• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Live "in-person" Education From A Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too love live classes but trying to find a talented instructor with fresh material is a challenge for certain. I cut my teeth on AI classes and flew around the country for one week at a time. The qulaity of education I received was outstanding.

My initial concern with my state board was that I could not "sit in" on an AI course (through a webcam.)

Even if the course instructor was agreeable to it, it was impossible. I even offered an extra $100 to offset the hassle. (I could not take the class (physically) in person.) So by my way of thinking, the system failed me. Not allowing options as I am seeking has limited my ability to take part in on-going professional education.

As I mentioned in my original post, the policy was put in place presuming "video" classes or other non-live process. The "fix" would be easy, it just requires adjusting the definition of "distance" (as the outdated definition refers to television education, etc. I am not even sure that there was a lot of Internet-based education for appraiser in 1994.)

The AI would not even let me take the class if I did not care about "credit" because they were afraid of running afoul of the board an d its dated policy.

Since I became an appraiser, I have gotten two advanced degrees, yet somehow I feel like Mr. Wayne R. Miller thinks I am trying to put one over on him. His attitude is priceless.

(As far as your commnet regarding poor educational offerings, I agree that there are some terrible ones out there. I have taken classes from many providers over the years when a topic comes up that is new to me. But improving education standards is a completely different issue.)

Reactions: Eli
I have no doubt there must be a way to verify you are physically online. I am pretty sure there are live options to distance learning but I would have to verify it. It is likely just a question of profits. My guess is that doing something live and not making it available on demand might not be profitable. Pre Internet AI did live classes via TV. IT was kind of weird. We sat in a room and there was a proctor from a local AI chapter to ensure we were indeed there. It didn't really work too well. My guess is they didn't make enough money from it to make it worth their while.

I think the topic of education is going to become front and center. Clients are getting more and more concerned about quality. A lot of appraisers want fast and cheap because they can. It is a viscous cycle and not a virtuous one.

If there was demand the market would be crowded with all sorts of opportunities.

If you fall into a category protected by the ADA, you might have an issue with the ASC.
If you are advocating on behalf of an appraiser that is protected by the ADA, you might seek out how to best address it here.
http://www.ada.gov/

I'll agree with you it would be more convenient to sit here and attend AI classes anywhere in the world via Skype or some similar technology, but realize the money I save myself, is money I have not spent in the economies of the places were those classes are offered, so there is conflicting interests between me, and the businesses, and sales taxing governments of those places. That, and understanding the rule of law is to "grow" the economy at any expense, and, finding an ear in Washington to listen to how you aren't going to spend money, might just be a little outside the realm of reality right now.

I have also approached the AQB about offering education in a "Live-Distance" format. They have been open to my comments, but have also said that it would not be a high priority unless others commented as well, demonstrating a need to dedicate resources to looking at it.

If you can send me details about when you contacted them, I will use it against his argument that this is not really an issue and that the stakeholders like things the way they are. He is being disingenuous.

If there was demand the market would be crowded with all sorts of opportunities.

Yes. Let's compare demand in 1992 to demand today and try to explain why demand was so great in 1992 versus today. Please try to explain how the overall market structure of the appraisal profession has nothing to do with it, or has a tremendous amount to do with it. I will make the first points.

The market structure of the appraisal profession was not the same in 1992 as it is today (the market structure was more of a free market then vs now). Demand for appraisal education is not the same today as it was in 1992.

I don't think the OP sees a good excuse for his situation.

I do not know the exact dates. I have addressed it in person with Wayne at a couple of AQB/TAF meetings.

As I understand it, the real problem lies with the IDEC requirements. In order for AQB to allow "live-distance" the AQB would have to develop new/additional standards or IDEC woudl have to modify their standards.

I am not so sure about that. I woudl love to offer such seminars, but there is no need to develop live-distance courses right now, because they cannot be approved. Its a chicken and egg thing :)

Yes. Let's compare demand in 1992 to demand today and try to explain why demand was so great in 1992 versus today. Please try to explain how the overall market structure of the appraisal profession has nothing to do with it, or has a tremendous amount to do with it. I will make the first points.

The market structure of the appraisal profession was not the same in 1992 as it is today (the market structure was more of a free market then vs now). Demand for appraisal education is not the same today as it was in 1992.

I don't think the OP sees a good excuse for his situation.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying.

I simply want to take a course without needing to drive a hundred miles to another city (etc.) Surely there are many appraisers in small towns who have to spend a lot of extra time and money to travel to live classes.

The classes are already there. So what is the "good excuse for my situation" that you are referring to? That the market has changed? The AI is still in place, so I would just be adding to their profits. Since I cannot take their course, I am forced to take on-line courses.

I simply want to take a course without needing to drive a hundred miles to another city (etc.) Surely there are many appraisers in small towns who have to spend a lot of extra time and money to travel to live classes.

The classes are already there. So what is the "good excuse for my situation" that you are referring to? That the market has changed? The AI is still in place, so I would just be adding to their profits. Since I cannot take their course, I am forced to take on-line courses.

Sorry, I got sidetracked. There is no good excuse for your situation, imo. I thought you might have a handicap too. Either way, there is no good excuse that I have heard.

I just did a quick check of the IDECC website. You can do synchronous courses. So my guess is that it is not financially feasible to to offer them. A course on demand allows an appraiser to consumer the information as time allows. That seems to work with most everyone's schedules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back