• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Roundabouts and their effect on value

Does changing from a signalized four way intersection to a roundabout affect value?

• Positive effect on value

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Negative effect on value

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • It depends

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Value is affected by access. If a roundabout alleviates congestion and allows for higher levels of service throughout the day, more customers can mean more value attributed to commercial property. There are plenty of examples of bad signal and roundabout placement, it boils down to how access is affected. I'm a fan of a well placed roundabout and find navigating them very simple. Most of the ones I've used are in lower volume areas and have done a lot to alleviate high speed collisions at moderately busy intersections.

Last edited:
and here

Crazy Rome traffic intersection - Piazza del Colosseo - YouTube

seen this kind of craziness also in spain and other countries

That is exactly what its like driving the streets of Rome, :rof: and elsewhere in Europe.

I have a theory about the differences between tightly controlled traffic patterns, what is portrayed in the above video and the ability to navigate without incident.

My observation is that its about instincts, vigilance and diligence. In this country motorists instincts are displaced as they are directed as to when to stop and when to go, where to drive (delineated lanes) how fast/slow to drive etc. It seems to have become be a rote, robotic process which allows for distraction by other things such as phones, texting, etc.

Surly, there isn't anyone who hasn't experienced the difference when confronted with out traffic signal where the cars on all corners have to make the very careful decision as to how and who is to proceed first...and when doing so...it VERY CAREFULLY and on high alert.

While in other countries its about being totally focused on driving.

You better be focused on driving when going almost 200mph on the Autobahn.

India. They say driving in India is not a sport for the faint of heart.

I recently was chatting with a broker about a restaurant he tried to sell. The restaurant had went out of business, and he swore it was because the city had installed four roundabouts between it and the freeway. He said the owner told him restaurant patrons would joke that they were dizzy once they got there from all the roundabouts. I don't know how much it truly affected the restaurant business, but it certainly creates an obstacle when there are a lot of them in a row.

If Garrmin programmers had a sense of humor, they could program the street direction voice to chime in with 'slow down, I'm about to hurl' if the speed was over 15 mph in a round about.

I'm posting this again just to give Terrel nightmares. It is located in the western part of Las Vegas.
TrafficCircle.jpg

space invaders might assume the Earth is powered like a giant wind up pocket watch

The Las Vegas one has epicycles, like the Ptolemaic model of the solar system. That's what makes it so confusing to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back