• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is there a helpful report writing software for commercial appraisers? Clickforms, Alamode, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljtimming

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Georgia
I've heard various opinions on this. Can one use a report writing software for commercial appraisal reports? Some say every appraisal just varies too much to make it efficient in the commercial world. Others speak of these softwares/ templates like the're gold.

Currently I just find a similar report from my past and use MS Word and Excel to rewrite it. Am I behind the times? Or is this just the standard?

Thank you for your opinions!

narrative 1, datappraise, edge (by realwired), valcre

You can use a program like Narrative 1, etc. There are several. But I do not use them. I use Word Perfect and I build my own templates. I can bet you can make good templates yourself. But I recommend you take a class either a business word processing class at a private school or perhaps your local Vo Tech or college. My ex used to teach such classes at a local University in word processing and spreadsheets.

Cloning an old report will eventually cause you to put in a horrible mistake. Avoid cloning.

Create a single (or two if needed) page summary of each sale and save to a subfolder. Create a template file for the Intro and certifications. Create templates for your exhibits and photos. And use some sort of FILL IN feature (I think that is what Word calls it) to create a skeleton that you fill in as you hop from field to field. In Word Perfect it is called a merge file and the "keyboard" function lets you type long sentences whereas you can create check boxes etc with the macro function. Again, a good bit of schooling can be had for the cost of just one year of a template subscription.

Again, a good bit of schooling can be had for the cost of just one year of a template subscription.
I don't often disagree with you Terrel, and I am sure your process works for you; but, writing commercial appraisal reports without some sort of advance software capability is crazy. If you are not fluent in macros, just buy the software, its worth it.

As for the above, yes, you may get a three hour course in for the cost of a year of software subscription, but what is your time worth? Even if you purchase the software subscription, it will take you months or years to perfect how you want it to operate.

Going from typing over and copying and pasting tables from excel to word vs. macro-linked excel and word docs is like going from a brick phone to an IPhone X. In addition nearly all report writing software have comp databases that are really where you get your money's worth.

If you are not fluent in macros, just buy the software, its worth it.
My templates work for me and the cost of a subscription is zip. Macros are a very small part of it. The fill in feature allows you to fill out the correct answers jumping from field to field just like a form, only it is in sentences. Further, WP has built in spreadsheet so I can also do calculations without jumping in and out of Excell or imbedding excel routines in the Word doc. I can usually write a report in 2 hours and have zero cloning to do.
1574386214732.png

Valcre is worth a look, recently announced affinity agreement with Appraisal Institute, integration with other aligned tools such as stdb and pwc, valcre.com

Thanks so much for the information,

I'm looking into the mentioned softwares and classes. It currently takes me about a week on average to get through writing a commercial report, so speeding up the process eventually will be really nice. I appreciate the ability to keep reports slimmed down with Word Perfect, but also the simplicity offered by the other mentioned programs. It's good to know there is technology out there for speeding up the process once I can work more independently.

Last edited:
Also just looked into Valcre, dang! That looks slick!

It currently takes me about a week on average to get through writing a commercial report
Holy cow! I can inspect, research, and write a poultry farm report....about 2 to 3 days. I wrote a book in a couple of weeks.

My partner and I have used N1 or a preceding Word Perfect program for more than 30 years. I am not pushing one particular program over another, just saying we found something that has worked for us and haven't changed. My partner is retiring next year and over the winter I will be reviewing other commercial programs just to see what is out there.

From a time standpoint I can type a commercial report in 6 to 8 hours, if I have most of the information pulled together. If I am gathering information such as M&S cost, land sales, comparable sales, income/expense, zoning, taxes, ownership history, flood, wetlands, environmental, etc. then obviously it takes longer. My normal workflow is to have completed all of my field work, then pull all of the needed information together, run some rough numbers for the various approaches, consider H&BU, etc. and then sit down and write the report having the various pieces of information laid out in the order I will need it. Despite having a complete library of all of my previous appraisals contained in the software program I always start with a clean document, even if I appraised the same property previously, and then import whatever information is appropriate. It is amazing how often I look at an old report and think I could have said that better or I have a slightly different perspective.

Disregarding the time involved for the property inspection I probably have between 10 and 20 hours tied up in most (I don't do AMC work) appraisals. Odd ball residential and simple commercial at the lower end and more involved assignments at the upper end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back