• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Offered a bribe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward OConor

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
While inspecting a way overpriced sale to make things more interesting (I already called the lender), while I was picking the best sales from the data, the seller and someone else approached my car. The other person gave me his first name and then said that he was a "representative" of the buyer. This person asked me which sales I was going to use. I told him that I had not yet decided. He then asked if an additional $500.00 would help move the process along. I couldn't help myself, I lied to him. I told him no thank you I get paid very well by the lender.:rof::rof::rof:

Since I already told the AMC, should I include the story in the report?

jeanwillick

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
If he was trying to pay you a "rush fee" that's one thing. If he was trying to get you to hit a value, that's a different animal. I wouldn't include in report. If you feel it was a bribe, you should report it, but do you have his name?

Also, if he was a representative of the Buyer and he approached with the Seller, and they were together on this, you should report both as the Buyer Rep was not doing his Buyer any favors to hit a value--he is supposed to be working for the Buyer to get him the best price.

Last edited:

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Your word against his. It did not influence your value and the wording was such that it could easily have meant for you to speed things along. Forget it and move on.

starmansf

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
I don't see where "moving the process along" is a bribe. It sounds like a request to expedite the appraisal. Take the $500 and call it a rush fee.

xmtpedprl

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
I would have taken it, stayed up all night finishing the damn thing, and called it a "rush Fee" based upon the purpose stated for the extra cash.

Well, maybe I would've, anyway, I am growing severely impatient with certain aspects of this business.

Dave...

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
I don't see where "moving the process along" is a bribe. It sounds like a request to expedite the appraisal. Take the $500 and call it a rush fee.

That ought to go over real well...the seller and someone else, who are not your client, are paying extra money.

There's nothing wrong with charging extra to cover services, such as a faster than typical turn time. Just make sure that the agreement is with and payment is from the client.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
It wasn't a bribe. It was to help move the process along, not to get you to select certain sales as comps or to hit a certain number. I would have taken the cash. After all, it was cash. What would you do, write a receipt?

(tongue in cheek comments for those who do not know that I have earned my moniker)

Rhino

Professional Status
State
Maryland
I would not have taken the money. That guy may not be the type of person that takes kindly to giving 500.00 bucks away and not receiving anything in return. He may have sought revenge. Better to be safe then sorry.:icon_mrgreen:

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
You should have handed your camera to the seller and told them please take a picture of me accepting the cash. I'm required to document to the lender anything of value I receive in doing my job, and a picture of me accepting $500 bucks is worth a thousand words.

Edward OConor

Professional Status
State
New York
This "smarmy" guy (by his attitude) clearly wanted me to meet the sales price, which by the way is about $150,000.00 over the value of the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks