• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Non-consecutive HUD Certification Labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz Smith

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
South Carolina
I see a fair number where the data plate has been removed. Check your county assessors records. Lots of them have most of the information that's on a data plate. It may take a trip to the assessors office.

Econobot

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I see a fair number where the data plate has been removed. Check your county assessors records. Lots of them have most of the information that's on a data plate. It may take a trip to the assessors office.
Have lender obtain an IBTS report...

Professional Status
State
California
I haven't yet run across non-consecutive numbers, but did have one where the lender was particularly concerned about the "marriage line", and that the structure was placed as new construction on its current site, which it was. They said they would not lend on a property that had been moved.

Last week I did a 'flip' mfg house appraisal, house was over-sold, looked superficially pretty good though built supposedly around 1977, new exterior wood siding, new subfloor, interior flooring, interior doors, light fixtures, really ugly painted original flimsy cabinetry... (why do a flip for $$$$$$ profit and leave the nasty old newly painted original cardboardy/paneling cabinets?) ...Anyhow, no HUD tag, no sheet with serial numbers etc... and surprise of surprises, it measured 15% smaller than the legal showed... 980sf rather than 1152sf. CRMLS showed 1152sf. Maybe a different unit dragged over there, missing HUD tags... it could be inconvenient if HUD tag and the serial numbers don't match. Not that I'm suspicious or anything....:sneaky:

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Non-consecutive numbers aren't unusual. The HUD labels come in a roll like a roll of scotch tape. Since the inspector is looking at both single and double sections during the day, the roll being used runs out between the first half of a multi-sectional and the next half. So the last one on a roll goes on one half and the first label on the new roll goes on the other half. And the rolls might not have been in sequence. The important thing is that the numbers on the tag match the numbers on the data plate (hopefully it is still there).

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
For original measurements of manufactures homes in this area was the width eve to eve and the length including the tongue.
Example a 16 by 60 (960 sf) single would be listed as a transport size of 17x 65 (1105)
A 28x35 double wide (980 sf) would have a transport size with 5 foot tongue of 29x40 of 1160.
Living area by ANSI was always less than the listed size on the property card.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
For original measurements of manufactures homes in this area was the width eve to eve and the length including the tongue.
Example a 16 by 60 (960 sf) single would be listed as a transport size of 17x 65 (1105)
A 28x35 double wide (980 sf) would have a transport size with 5 foot tongue of 29x40 of 1160.
Living area by ANSI was always less than the listed size on the property card.
True here Arizona also. The original manufacturer's statement of origin from the manufacturer has the width of each section rounded up and the length that includes the tongue rounded up. Then when that is surrendered back to the motor vehicle department and an Affidavit of Affixture is recorded so it can be taxed as real property, those dimensions are carried over. A 28' x 76' when measured by the appraiser is actually 27.3' x 71.9, a big difference in livable area. If the unit had been built to 28', the permit to move it from factory to home site would be much higher than the actual 27.3' width, so the home is constructed slightly less to save money. In my small county whenever a manufactured homes goes on the market and is vacant, I measured it. Since all my records are in assessor's parcel number order, I can report the actual livable area for my comparables whether I measured it yesterday or 20 years ago.

Professional Status
State
California
This is all interesting. The subject was built in Arizona. Most mfg houses I run across here were built in CA. I haven't found a significant measuring difference on the CA built units. If the HUD tags and Cert with Ser# etc were on the structure I measured, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me that the house I was measuring wasn't the house that was originally placed there. In further reflection, I suspect the Buyer was expecting larger living space than the actual 980sf, so perhaps the agents should be measuring these to disclose a more realistic GLA to the Buyers, and not just relying on what the recorded sf looks like.
In reflection, width of that structure was 20', sq ft was short by 172', so the tongue was counted for 8.5'? I guess that is reasonable.
This is why I come to this forum; I always learn SOMETHING! Thanks all!

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
A multiple sectional manufactured home is really messed up if each section is a different length. The MSO, then the MVD title and then Affidavit of Affixture will show a home as 28' x 76' for example. And so the MLS agent will advertise 2,128 livable area. However the actual dimensions for one section is 13.2 x 71.9 and the other section is 13.2 x 54.4. The correct livable area of the home is 1,667 sq ft. The homes constructed in Arizona manufacturing plants will have HUD tag numbers that will begin with ARZ, since Arizona state does their own inspections. Manufactured homes moved here from factories in other states may have one of the private companies do the inspecting while it is under construction, so those have a variety of three alpha characters. RAD is common because that company has contracts in many states for the in factory inspection agency.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
This is one reason I allow a GLA tolerance before an adjustment is indicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks