• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Online MAI demo - improving the profession?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone has the time or resources to devote to completing the "traditional" demo.

Too bad. I never agreed with grading on a curve either, nor do I think that the trend toward kids' games where "everyone is a winner" is good practice. If it's worth having, it's worth working for. One of the guys I went to school with ended up becoming a doctor. He didn't have time for the residency program, but I'll be darned if he didn't have to do it anyway. What happened to the work ethic in the country and when did everything become dumbed down or an entitlement?
 
The problem Abester, is that the work ethic is getting in the way of completing the Demo. Too much fricken work to do, can't complete the Demo! :)
 
I haven't looked at the new requirements; are Advisory Reviews mandatory for the MAI path? Actually more than the demo course, the lack of mandatory advisory reviews for the SRA
Mandatory...no. Will you pass the final without it, likely not. I'm sure it happens without the advisory review, but according to MAI reviewers its few and far between. Although not mandatory, I envision it a little like it's not mandatory to pull the rip cord when you jump out of the airplane, but its probably a good idea.

In fact I had an advisory review yesterday, two hours on the phone with reviewer. I learned more in that two hours about report writing and appraising then I have in a long time. I wish I would have done that before I submitted for my final review. Best part of that time it was free.
 
Unfortunately that is not the case with the SRA Brian. I will only do advisory reviews, not the final level. Guess how many I get called for? Maybe one a year? This is such a great service and it is free and we do learn a lot from it. I really wish more candidates would use this. I think most just pass straight through the final level without any other reviews. The new SRAs on this site could tell us if they had only the final level or if they had advisory. This is off topic though, sorry for the hijack....
 
I plan on doing an advisory review for my SRA as well. Why not...its free plus I can always learn something?
 
Having seen the actual presentations and discussed this with the people who came up with the idea, I can say that many think it will actually be harder.

It takes a certain percentage to pass. That means that under the current system, some parts can be insufficient and the member might never really know it.

In the online alternative, every section has to be acceptable before the member can move on to the next.

Its also true that while many have access to advice and guidance, many of us are just out there on our own. We take classes, but don't often see real world applications of the principles. If a member drops the ball on some major aspects, but still has enough to pass, they may go on thinking they are doing something perfectly well when they are not.

The idea is to improve the learning process, make the task one of a series of smaller bites, and quite simply to provide an alternative way of accomplishing what many say is the biggest stumbling block. I also believe its one of the greatest learning experiences. This would improve that aspect of it.

So far, I like the idea but some do not, and its important for those with a say in the matter to find out why.
 
The idea is to improve the learning process

I don't believe that. It seems like a way to drum up membership and fees. I recall that the graders of the demo reports were supposed to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the report sections, and a failure didn't mean starting from scratch. Writing the demo involves more than simply writing "another" report. It is "the" report. If people stopped looking for excuses and treated it like it is their biggest assignment, maybe more work would get done...
 
Dang Couch! I want them to make it a lot easier so that thousands of appraisers all of a sudden get their MAIs. Oh well, guess they won't do that, will they? Being that they are all about the MAI.

I miss the old Society days....

I hope the research you undertake daily is more well thought out than this statement. The AI constantly is working on the SRA, promoting it, developing forms for the SRAs to use for non-lender work, etc., etc., etc.
 
Dang Couch! I want them to make it a lot easier so that thousands of appraisers all of a sudden get their MAIs. Oh well, guess they won't do that, will they? Being that they are all about the MAI.

I miss the old Society days....

I hope the research you undertake daily is more well thought out than this statement. The AI constantly is working on the SRA, promoting it, developing forms for the SRAs to use for non-lender work, etc., etc., etc.
 
It seems like a way to drum up membership and fees.
I sure as heck hope so! The minute a membership organization forgets that it needs to attract new members (and their fees) is the minute it starts dying a slow death.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top