• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Review: Appraiser I'm reviewing calls me

Status
Not open for further replies.

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
....out of the blue. I've only done a preliminary search of market data and have not even looked at the guy's appraisal in depth. I ask him what I can do for him and he says "I was told you needed to speak with me". Obviously, the client is playing games because I didn't tell anyone any such thing.

I personally don't want to speak with the guy. I plan to do my review, note what I've found and give an opinion of value (as required by the client). Beyond that, I have absolutely no reason to talk to the appraiser being reviewed, nor do I want to. Personally, I think it's not a good idea to talk to the appraiser being reviewed. Everyone's works should stand for itself. No further explanation is needed for a review process.

How would you handle this?

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Contact the lender immediately. I bet you the loan officer or broker tipped him off.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I don't like the idea of the original appraiser calling me but I have no objections to speaking with him or her if I need some clarification.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I bet the MB tipped him off. The MB wants the original appraiser to try and influence your opinion.

Scott Kibler

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
Tell him thanks for calling but I'm ok, there must have been a communication error on the part of the client.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
I would tell him in compliance with USPAP I cant discuss the review with you. That is neither good nor bad but simply that you dont have permission from your client to discuss anything with him. Tell him you are sure he can appreciate your stance and thank him for calling.
I believe reviewers have a confidentiality agreement with their client and cannot discuss the review with anyone but them.

fritzvogel

Professional Status
State
New York
Is't the original appraisers name supposed to be covered up/whited out? I haven't seen any lately, I should refuse the order, especially in a small market or if I know the guy.

panappr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I don't think anyone (normal) would be up front contacting a reviewer on their case, unless they were overly concerned about something? Even still that would take allot of ......

Tell em you are going to do a very thorough forensic review and it could take several days.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
First, you are reviewing an appraisal, not the appraiser.

Second, do your job.

Third, you have no reason to speak to the other appraiser unless you have questions, not him/her and then only with the permission of your client.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks