• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Solar Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we would hope that would be the end of it.

However,

Appraising Solar Energy’s Value
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/realestate/solar-panels-and-home-values.html?_r=0

Fannie Mae says that solar panels add value to your home (but only if you own the solar system)

Standardizing Appraisals for PV Installations

SELLING INTO THE SUN: PRICE PREMIUM ANALYSIS OF A MULTI-STATE DATASET OF SOLAR HOMES

Disclaimer

This document was prepared as an account of work sponsored by the United States Government. While
this document is believed to contain correct information, neither the United States Government nor any
agency thereof, nor The Regents of the University of California, nor any of their employees, makes any
warranty, express or implied, or assumes any legal responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or
usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would
not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial product, process, or
service by its trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply
its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States Government or any agency thereof, or
The Regents of the University of California. The views and opinions of authors expressed herein do not
necessarily state or reflect those of the United States Government or any agency thereof, The Regents of
the University of California, the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, or the Federal Reserve System.
Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer.

Just like financing equivalent to cash.

AND from our friends at the Department of Energy..................

However, appraisers are often not experienced in working with green buildings. When an appraiser is not versed in investigating the costs and benefits of green strategies, they might miss some of the benefits - such as reduced operational and environmental risks as well as the potential for increased marketability.

To address this concern, the Energy Department and the Appraisal Foundation signed a Memorandum of Understanding to improve resources for appraisers who are involved with energy efficient buildings. The first of these resources, the Appraisal Practices Board (APB) Valuation Advisory #6: Valuation of Green Buildings: Background and Core Competency, was recently released by the Appraisal Foundation.

The APB Valuation Advisory provides appraisers with basic educational background on green or high-performance commercial and residential buildings. The report was developed by technical experts and industry leaders. Two upcoming resources will build on the foundation provided by this guide, which will provide methodological guidance for valuing residential and commercial buildings.

The Energy Department supported this work by providing subject matter experts and soliciting feedback from members of the Better Buildings Alliance. In addition, the Energy Department provides software tools, databases and education courses that appraisers can use to better evaluate green buildings.

http://energy.gov/eere/articles/what-s-green-worth

Sales,
Income
Cost
and
Cost Benefit.

Not to worry,
They'll provide the data, to "make it work".

:coolsmiley:

I don't need to understand the physical properties of granite to recognize it when I see it, and to understand that many home buyers value Granite more highly than Formica.

Improving my understanding of how great Granite is won't affect my analysis of buyer/seller reactions to it in those properties that have it.

I'm sorry if we disagree, but at least you should be able to agree that it's the Income Capitalization Approach, Not the Savings Capitalization Approach.

It isn't that we disagree as much as you are just plain wrong if you don't think savings has value and that value can be calculated using capitalization technique.
If you want to be technically correct, it is cash flows that are valued. A reduction in expense is an increase in cash flow. I think one doesn't even have to be an appraiser to recognize that truism.

From a recent, peer reviewed article: An Analysis of Solar Home Paired Sales Across Six States (TAJ, AI, 2016). You can read all 12 pages (I recommend it) but the excerpted/bolded part is the relevant excerpt here:

upload_2016-4-8_15-28-43.png

Note that the capitalization technique discounts "the savings", i.e., the difference in the utility cost without the PV system vs. with the PV system.

But, what do I know? Of course, I wouldn't price something that reduces my costs (puts money in my pocket) based on what that money in my pocket is worth to me.

By your logic, a system that generates $1,000 in income is worth more than a system that saves me $2,000 in expenses.

I don't believe we disagree, or that I am wrong. :D

I believe we are using different terminology for the same thing.

However.

I do believe that using the term "savings" is misleading - not your fault - it's the way the politics wants it done.

The price the utility will pay for the electric your solar panels are generating is taxable Income.

http://www.rapidtax.com/blog/is-income-from-solar-panels-taxable/#.VwiK6q32bOE

Nowhere are savings taxable. Interest on savings are taxable, because they are income.

When the utility deducts the electric it is buying from the homeowner, it is a "savings". But calling it "savings" on an Income Cap or DCF misleads one to believe it is not taxable income.

And, there are many different ways to "save" on an electric bill, even if you don't have solar panels or geo-thermal or solar water heating.

The Amish accomplished a couple of hundred years of living here in PA without any electric bills or solar panels - Doesn't make their house worth more because they are "saving" on electric.

If we were capitalizing saving on electric bills, contributory value could additionally be found with an Income Approach for clothes lines, once a week showers, and shutting off all the breakers when you're away on vacation. But none of that is reportable taxable income.

Likewise, Geothermal savings on heating costs. Here all electric heat is common. But there is no "credit" on the electric bill for not using electric heat, even though it is a savings that is not capitalized to "prove" contributory value.

Sorry, but the party line has gone too far.

But I still loves ya.

:amigos:.

Note that the capitalization technique discounts "the savings", i.e., the difference in the utility cost without the PV system vs. with the PV system.

But, what do I know? Of course, I wouldn't price something that reduces my costs (puts money in my pocket) based on what that money in my pocket is worth to me.

By your logic, a system that generates $1,000 in income is worth more than a system that saves me $2,000 in expenses.

Also notice that your PV "savings" are discounted income. - making them INCOME.

But while we're there on the peer review, why are we estimating the income value, when the solar "savings" information should be readily available from the sellers?? And the Realtors who are listing these properties for sale?? I could understand if we were estimating the sunk costs of purchase and installation without government subsidizes, which are favorable financing, but, there is no way we should be "estimating income" of a comp, whether it's rent or solar generated electricity.

upload_2016-4-9_1-18-47.png

The contributory value of any item in theory is the NPV of the anticipated savings over the lifetime of the item. The rub for most items is the difficulty of monetizing the benefit. But solar savings should be relatively easy to calculate.

Should be.

But there is an underlying agenda.

Where else can you have discounted income that has no costs associated with it?? Not even maintenance costs. And no risks associated with it, like, oh, the utility reaches it's renewable mandated percentage and drops the rate like they did in Nevada?

Does it annoy anyone other than me, that there are articles all over the internet that say a nationwide study indicates that solar panels add $15,000 in value to homes?

Doesn't matter if the home is on the north side of a mountain, in the desert,

Looks like this

CAMPING_SOLAR_PANELS-05.jpg

or looks like this

whitehousesolar.jpg

$15,000 is the contribution
by golly.

To all the posters sitting on the sideline and reading this thread, if any are struggling with the concept of "income" vs. "savings", here is a basic economic principle which I think all of us are familiar with: A penny saved is a penny earned (my emphasis).

Most of the marketing for PV (or any energy cost-savings/efficiency devices) focuses on the initial cost of the system and utility savings over the life of the system. In those presentations, tax credits and the potential for re-selling the excess energy back to the utility company may or may not be a factor. The goal is to show the system will pay itself return a positive cash flow after the payoff point. They obviously want to sell the system.

For residential real estate appraisers valuing a home with an owned PV system, the cost of the system is immaterial; It is a sunk cost. The benefits are the potential (a) savings and (b) resale of excess energy. The risk of earning income in addition to the savings is too uncertain: Denis doesn't consider that in his NPV analysis of the system. Denis does consider the savings. That benefit can be calculated. Further, the assumption that the system will be held for the remainder of its economic life is not part of Denis' analysis either because (IMO) the assumption of the next buyer valuing the system as a benefit may not be the same as today. I previously quoted the average holding period of a home in the West as 13 years; if the system has more than 13 years remaining in its economic life, then those out-year savings are not part of my consideration.

There are three considerations when determining NPV:
A. How long is the period? I'm using a maximum of 13 years or the remaining economic life.
B. What is the cash flow that is brought to present? It is the anticipated savings in the utility expenses, annualized. I've adjusted this for a maintenance cost; the maintenance cost figure, BTW, was obtained on my utility's (PG&E) website, which I've adjusted for the holding period.
C. What is the discount rate to apply? The discount rate for any DCF is always subject to some disagreement. In the article I cited, it uses a discount rate that is equal to the average 30-year mortgage. I see a good argument for this. In real estate analysis, the discount rate is usually assigned to reflect the risk associated with the investment and the discount rate explicitly assigns a risk factor. However, risk is also implicitly considered in the assumptions of holding period, reversion, and the cash flows themselves. In my analysis, I assume no reversionary value to the benefits of the system that are longer than the holding period and no increase in energy costs (and a subsequent increase in the savings or cash flow). While it is possible energy costs could fall below the current rates that is unlikely; every forecast I've seen assumes energy costs to increase. There is an argument that the savings will decrease as the system gets older due to the system losing some of its efficiency. One could calculate that into their analysis (and some calculators do that); I don't- I'm fine with making the assumption that the stable savings considers this loss in efficiency over the holding period.

I said I applied the "safe rate" to the discount. I apply the safe rate because I argue, given the assumptions I've used, reducing the utility expense has no significant risk. However, I am persuaded that an alternative discount rate using the average 30-year mortgage rate may be a better. Why? Because I could argue that I have a choice when valuing this residential PV system: I could buy the house with the system and get the expected savings or I could use that money and buy a more expensive home. Since it is reasonable to assume the typical buyer is going to finance the house, if I am going to buy the house with the PV system, I want to discount that benefit by at least what it would cost me to purchase the more expensive home.

Back to the original problem: how do I analyze the value of a PV system without paired sales to make a conclusion? One way is to calculate the value based on the present value of the savings the system will generate.
For residential appraisers, the significant challenge is trying to consider any feature that doesn't have a match in the market. Even when we are convinced there is value for the feature, we are loath to make "across the board" adjustments because we believe they will be rejected out-of-hand.
Likewise, when a feature that many stakeholders believe should have value in the market isn't considered, this creates real issues for us as well. Most would intuitively think that a home that is less expensive to operate than another (all other things being equal) would have a higher value. It is hard to argue with this logic; our (residential) appraiser problem is providing support for what intuitively makes sense.

That is why I suggest the process I've outlined. It is an acceptable method to translate future benefits to a current value. That is also why I suggest that it be dealt within the reconciliation rather than an across-the-board adjustment. The final application (in the reconciliation rather than on the grid) has its own logic and reasonableness and is (IMO) unassailable if put into a report:

Ideally, if comparables with a similar system were available for a matched pair analysis, they could be used to analyze the contributory value, if any, of the subject's PV system. Such sales were not found. I do consider the reduction in utility costs to be a benefit and I do think a buyer, intuitively, would be inclined to pay more for the lower utility-cost house all other things being equal. One way to evaluate this issue is to discount the utility expense-savings over a holding period to conclude a present value. While a specific buyer may not go through the mathematical calculation, I've concluded a buyer would consider the savings a benefit. In the absence of sales comparables, this analysis is a reasonable method to analyze that benefit. Therefore, I've employed this analysis to establish two factors in my valuation of the subject:
1. The PV system reduces operating costs which create a savings over the holding period.
2. Those savings have a calculated positive present value; a positive present value is a benefit vs. the other homes analyzed in the grid and should be considered in the final valuation analysis.

The system is 10 years old. The total economic life of the system is 20-years and the average holding period for a home is 13-years. Therefore, I am assuming the system will provide a positive benefit for the next 10-years.

The system reduces the utility costs by $150/month. Although rates typically increase, I am assuming no increase in rates. Further, I am assuming that maintenance costs are 10% of the annual savings.

The discount rate reflects the risk of the investment. The forecasts of the amount being saved is fairly conservative; an argument could be made that the safe rate is reasonable. Alternatively, an argument can be made that the rate should at least equal the rate paid for a mortgage since an alternative to paying more for this system is to pay more for an alternative with some other benefit. I find the argument to use the mortgage rate as the discount rate persuasive and have therefore applied it (4.5%, based on a 30-year fixed rate).

From this point, the calculation is mathematical: 10-years of cash flows ($1,620) discounted at a rate of 4.5% equals a present value of $12,818, say $13,000.

The adjusted range of the comparables is $510k to $535k. Comparables #2 and #3 are most similar and adjust to $520k. I then considered the positive benefit of the PV system analysis and have concluded a final value opinion of $530k. This conclusion at the higher-end of the adjusted range explicitly reflects consideration of the benefits of the subject's PV system.​

This process works for me. It may not work for others. One could argue the discount rate, holding period, etc., should be different. Any DCF analysis has weaknesses (usually boiling down to the same thing: imprecise data and uncertain forecasts).

"How do I value this PV system when there are no comparables....?" is a common forum question. Here is a process that can be employed.
  • The math isn't that difficult. I've simplified it as I think is consistent with a typical residential assignment.
  • The process eliminates the need to make an across the board adjustment (although I might make an across-the-board adjustment in some cases; I don't necessarily advocate for others to do that if they are not inclined).
  • This process considers the value of the PV system; consideration of the value isn't just an expectation of the stakeholders, it is a requirement of the USPAP.
  • If one doesn't think a PV system adds any value, then that is fine as well. Just make that case. But don't state, "I couldn't find any comparables and therefore I am not considering any value to the system." Sales comparables, while the primary method in residential appraising for analyzing values, is not the only method.
  • I would always advocate taking a broker/agent survey of such systems and ask them if they think a system that reduces energy expenses would be valued in the market? They may say "yes", "no", or "it depends". The survey can be used in conjunction with this analysis to strengthen the logic and rationale used to determine how the system fits into the valuation of the subject
In the end, the analysis has to be credible, and the conclusions and how they impact the value have to be reasonable. IMO...
Analysis = Credible
Appraiser's Judgment = Reasonable
The analysis gives an indication. The appraiser's judgment determines what, if any consideration, the analysis warrants in the valuation of the subject.

Thank you Denis.

Very well thought out and phrased.

I would point out one thing though, not to be picky, just one thing that caught my eye.

The system is 10 years old. The total economic life of the system is 20-years and the average holding period for a home is 13-years. Therefore, I am assuming the system will provide a positive benefit for the next 10-years.

In Year 11 of the 13 year holding period you would need to account for the removal of the system, disposal of the toxic waste and repair to the sheeting where the mounting bolts were; a bit more than 10% of $1,000-$2,000 annual "savings" of electric generated by the solar panels. Of course those costs will be highly subjective to location, and some panels contain silver which can be reclaimed, so depending on the recycling abilities, available in a location, a partial credit might be gained from the reclaimed silver, just depends.

However, I will maintain that considering the peer reviewed piece, and that someone went out of their way to generate an online analysis to estimate savings of comps, that, when utilizing comps with solar panels, the exact savings of those comps should be available. If as contended, that buyers will pay more to save... That savings should have been disclosed to those buyers to make their purchase decision. If those "savings" were not disclosed to the buyers, well, then we have a failing of the agents/sellers/buyers in establishing a desirable market commodity, which is not then rectified by the magic math of appraisers.

I agree that the 30 yr mortgage rate might be a better discount rate than the safe rate. Good choice in my mind for your market which is heavily engaged in green technology with extensive legislations in support of such. Here, I favor a higher discount rate, being not far from the current coal mining district, and not far from the previous coal mining district, nor far from the nuclear power plant or the natural gas fracking area. So given our greatly shortened hours of sunlight, locally available other fuels, and many cloudy/rainy/snowy days, a higher discount rate is more suitable here.

And actually it is snowing now with up to four inches of snow expected today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back