• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Loading the Cap Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb2010

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Illinois
When is it appropriate to "load" the cap rate when doing an income analysis?:shrug:

john snyder

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
By loading the rate are you referring to an ad valorem problem?

jbs

jb2010

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Illinois
Just want to compute the value of an income producing office building. There's only one tenant and the tenant pays the property tax (along with all the other operating expenses).

Dennis J. Black ASA IFAS

Professional Status
State
Florida
If you want to determine the value why not hire an appraiser? You see we have specialized training. Think of it this way. You have teeth. You brush your teeth and inspect them on a regular basis. You know about your teeth, but that does not make you a dentist.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
When tenants pay all expenses it is common for them to also pay the property taxes.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Im still scratching my head at "loading" a cap rate. The poster really hasnt described what it is they are asking ... impossible to answer.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I think he wants to lower/raise the cap rate depending on who pays property taxes.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I don't understand what you mean by "loading" the cap rate. Leases can be net, gross, or modified gross... and you have to verify your rent comps to make adjustments. Once you make proper adjustments to the rent comps, and know a market rent, you can develop a "real" cap rate without playing funny money games.

jb2010

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Illinois
Timothy Evans has it right. That's what I'm asking.

Dennis J. Black ASA IFAS

Professional Status
State
Florida
Well if that is what you are asking here is the answer. NEVER. Who pays the taxes effects NOI, not the rate.

Maybe we can be more helpful if you tell us why you are asking. Are you a finance student? Are you considering buying an investment property? The more we know, the more guidance we can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks