• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terr

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
What would be the best monitor to get for appraising right now?

Flat Panel? Size, model manufacturer?

Thanks!

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
I would definatly go with a LCD screen Preferably a 17" and up. It takes up so much less space you don't notice how much until you actually put it on your desk and realize wow where did all that room come from.

Ryan

dgill

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
New York
I'm still waitin' for them to come up with a headset unit. That way there you don't have to worry about how much desk space a monitor takes up. Come to think of it, it would work nice for tv's too. No more big, huge entertainment centers taking up floor space. Do you think I can sell that idea? :lol:

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Everyone has an opinion so I will throw mine in. I bought a new 19" flat screen (not LCD) recently. Big monitors are still much cheaper than a smaller LCD. And with LCDs so popular now there are some great deals to be had on the regulars if you shop around. While an LCD does take up less desk space does it free up space you use? Mine sits in a corner and the space behind the monitor wouldn't be very useful.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Jeff,

Good advice on the 19" monitor. They're dirt cheap compared to a LCD. Just bought one this summer. The dot pitch is also finer than a LCD.

Ben

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I will match my lcd against you 19 crt any day!

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Mike,

There's no contest, the CRT wins, unless you're impressed by what's behind the screen--which I don't care about because my monitor is on a computer desk.

Come talk to me again when your LCD has a .22mm dot pitch for $199.
With the money you save, a newbie can get a scanner, a CD burner, extra memory in the computer and still save some bucks.

Ben

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Come talk to me again when your LCD has a .22mm dot pitch for $199.
With the money you save, a newbie can get a scanner, a CD burner, extra memory in the computer and still save some bucks.

:rofl: Ben. You must think like I do. I don't fault anyone that buys the latest new toy but I would rather have the money to spend on other things too.

Bill_FL

Professional Status
State
Florida
Ok techies, someone come in behind me and post the technical terms. If you are going to go LCD, there are two levels. One has a slower "refresh" rate. That is why some laptops appear slower than a desktop of the same speed, but with a regular crt.

There is a more expensive kind of lcd screen which has a faster "refresh" rate. If I was going to look at lcd's, I would have to look for the latter type.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
You are right on the price...$199 for a 19" is great. I remember paying $600 for a 17" not too many years back.

Strong advantages to the LCD are:

1. 17" had same viewing area as a 19"
2. Low radiation
3. Easier on the eyes than CRT
4. Less power consumption
5. Smaller footprint on desk
6. Weighs less, easier to move (good for us old guys) What does a 19" CRT weigh? Mine weighs about 10#.
7. .264 dot pitch which is better than my HP 17" CRT at .28

Disavantages:

1. Price - Just looked $579 at Office Depot. I got mine with a $150 rebate earlier this year.

2. Itsy Bitsy speakers, I still use the big stereo HP speakers.

3. Does not have built in telephone microphone like my old HP.

4. Can be damaged easier than a CRT. I had this scratch on the panel and was going to send it in when the tech said "try wiping it with a wet cloth...Bingo, no scratch!

5. Isn't big enough to block out wife in other room. She thinks if she can see me I should be doing stuff for her.

Personally, I think it is one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks