• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New Property Without Garage Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbuktu

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Assignment is Refinance. It is a brand new high-end property. There are 'No Garage Doors' [See Photograph] and borrower says he has no intention to put garage doors in near future and wants the property 'Appraised As-Is'. Besides 'Garage', there is 'No Fence', 'Exterior Kitchen and Grill' are Incomplete, No Landscaping' etc)
  • Should this 'Incomplete Garage' be treated as a 'Carport'?
  • Should this property be even treated as C-1 Condition, (If Hypothetical Condition - Subject to Completion is not to be used)
  • Can 'Cost to Cure' be used and property still qualify in C-1 Condition
As always suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.

Photo.JPG

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
No Garage Doors = Carport

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Assignment is Refinance. It is a brand new high-end property. There are 'No Garage Doors' [See Photograph] and borrower says he has no intention to put garage doors in near future and wants the property 'Appraised As-Is'. Besides 'Garage', there is 'No Fence', 'Exterior Kitchen and Grill' are Incomplete, No Landscaping' etc)
  • Should this 'Incomplete Garage' be treated as a 'Carport'?
  • Should this property be even treated as C-1 Condition, (If Hypothetical Condition - Subject to Completion is not to be used)
  • Can 'Cost to Cure' be used and property still qualify in C-1 Condition
As always suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.

View attachment 31710

Not relevant if it is a refinance, since the appraisal is based on a hypothetical sale ( what the most probable price property should bring on the open market )

So how would the typically motivated buyer view the subject, as a garage missing doors, and they would have to pay install doors, or as a carport ( I suspect they see it as a garage missing doors)

Is there an overhead motor and rails in place? Was the area planned as a garage, and this bozo just does not want doors there?

Who cares about a fence or ext kitchen or grill? That is not living sf in the dwelling. There is no landscaping, or just sod around the house ? No landscaping usually is a deficiency as as market expected, whether a lender considers a property complete without landscaping might be their call.

C1 imp applies as these are repair items , they unfinished items that can affect value, but as they are not repair issues do not affect C 1 rating if a new built home.

Last edited:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
As is, the value is cost to cure adjustment. So who is the lender? FHA? VA? Fannie Mae?

Everyone handles it differently. So the owner wants it appraised "as is" but he/she isn't the lender are they? What do they want you to do?

PS - how do you "refinance" a "brand-new" property? Converting from construction loan to permanent financing?

Tumbuktu

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Who is the lender? FHA? VA? Fannie Mae?
  • Fannie Mae (It is not FHA or VA)
So the owner wants it appraised "as is" but he/she isn't the lender are they?
  • Borrower didn't exactly use the words 'As-Is' but he said, he doesn't intend to put garage doors, do landscaping, finish exterior kitchen in near future.

What do they (lender) want you to do?
  • Should I ask lender, how do they want to proceed after explaining them the situation (No Garage Doors, Incomplete ....)
How do you "refinance" a "brand-new" property? Converting from construction loan to permanent financing?
  • I did not ask this question, but 'Cash' is a possibility and stretching imagination further, borrower may have run out of 'Cash' now ....

It does not matter that it is a refinance
  • I was thinking on the lines that in case borrower purchases the property from the builder (mostly this is the scenario in case of 'New Property'), then builder is supposed to complete the property and 'Hypothetical Condition - Subject to Completion' is the way to go; but situation here is different as there is no compulsion for completion, as borrower is the builder and owner.

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
If garage doors are prevalent and typical, basically everybody else wants and has them, I'd make a functional obsolescence adjustment that would probably be about 1.5 or 2X the cost to install overhead doors, trim, openers, paint, etc. In this area, that would be about a $5-$6,000 adjustment. I would not call it a carport.

A discussion with the client should give you direction on how to address the incomplete items, i.e., as-is, as-IF complete, or subject to. What the owner wants is irrelevant, he's not your client.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Always a good idea to check in with the client...it could be done as is, or subject to

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I don't see any issue.. Those are garages without doors -Cost of overhead doors $3,000 +/- The outside kitchen and landscaping are not an issue. Personally I would go C-1 it's brand new and just make a garage door adjustment against comps with garage doors and then be done "as is" AND THAT IS NOT A CAR-PORT It's a built in garage and the quality of construction is much superior "v" a carport !

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
If garage doors are prevalent and typical, basically everybody else wants and has them, I'd make a functional obsolescence adjustment that would probably be about 1.5 or 2X the cost to install overhead doors, trim, openers, paint, etc. In this area, that would be about a $5-$6,000 adjustment. I would not call it a carport.

A discussion with the client should give you direction on how to address the incomplete items, i.e., as-is, as-IF complete, or subject to. What the owner wants is irrelevant, he's not your client.

I concur!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks