• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Question about your State Appraisal Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
What do you think of your state appraisal board????

Do you think that act fairly in all matters????

Do you think the members of your appraisal board understand USPAP?

Do you think you would receive a fair hearing if you were brought before your board??

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
1) I have no real experience with my AB. However, from the one experience we had with a representative of the AB we found that they tried to enforce advertisement rules without fully knowing the how to apply their own rules. When questioned about it they admitted the situation was a "grey area" but still was all to keen to threaten action.

2) No

3) They don't fully understand their own rules. How could they fully understand USPAP?

4) I don't know.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
What do you think of your state appraisal board????

My Response: Positive! I know them to be fair, competent and ethical.

Do you think that act fairly in all matters????

My Response: I believe they act with consideration and understanding of the USPAP, "The IL R.E. Appraiser Act of 2002" and "The R.E. Appraiser Rules of 2002" (IL).

Do you think the members of your appraisal board understand USPAP?

My Response: As to "understanding USPAP", this is why there are many members of the Board; I would expect that on certain issues, some members will have a better understanding than others. In the end, the collective wisdom is good.

Do you think you would receive a fair hearing if you were brought before your board??

My Response: Yes!

My responses are incorporated above.

--Lee

Steer

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maine
1. You don't want to know
2. Absolutely not
3. Yes
4. Possibly

My experience in attempting to upgrade licensure was extremely frustrating. Excellent examples of complex work with a supervisor's signature, all to be told MONTHS after applying that I couldn't perform complex work due to my license level.

Maine is famous for not wanting people to upgrade. Many, many, many attemps, very few successes. I have met with appraisers who have spent years trying to upgrade, and also spoken with CG's in adjoining states that Maine will not give reciproicty to. And, in a final act of brilliance, Maine has suspended reciprocity with New Hampshire, so no one that currently has a certified New Hampshire license can upgrade their licence in Maine to certified. If you don't meet their stict, and apparently confusing, definition of "complex" appraisals, you are screwed.

Just my $0.02 and experience

Mark to market

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
We do pretty good out here. If I had a complaint it would be about them not having adequate staff and funding.

Chris Colston

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
1) I have no real experience with my AB. However, from the one experience we had with a representative of the AB we found that they tried to enforce advertisement rules without fully knowing the how to apply their own rules. When questioned about it they admitted the situation was a "grey area" but still was all to keen to threaten action.

2) No

3) They don't fully understand their own rules. How could they fully understand USPAP?

4) I don't know.

Are you talking about the FREAB (the Florida Real Estate Appraisal Board) or the Dept of Business and Professional Regulations (DBPR)? They are not one in the same. Sounds like you are referring to the Dept not the Board.

What do you think of your state appraisal board???? Well educated, experienced group of appraisers (cert res & cert gen'l), users of appraisals and gen'l public members

Do you think that act fairly in all matters???? As best they can within the limits of state statute.

Do you think the members of your appraisal board understand USPAP? Yes, at least the appraiser members do as does the user member..

Do you think you would receive a fair hearing if you were brought before your board?? Yes, having attended many FREAB meetings, I believe all are given the opportunity to be treated fairly and to have their say.

Dennis J. Black ASA IFAS

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I think it must be recognized that in most states the “appraisal board” is a hearing body, not the prosecuting entity. For example in the state of Florida the Division of Real Estate is the entity which investigates and brings charges.

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
My impressions are that the California board is good, knowledgeable etc. But some of their decisions bely this: I know of one CA appraiser who only got a slap on the wrist for signing "did inspect" on appraisals all over the state. This is intentional fraud, why only a slap on the wrist? And the Cargill Salt Ponds case was a fiasco. So I'm just not sure about them. At least they had the good sense to revoke Jim Sloate's license. :)

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
We do pretty good out here. If I had a complaint it would be about them not having adequate staff and funding.

I would second Mr Raney's remarks with a capital FUNDING. We need FUNDING.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
No personal experience, but like Smokey - have seen over the years sum get away with everything and more recently a case where the appraiser & commisioner had a misunderstanding, where the commissioner took photo's of the subject nearly a year later and made an issue of those photo's - which created a problem for the appraiser.

In the later incident it just shows that, photo's 12 months after the fact can reak havoc with your Defense, in both State & USPAP regards. If it was allowed to present a case and is Not realistic (timing-did not show subject at time of inspection), it just shows what lengths a Board can go to, to "set up" a case. Pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks