you need to learn about GRMs and 2-4 family properties. There are books on small residential appraising, I would start with the Appraisal Institute in that they have excellent publications. You might also want to take a class.

www.appraisalinstitute.com

If you e-mail me I will give your name to an appraiser I know who took the new test. Two more I know are taking the test in late July.

Blueprint

Professional Status
State
Oregon
The new exam is definitely tougher. You need to learn how to apply the income approach, cost approach, sales approach, USPAP etc in real world situations. On the old exam, you only needed to learn the appraisal concepts. On the new one, you need to actually be able to apply them. That is the main difference between the old and the new.

Most the the available study guides on this forum are outdated for the new exam. I don't think there are any updated guides for the new exam as of yet, but not 100% sure. Regardless, I would just go with a good resource from AI or the like and learn the income/cost approaches from scratch.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Study the six functions of 1 and be able to do the problems in your sleep and all will probably be well.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
Greg's advise is good. I leave everything to the last minute and the night before I took my Florida exam the Yankees were playing and the game was really, really good. I figured, eh, I've been doing this forever, already passed the NJ exam years before, and taking the test is just a formality. Oh boy was I wrong. Everything was function of the dollar, and if it wasn't that it was THE E 1/4 OF THE NW 1/4 OF THE, you know, the section/township/range thing we don't use in the 13 original colonies (namely NJ) so I didn't have a clue.

I really felt someone snuck in the commercial test on me and to this day I still kind of believe that. Six functions of a dollar was big though.

CGgonnabee

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
The best advice I got from my mentor was "take your classes through the Appraisal Institute". Expensive, but worth every dime.

Check out their website for study materials...I would share mine, but they are on loan to a co-worker right now. Good luck.:flowers:

tyfsu

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Scott,

I just took the new Florida Exam a few weeks ago and it was pure hell but I passed it on my first attempt. The description of the exam said "National Appraisers Exam" so I guess this means it’s a more standardized nation wide exam now??? But I'm not really sure. Anyways, I received the best advice from a fellow forum member who recently took the exam before I did. Here is his email to me and I have to say he was spot on.

Hi Tyler -
>
> Let me first wish you luck on the exam. It is the hardest test I've ever
> taken in my life. I read well and read fast, but there were questions I had
> to read five and six times trying to understand what in the bejesus they
> wanted answered. I took the blasted thing twice - I missed passing by two
> questions the first time.
>
> I did XXXXX XXXXXXXXXX online and frankly it was a waste of money. The
> questions are complex and XXXXX's looked more like what I've heard about the
> old test. There was a lot of Potential Gross Income through Effective Gross
> Income (make sure you know all of the steps). I had questions that you'd
> have to work through PGI all the way to EGI and then the question would give
> you a number and ask what it corresponded to in the sequence.
>
> Yes, know USPAP and what all the standards relate to (and the different
> parts of USPAP and what is mandatory and what is simply extra material to
> help you understand). There is a huge amount of math so review all of your
> math questions you can find.
>
> Know your ethics, know the order in which you make adjustments, know the
> order in which you do an appraisal (at what point do you determine the SOW,
> etc).
>

>
> Take your time, get plenty of sleep, and read every question twice. You can
> have a thirty minute break in the middle of the test.
>
> I hate to say it, but the best prep I got for the test was taking it the
> first time. I don't have any great study material to recommend. I had the
> book from XXXXX XXXXXXXXX which was pretty good, just his online questions
> were crummy and not of the same complexity of the actual test.
>
> Hopefully you'll do great and won't have to fork out another $54 to sit for
> it again.
>
> Good luck!
>
> PS - I started studying 6 weeks before I took the test the first time and
> really buckled down the immediate 3 weeks prior. It is really that hard.
> If you don't pass the first time, you have to wait 24 hours to schedule your
> next exam. The Orlando area testing centers had a three week wait so I
> ended up driving to Ormond Beach and took it the second time 5 days after
> the first.

I did not disclose the forum members name as I didn't ask him prior to writing this response. I'm sure he won't mind me posting the general content of our emails as we are here to help one another.

GOOD LUCK!

Now I'm waiting on the moderator to update my professional status!!! hint hint. :new_smile-l:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks