• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Meeting Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
There must be 10,000 appraisers within 150 miles, throughout Southern California.

It seems logical that "somebody" would schedule an ad hoc meeting to discuss the state of the industry.

I realize that the industry is fragmented, but is there a logical entity that could coordinate this event within a relatively short period of time?

(I posted something similar in the CA Forum to no response.)

Last edited:

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
There must be 10,000 appraisers within 150 miles, throughout Southern California.

It seems logical that "somebody" would schedule an ad hoc meeting to discuss the state of the industry.

I realize that the industry is fragmented, but is there a logical entity that could coordinate this event within a relatively short time-table?

Gama ... In my community we have an organization known as the Appraisal Council which is exactly as you describe above. We are a group of appraisers that meets once a month to discuss current issues, learn from community leaders regarding zoning, title work, etc.. It is an organization that we are in the process of having approved by our local board of Realtors as being part of the larger board organization. It is very informative, helpful, and provides a list of contacts locally which can be developed when issues arise where you need peer assistance. I would urge you and those around you to form such an organization ... its very helpful.

panappr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California

I realize that the industry is fragmented, but is there a logical entity that could coordinate this event within a relatively short period of time?

ZZ, couldn't find your post in CA forum, but there are no such organizations in LA that I know of. Most of the appraisers that I communicate with here are pretty much "Cave Men" they probably wouldn't attend anyway. However, there are probably allot of appraisers like myself who are looking for the same thing. I remember 20 years ago or so, there was a group that met in LA at Taixco Restaurant (informal) and it was fun, but it was short-lived.

Vernon Martin

Professional Status
State
California
Taix, the French restaurant in Echo Park? I would attend, as it is just 2 miles from my home. Or are you referring to a Mexican restaurant named Taxco?

panappr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Taix, the French restaurant in Echo Park? I would attend, as it is just 2 miles from my home. Or are you referring to a Mexican restaurant named Taxco?
Sorry, it was Taix on Sunset, but that was many years ago... Allot of IFAs and SRAs used to attend to discuss appraisal issues, I don't know what ever happened to that?? I do recall it was very informal, and back when Bob West was the director of the OREA.

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
ZZ,

If you want to start it why not plow ahead. Pick a place and time (nothing will be convenient to everyone...so just pick a date 30-60 days into the future).

Pick a couple of hot topics for open discussion.

Get a list of appraiser emails from the alamode site, or from appraiserusa.com, or from the phone book, etc. This will be time consuming and slow to get the addresses...but in a few hours I would think you could have a list of 100+ email addresses.

You can download a list of appraisers to excel from the www.ASC.gov website. Sequence them by county and name. All you gotta do now is add their email address.

Send out your email notice and ask everyone to pass on the info to all of their appraiser friends.

Ask for an RSVP. Any place you pick will want an 'estimate' as to how many will be attending.

Even if you only have 5 people show up, set a time and place for the next get together. Spread the word again. You now have the beginnings of an organization.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
I probably would have attempted to do so last year before I started participating in the Forum. However, since becoming involved in the Forum I've lost so much "street cred," in regard to my own opinion of my knowledge of the profession, that I wouldn't dare attempt something so daunting--but with so much potential.

Somebody, somewhere in SoCal needs to become a spokesperson in lieu of the current grassroots, piecemeal structure, but the upfront costs of planning and communicating--in order to ORGANIZE--would be exorbitant

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I probably would have attempted to do so last year before I started participating in the Forum. However, since becoming involved in the Forum I've lost so much "street cred," in regard to my own opinion of my knowledge of the profession, that I wouldn't dare attempt something so daunting--but with so much potential.

Somebody, somewhere in SoCal needs to become a spokesperson in lieu of the current grassroots, piecemeal structure, but the upfront costs of planning and communicating--in order to ORGANIZE--would be exorbitant

Planning and communicating only costs time. Pick a place, make sure its ok to meet there, send out emails. Thats all it takes to start.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Many states have some sort of appraisal organizations that could easily do what you describe. In Virginia we have the Appraisal Section of the Virginia Association of Realtors. Quite frankly I think they have fallen down on the job in recent years so I may be looking to develop a Virginia Association of Real Estate Appraisers. I belong to the one in North Carolina North carolina Association of Professional Appraisers). I will be presenting a seminar to one in Delaware in the fall. That is the Delaware Association of Appraisers wherethe HVACC and the IVPI (or whatever survives them by the fall) will the the primary items discussed in a seminar titled "Current Appraisal Issues". Be glad to bring it to California if there is enough interest and I can cover expenses as well as an acceptable remuneration. I will attempt to get it approved for CE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks