• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Professional organizations meet with Cuomo

Status
Not open for further replies.

panappr

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I like Ormans approach, those are the issues.

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
I agree, excellent.

Laurie E

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
Thanks for the post, Jo Ann. Good to know the NAIFA is listening to us again. I was pretty worried after their initial press release.

Esox

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
I've been impressed enough with what I've read about the NAIFA that I might become a member. I just wish someone would ask Cuomo or his people how they cannot see the irony in reaching an agreement that puts the ordering of appraisals in the hands of the same types of companies he was investigating in the first place.

That's what drive me nuts about this whole damn thing, and makes me question Cuomo's motivation. Even though it was AMCO, who I did a lot of relo work for through the years, (and they treated me well aside from the slow pay), I can't get the fact he was on an AMC board of directors out of my mind.

Kevin

Last edited:

Laurie E

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
I think that's the rub, Kevin. The HVCC all but forced lenders into using AMCs. I've been a huge fan of the NAIFA for 20 years but had to withdraw my good opinion for a while due to their initial support of Cuomo's deal.

It was just so weird to me they would support something so devastating to my business model without asking what I thought about it first. The NAIFA (in fairness, so did the AI's) statement came out so quickly it seemed they knew it was coming. That wouldn't have bothered me a bit if they had have said then what they're saying now.

Rick Neighbors

Professional Status
State
Texas
Meeting

Well, the way I read it, they didn't actually get to meet with Cuomo, just with some folks on his staff.

But it's a start, I guess!

Rick

athome77

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Troubling development, in my opinion:

"Gueron led the discussion and was frankly curious, after their research, why we would come out against the ban on mortgage brokers ordering appraisals. "
Obviously did not read or comprehend the response provided by the various appraisal organizations.

"Gueron and her staff listened very carefully, were very candid and took plenty of notes. They were asked if they were open to changing the agreement, but replied that they were not yet ready to answer."
"Not yet ready to answer" translated---NO.

Once the AMCs have the keys to the castle we are all doomed.

Laurie E

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
athome77-

The thing is the NYAG's office did read the response by the various appraisal organizations. What they're "frankly curious" about is why they did a 180 degree turn two moths later. I bet they're not ready to answer because they just lost their biggest supporters: appraisers themselves. Must be a pretty uncomfortable position to be in.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
"NAIFA applauds the attempt to secure appraiser independence in the real estate financing process in the proposed agreement," says Michael T. Orman, IFAS, National President, NAIFA. "But despite its laudable intent, we find that the current structure of the agreement may lead to unanticipated and potentially damaging results for borrowers, the public, real property appraisers, and users of real property appraisals."

"While we support the efforts of the broader appraisal community to address the shortcomings of the agreement," Orman continues, "we believe the agreement is attempting to solve a problem for which a solution already exits. Should the agreement move forward, however, NAIFA, along with many other related appraisal and financial organizations, believe significant changes to the agreement as written are necessary."​

One of those solutions includes banking regulations set forth by the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and its member regulatory agencies, the Office of Comptroller of the Currency and the Office of Thrift Supervision. "Regrettably, these regulations are not flowing through the proper channels, to the end user and the loan originators, nor have the users been trained to implement the regulations," states Orman.

Clearly, the "solution" above - worked very well. NOT.

Protecting the Status Quo .......is NOT the solution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks