• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

NY, FirstAM & WaMu article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know? Maybe you should check your paperwork. Apparently, you have to sign an agreement with e to do the work...

Just curious Janet, what was the going rate for a Florida eAppraiseit-WaMu 1004?

I was taken off the WaMu panel when I refused to accept the reduced fee offered in January and wasn't a "team player" with their ROV requests.

It would be my preference to see the OTS to approach WaMu only. I believe that would send a message to the financial institutions that they cannot contract out their Due Diligence obligations as required by federal banking regulations.

Bill Ruberry, a spokesman for the U.S. Office of Thrift Supervision, said the agency is "actively looking into these allegations," adding that he wished Cuomo's office had shared the information it had gathered in the course of its nine-month investigation before going public with it.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003989314_wamu02.html?syndication=rss

Baloney -

Of course I don't know the facts, but something tells me if Cuomo's office had waited for the Feds they would have been waiting for a long time, at least until the OTS had properly examined the political ramifications of actually doing something. I'll wager the whole mess would have been whitewashed or just simply swept under the table.

Hopefully the other states will follow NY's lead, including my state's AG, who, I understand even refuses to prosecute individuals engaged in real estate activities without a license.

The ASC has been griping about the state boards failing to do their jobs, right? Well, now we see some action. "He wished Cuomo's office had shared." Yeah...right.

C'mon Mike, be honest...tell us how you really feel :rof: :rof: :rof: :rof:

Baloney -

Of course I don't know the facts, but something tells me if Cuomo's office had waited for the Feds they would have been waiting for a long time, at least until the OTS had properly examined the political ramifications of actually doing something. I'll wager the whole mess would have been whitewashed or just simply swept under the table.

Hopefully the other states will follow NY's lead, including my state's AG, who, I understand even refuses to prosecute individuals engaged in real estate activities without a license.

The ASC has been griping about the state boards failing to do their jobs, right? Well, now we see some action. "He wished Cuomo's office had shared." Yeah...right.

Yep--no kidding. Like many haven't been screaming about this practice FOR YEARS. Now it's Cuomo's fault for not sharing the efforts of his hard work.

BTW, what ever came about as a result of the Mr. Inserra's testimony on the Hill earlier this year? As I've predicted, it's going to take some nasty lawsuits to effect any change. The regulatory aspect hasn't worked, nor is it likely to.

C'mon Mike, be honest...tell us how you really feel :rof: :rof: :rof: :rof:

Janet, I'd be sent to the corner without dinner if I told you how I feel about this issue. Cuomo nailed it with his comment regarding the Fed regulators.

EappraiseIT is not the main issue (although they are at the focal point of the AGs investigation). I've been saying for a long time that the issue with FRIs is that they have delegated their due diligence responsibilities to the AMCs and that is something counter to the regulatory guidelines.

WAMU was one of the best lenders to work with; they never pressured us but did ask legitimate questions when such questions were warranted. Working with Wamu direct, I may have received 5 (out of 1,000+ orders our firm did for them) requests for reconsideration.
That all changed when the shelved their internal appraisal department and went to outsourcing. Our relationship with the AMCs went all of maybe 10-15 jobs, then we cut it off.

Cuomo is a smart guy. Good for him for not going after WAMU direct because then the issue gets lost in a jurisdictional battle (Feds vs. State). But, what Cuomo will be able to do is show that there was collusion between the lending arm and the the AMC to pre-select appraisers with the intent of pre-determining the outcome of the lending decision. And to this matter I can speak first hand about as I have first hand knowledge of this occurring (as Pam knows).

Here is the significance as I see it: If this case starts and stops with EappraiseIT, then not much will change. If, however, the federal regulators become involved and review the situation and determine that lenders are not overseeing (due diligence) their third-party vendors appropriately, then a lot will change. And that "lot" will be positive change.

I still believe that 30%+/- of all mortgage appraisals will disappear because they will be able to do them with AVMs or an AVM-type product. So be it. But for the remainder, I predict (and have predicted) that the fees will increase because there will be a higher demand in the quality of the report. All this takes time. EappraiseIT may be the first significant move in this direction. Other signs are tightening of UW guidelines and an increase in review (although the increase in the volume of the reviews does not necessarily translate to an increase in the quality standards of the reviews).

You get regulators breathing down the backs of lenders, you get regulators breathing down the backs of the rating agencies (who will be held to a higher due-diligence requirement of rating the mortgage securities; part of which is the quality of the underlying collateral) and you get investors demanding a better quality collateral risk-analysis, and you will see a demand for higher-quality appraisals (and appraisers).

Does this mean the AMC model is dead? No, I don't think so. What it does mean, however, is that the AMC model cannot operate on the promise to the lender that by switching to the AMC, the lender's collateral valuation expenses will be automatically reduced. Some will, but not all. But the one thing that the AMCs will have to promise the lenders (if I am right about Wamu being held to the fire by the feds) is that their regulatory risk will be reduced. As it stands, I believe their regulatory risk has been increased.

My two-cents.

Son-of-a gun, I take two days off and I don't have time to read 23 pages. I agree with Dennis. When WaMu had an appraisal department, they wanted to know the true value of properties and I rarely had reconsiderations of value. I rarely had contact with a loan officer and never had pressure for a value.

Since they went to AMC's, my workflow dropped dramatically and the ROV's became common place and a pain in the ***. My theory is that the loan officers realized they had no appraisal department restricting them anymore and they decided to work the system to their advantage. The fox guarding the hen house.

I do laugh at so many on the forum thinking that WaMu appraisers are all crooks. I am sure there are some, especially the ones that were getting had picked. But, I can assure you that here in TX, WaMu did not operate that way before the demise of the appraisal department.

Yep--no kidding. Like many haven't been screaming about this practice FOR YEARS. Now it's Cuomo's fault for not sharing the efforts of his hard work.

BTW, what ever came about as a result of the Mr. Inserra's testimony on the Hill earlier this year? As I've predicted, it's going to take some nasty lawsuits to effect any change. The regulatory aspect hasn't worked, nor is it likely to.

Speaking of testimony on the Hill. I've been wondering; does anyone recall whether representatives from TAF were called to the Hill and were asked for their opinions regarding the current mortgage mess? I have noted various former ASB members apparently like to do some "consulting" but I haven't seen a single quote from any of them regarding whether or not they felt TAF shares any responsibility for the current mess. Seems to me it is a fair question given that TAF was formed to prevent fiascos like the one we are involved in now.

Did someone say the Feds are thinking about another RTC? Geez. The last crisis brought us Certification and TAF - wonder what we will get this time?

Wow! Thanks Pam. Your hard work will pay big dividends and you deserve it. It's not just these large AMC outfits. It's the entire mortgage industry. Certified Appraiser with 14 years experience, and the business model of honesty, integrity, quality, and professional, keeps me poor and out of lawsuits. I never thought our profession would come to appraisers advertising "Free Comp Checks", "Fast", "cheap", broadcast appraisal requests for a minimal value, and even borrowers are now calling for a guaranteed value. I'm excited about this lawsuit and if nothing else prevails, I pray the characteristics of honest and integrity will make a comeback in our profession. Recently, I had a mortgage broker tell me he wouldn't use my services because of my reputation of being too honest, too clean. However, I appraised all ten of his properites 2 months ago. His reply was " I wanted a honest appraisal, so I hired you because I don't trust none of the appraisers I regularly use." Unfortunately, this is the enviroment honest appraisers have to deal with in todays marketplace.

Recently, I had a mortgage broker tell me he wouldn't use my services because of my reputation of being too honest, too clean. However, I appraised all ten of his properites 2 months ago. His reply was " I wanted a honest appraisal, so I hired you because I don't trust none of the appraisers I regularly use."

This is exactly what has kept me in the poor house (until I decided to do something other than appraising).

DaveT in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back