• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Looking For Student Apartment Comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWISC

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Wisconsin appraisers. I am looking for sales of student apartments in and around colleges and universities. I would be grateful for anything you may have.

D

Deleted member 130081

What area? 1-4 family or larger buildings? Why are you struggling to find sales?

GWISC

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
30+ units. Sales of student housing apartments are not plentiful.

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
30+ units. Sales of student housing apartments are not plentiful.
You'll probably need to expand your search parameters to include other types of student rentals like duplex, triplex and quads and carefully adjust for the variances that those contribute. I hope you are getting at least $2500 fee plus mileage. That's an ugly complex order you got there.

GWISC

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Thanks residentialguy. After 25 years as a residential appraiser, I am trying my hand at commercial. I am working for and being mentored by a long time friend in the commercial appraisal business. Yes, we get fees close to what you suggest. Unfortunately, comps for near campus student housing is hard to find. I just thought I would see if anyone out there had a good comp that was not on the normal radar of searches.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
You need to look at college/university campuses all around the state/ region. Have you checked information from thee student housing reits?

Ps i hope the fee is higher than resguy suggested

GWISC

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Thanks for the inputs. I will search the website suggested by gregb. The fees are not my call. I am a grunt working for someone else, learning something new.

GWISC

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Oh, and I will look into the reits as Howard suggested. Thanks again.

Gobears81

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
OP-If you are doing an appraisal near UW-Madison, I'd certainly focus on that area and have a hard time believing that there aren't sales out there for that market. If you are doing student apartments in another town, maybe try to identify other comparably-sized universities, but it is also important to identify enrollment trends in those universities. For example, I just completed a couple appraisals of student apartments near a state university where enrollment is 60% of what it was ten years ago. Yet there are a couple of universities in IL where enrollment is increasing, and as you might expect, there is a significant difference in rents, cap rates, vacancy, etc. between the two locations. This could warrant quite large locational adjustments, or outright elimination of consideration of some locations as comparison to your property. Some of the most notable supply and demand experiences that I've dealt with involves student housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks