• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Manufactured - Modular

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I know how to determine the difference as well as the application of site-built comps for modular.

Question is: Would a Title Report address the distinction between manufactured and modular?

Just curious.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Run Forrest run?
Sorry, no help here. Maybe CAN will chime in.
He's the man with this stuff.

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Unless it includes a vehicle title to a MFG, no. The property class (code) on some property cards will be a clue. Some counties list them the same though.
Some you can tell from visual appearance, but higher end ones could look like stick built ranch homes.
In this area tracking them by County data (permits and other) is difficult to impossible.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Manufactured homes are HUD code manufactured homes with HUD labels mounted to the exterior (usually on the ends). Modular homes come in many varieties (UBC, etc) and are typically not set up on the same type of frame or set up as a HUD code manufactured home (some are delivered on a flat bed and set up on a foundation with a crane, etc). They have a label typically inside the home, but not always. We have very few modular homes in this area, but they can be compared to site built homes. What you need to watch out for is on frame modular homes. These go down the same line as a HUD manufactured home and are delivered and set up the same way. Fannie and Freddie will not loan on on-frame modular homes and they are not to be compared to site built homes. They are most similar to HUD manufactured homes, but have fewer financing options. What I have seen is lenders ordering and appraisal on a on-frame modular home and sending documentation that modular homes should be compared to site built homes, which on-frame modular homes should not, but the lender does not care if you get it wrong.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
Manufactured homes are HUD code manufactured homes with HUD labels mounted to the exterior (usually on the ends). Modular homes come in many varieties (UBC, etc) and are typically not set up on the same type of frame or set up as a HUD code manufactured home (some are delivered on a flat bed and set up on a foundation with a crane, etc). They have a label typically inside the home, but not always. We have very few modular homes in this area, but they can be compared to site built homes. What you need to watch out for is on frame modular homes. These go down the same line as a HUD manufactured home and are delivered and set up the same way. Fannie and Freddie will not loan on on-frame modular homes and they are not to be compared to site built homes. They are most similar to HUD manufactured homes, but have fewer financing options. What I have seen is lenders ordering and appraisal on a on-frame modular home and sending documentation that modular homes should be compared to site built homes, which on-frame modular homes should not, but the lender does not care if you get it wrong.
----

Things I kinda understand:

1) Exterior metal HUD tags usually are obliterated or painted over; not sure if they are on both types;
2) Interior Data Plates are on both types;
3) In Cali, a Form 433 must be filed with the state to change the status of a manufactured from a mobile, after the unit is secured to a permanent foundation; no similar filing for modular;
4) Manufactured reported on 1004C, and modular reported on 1004.
5) "On Frame Modulars" confuse me. Would the attached photo of the undercarriage be a clue?

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
----

Things I kinda understand:

1) Exterior metal HUD tags usually are obliterated or painted over; not sure if they are on both types;
2) Interior Data Plates are on both types;
3) In Cali, a Form 433 must be filed with the state to change the status of a manufactured from a mobile, after the unit is secured to a permanent foundation; no similar filing for modular;
4) Manufactured reported on 1004C, and modular reported on 1004.
5) "On Frame Modulars" confuse me. Would the attached photo of the undercarriage be a clue?

5. If it is a modular home, an undercarriage would make it an on-frame modular home.
4. Correct, although I am not sure about on frame modulars on 1004, but I believe it should be and compared to other on frame modulars or HUD code manufactured homes.
3. Here is must be filed with the state to be considered real property. Mobile homes are pre 1976 manufactured homes. After 1976, they are either HUD code manufactured homes or modular of some kind.
2. The Data Plate on a HUD code manufactured home is typically letter size paper stuck to a cabinet or wall. Modular homes typically have metal plates, at least the ones I have seen.
1. You have to use your keen eyesight to read the HUD labels that have been painted over. Here in TX, they will make them get replacement labels if they are missing most of the time.

Last edited:

Rlong

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
No, the only reliable method is inspection. At least not on any title report I have seen.
Bob in CO

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
In my area an on frame modular is built to the same pecs as a modular or stick built home (UBC code)and treated similarly on a 1004. Only a manufactured has an exterior tag (in my area). Inside data sheets are different it they can be found (have not found many description sheedt in a modular). For comps deciding what they are from an exterior view is sometimes impossible. Many older Manufactured homes are resided covering up the exterior labels. A few manufactured's may not have consecutive exterior plates ( a mix and match model). older manufactured never had a recorded title if they were imediatly set on a permanent foundation (what permanent foundation is depends on the County - here piers below frost line and perimeter skirting qualifies, but many have concrete block)
See this page; http://www.co.teller.co.us/assessor/ModularManufacturedORMobileHomes.pdf

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
The only way to KNOW, is to KNOW the building code originally followed at the factory.
---
Left multiple messages with corporate Silvercrest; the on-line contact info for the local plant doesn't work; and I drove to the Corona factory to find it dark with no contact info posted.????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks