• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Mobile Home Manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChattoogaMHguy

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
Hello. I'm an appraiser with a county assessors office (state certified, but NOT licensed). I'm trying to establish some resources for dealing with manufactured homes for tax tax purposes. Of course, one of the main issues for any type of appraisal is proper identification.

I've got a 1993 double wide, manufacturer's ID #s are DSDAL4421A & DSDAL4421B. I'm trying to properly identify the manufacturer. Some sites state that this number can be broken down as: DSD (manufacturer or plant) AL (state) 4421 (model number). All well and good, but checking a 2017 list of certified and registered mobile home manufacturers in Alabama, I can't find a name that would obviously acronym to DSD.

Since 1993 there have been numerous closings, mergings, and acquisitions of different mobile home manufacturers (with the attendant changes in serial number format). Does anybody know what manufacturer may have used this serial number format? Or can anyone suggest a source I can check? This home apparently was never titled in my state, so the state DMV can't help, and the present owner says he doesn't have a title (I know, I know ... but that DOES happen in small rural counties).

Can anyone help?

ChattoogaMHguy

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
Thanks, Mr. Rex.
I checked the site, and unfortunately they want money to perform this service (imagine that!). If i were an independent appraiser, that wouldn't be an issue. But I'm a county appraiser (and a small county at that), and I doubt seriously my Chief Appraiser, my county board of assessors, or the county government will approve this expenditure .... especially if I have to use it a lot.​

Any hope that there are free resources out there?​

Again, thanks

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Do you used NADA's Manufactured Housing Appraisal Guide? They have a way to value if you don't know the brand or model name.

ChattoogaMHguy

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
Yes. Our office has an NADA-Connect account, and I use their SVS to help derive values on homes I can't get ANY handle on, and to do equity studies against different brands of homes. In fact, our appraisal software base values come from the NADA (our software vendor contracts with NADA for yearly updates). The issue here is properly identifying the home. I know the NADA uses the SVS for quite a few manufacturers, but if I CAN properly identify the manufacturer, I surely would like to. (Am I being too much of a perfectionist? Or asking too much?)

Thanks, again Mr. Rex.

ChattoogaMHguy

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
Thanks, gregb.
I've left a message via the "contact us" portal on the webpage. Also thanks for the resource (manufacturedhomes.com) I have been attempting to compile web resources for a couple of years now ... and somehow my google searches haven't come across this one. I've added it to my MH site bookmarks ... again, thanks.

D

Deleted member 130081

Hello. I'm an appraiser with a county assessors office (state certified, but NOT licensed). I'm trying to establish some resources for dealing with manufactured homes for tax tax purposes. Of course, one of the main issues for any type of appraisal is proper identification.

I've got a 1993 double wide, manufacturer's ID #s are DSDAL4421A & DSDAL4421B. I'm trying to properly identify the manufacturer. Some sites state that this number can be broken down as: DSD (manufacturer or plant) AL (state) 4421 (model number). All well and good, but checking a 2017 list of certified and registered mobile home manufacturers in Alabama, I can't find a name that would obviously acronym to DSD.

Since 1993 there have been numerous closings, mergings, and acquisitions of different mobile home manufacturers (with the attendant changes in serial number format). Does anybody know what manufacturer may have used this serial number format? Or can anyone suggest a source I can check? This home apparently was never titled in my state, so the state DMV can't help, and the present owner says he doesn't have a title (I know, I know ... but that DOES happen in small rural counties).

Can anyone help?

I cant help you but I like your tiny house. Frank Lloyd Wright would be proud.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Yes. Our office has an NADA-Connect account, and I use their SVS to help derive values on homes I can't get ANY handle on, and to do equity studies against different brands of homes. In fact, our appraisal software base values come from the NADA (our software vendor contracts with NADA for yearly updates). The issue here is properly identifying the home. I know the NADA uses the SVS for quite a few manufacturers, but if I CAN properly identify the manufacturer, I surely would like to. (Am I being too much of a perfectionist? Or asking too much?)

Thanks, again Mr. Rex.

From my experience (and I'm Doublewide land) the manufacturer makes zero impact on the market participants idea of value. Quality of construction makes a minor difference. Current condition is the key to value from what I see. I understand Assessors do things differently, but unless your research shows a definitive value differential in re-sales then I expect the name of the manufacturer is immaterial. YMMV.

SLW2525

Freshman Member
Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
California
It is possible that it's Destiny Homes but I am not 100% certain. You could reach out to the AL manufactured housing association for a bit of guidance on manufacturers that were shipping to AL in 1993.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks