• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

No Comp Check, inspect first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Phone call from a 'long time' client went something like this:

Could you drive to (about 30 minutes away) and do an interior inspection, checking for updates, and then see if we can come in at X? If X cannot be reached, then we will not procede.

I can't wait to be Certified! What will I do with all this money!?!?! Thank goodness I have real estate to fall back on.....er...uh oh...

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
"Well yes I can. I only charge $100 more for an oral appraisal report."

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Can you send the check for full fee first, then after I complete the appraisal, I will send you back the part I didn't use?:rof:

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Tell them that due to the increase in gas costs, you’ve unfortunately had to increase the charge of your trip fee, but the good news is that your charge for a URAR has been reduced. Amazingly, they are now the same price! Boy, that URAR sounds like a bargin to me.

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
Introducing the new and improved 'field check' request. :rof: :rof:

What's next. 'Can you appraise this property and let us know if you can get $X, if not don't charge us'.

Professional Status
State
Montana
Appraisals On Spec

After all the developer buys land and develops streets and lots on spec.
The contractor buys the land and builds the house on spec.
The real estate agent contracts to sell the house on spec.
The loan officer prepares the loan papers on spec.
The Title company prepares the Title Committment on spec.

ZAIO recognized the genius of this on spec system and prepares on the shelf appraisals in advance.

I spec there are appraisers out there who will jump in their car when called for the delux version of the comp check, do a walk through and start doing appraisals on spec.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
The race to the bottom......is definitely fast, and verifiably furious.

One of the leaders in that race ?......is the $45 Desktop Valuation Report with NO Intended Use being expressed by the client, appraiser assuming just another appraisal for a mortgage finance transaction,....and people ARE providing these !

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
Phone call from a 'long time' client went something like this:

Could you drive to (about 30 minutes away) and do an interior inspection, checking for updates, and then see if we can come in at X? If X cannot be reached, then we will not procede.

I can't wait to be Certified! What will I do with all this money!?!?! Thank goodness I have real estate to fall back on.....er...uh oh...

You received the enquiry or your Supervisor Appraiser received the call?
Never mind.

What they are asking of you is what many of us would refer to as an appraisal.

Have the remove the unacceptable language in their request and then you may proceed with the assignment.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
This shhhiii wouldn't be happening IF there weren't Appraisers out there doing it & Things a lot worse!!!!!!

NO ONE TO BLAME FOR THE DESTRUCTION OF THE APPRAISAL PROFESSION OTHER THAN APPRAISERS THEMSELVES.

Yes we were set up to be the fall guys/gals!!! BUT we are the ones that allowed it to happen. NO one made us do the things many did during the "BOOM" It was a decision of the individual Appraiser.

How about ALL those Trainees thast were mass produced during that time?? How you all getting along now they are cutting the FEES of those that "TRAINED" them!! & I hear many of them now have their own TRAINEES!!

The best example of this is; How many are still doing work for AMC's & yet also saying GO PAM???

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
Can you send the check for full fee first, then after I complete the appraisal, I will send you back the part I didn't use?:rof:
In some professions, they call that a retainer. :unsure: In appraising, apparently some folks work on spec, hoping their work will create client need for more work that will actually be paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks