• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Kitchen in the basement - illegal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever happened to common sense, seems to be lost on this board.

Pretty easy to determine if it's a 2 unit dwelling or a home with a kitchen in the basement. In my market, as PP stated, Eye-Talian basement kitchens are everywhere. Kosher as well.

I inspected an upscale 600K home the other day. In the basement, a full granite topped, you name it high end kitchen. Need I say what the nationality was?

How similar is the Isle of Malta to the Windy City?:unsure:

I think common sense is common sense anywhere.

Whatever happened to common sense, seems to be lost on this board.

Pretty easy to determine if it's a 2 unit dwelling or a home with a kitchen in the basement. In my market, as PP stated, Eye-Talian basement kitchens are everywhere. Kosher as well.

I inspected an upscale 600K home the other day. In the basement, a full granite topped, you name it high end kitchen. Need I say what the nationality was?

It's not the SFR with the summer kitchen that is usually the issue. The OP was referring to a 2 unit with a 3rd kitchen in basement.

I KNOW when it is intended for an illegal apartment or part of the residents' rec room. But for me to insert my opinion as to what the city's opinion will be is the tricky part.

The FOIA requests will prove to be abut useless for lending work, way too slow.

I am liking Webbed's CB4 solution.

I will go on record right here, right now and offer $100.00 to anyone who can provide a verifiable source on the legality/illegality of (yes cash, it is Chicago) 2nd kitchens in Chicago. Not accessory units, but 2nd kitchens.

This source can be in writing, on the web or even a verifiable inspector who will be so bold as to make a declarative statement.

Just had this issue this week. I had a 3 flat with kitchen/ possible related living in basement. Originally explained what it was and said no income form any use of basement (if any) was considered in appraisal report. Client had questions so did a little more digging.
First call to zoning dept actually answered and directed to anither person/ department.

Called 312-744-2387 (forget if it was building or zoning dept), expalined the situation and was informed in no uncertain terms that kitchen in basement is not legal.
Also very possible that if I called this number tomorrow with same question, I could get a different answer.

Just had this issue this week. I had a 3 flat with kitchen/ possible related living in basement. Originally explained what it was and said no income form any use of basement (if any) was considered in appraisal report. Client had questions so did a little more digging.
First call to zoning dept actually answered and directed to anither person/ department.

Called 312-744-2387 (forget if it was building or zoning dept), expalined the situation and was informed in no uncertain terms that kitchen in basement is not legal.
Also very possible that if I called this number tomorrow with same question, I could get a different answer.

I will call Monday and if I get the same answer, I will ask them to cite the reference along with providing their name, rank and serial #. If they can and do that, your hundo is on its way. To you or your favorite charity. :flowers:

I will call Monday and if I get the same answer, I will ask them to cite the reference along with providing their name, rank and serial #. If they can and do that, your hundo is on its way. To you or your favorite charity. :flowers:
Department : Zoning and Land Use Planning
Workgroup : Zoning and Land Use Planning
Employee Name : GAETA, JOSE
Job Title : ZONING PLAN EXAMINER
Business : 312-744-2387
Business Address : 121 N LASALLE ST, ROOM 905 CHICAGO, IL 60602

Department : Zoning and Land Use Planning
Workgroup : Zoning and Land Use Planning
Employee Name : GAETA, JOSE
Job Title : ZONING PLAN EXAMINER
Business : 312-744-2387
Business Address : 121 N LASALLE ST, ROOM 905 CHICAGO, IL 60602

More good info!

Drumroll please for Monday's Q&A.

Basement kitchens

Personal experience: I remember a past FHA refi assignment (no cash-out) around Western Ave & Peterson Ave in Chicago. I inspected a 2 story, 2 unit brick building which originally had an inlaw apartment in the basement. My inspection found only 3 partitioned walls in a small area which was a bath in the basement. My observation of the floor found various lines in the vinyl tile flooring which I knew what it was. I questioned the owner about the lines in the floor. The owner replied: Someone blew the whistle and reported the level to the city. The city inspector came out and made the owner remove all partition walls with the exception of the bathroom walls.

I remember another mid-aged, 2 story, 1-unit building I appraised on 79th Street with a garden unit for a purchase. Zoning did not allow for 3 unit buildings. All three levels (including the garden level) had the same kitchens, baths and flooring. Yes, garden apartment also had hardwood flooring. County recognized the property as a 2-story, 2 unit building. I called for a zoning certification from the city of Chicago to comment on the number of legal units. Boy, you would not believe the grief I got from the realtor and mortgage lady. Certification came back as 2 legal units, not 3 units. Never did find the out come of my certification call. Nor did I ever hear back from the client. However, I did get paid for the work.

Personal experience: I remember a past FHA refi assignment (no cash-out) around Western Ave & Peterson Ave in Chicago. I inspected a 2 story, 2 unit brick building which originally had an inlaw apartment in the basement. My inspection found only 3 partitioned walls in a small area which was a bath in the basement. My observation of the floor found various lines in the vinyl tile flooring which I knew what it was. I questioned the owner about the lines in the floor. The owner replied: Someone blew the whistle and reported the level to the city. The city inspector came out and made the owner remove all partition walls with the exception of the bathroom walls.

Typically, the ones if seen with the dime dropped is when it is rented. A former, disgruntled tenant usually is the culprit.

Funny, next door to a house I had in Norwood Park was a finished basement done w/o permits. Someone dropped the dime on old Dominick, but gave my address by mistake. Inspector tried to give me the runaround that because it my address, he had to inspect my house.

I nearly kicked him off the stoop, luckily he saw my 75# Dobie standing sentry at my side. Never heard about it again.

Anywho, I called the city today. 3 times actually. 3rd time I left a message, we'll see the followup. :rof:

In some suburban areas of Chicago, I have seen laundry rooms converted to Kitchens wrapped in tin foil and vented because of the strong odors of spices the homeowners use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back