• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Split Level Measuring GLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire4214

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
North Carolina
First Year as a Licensed Real Estate Appraiser so take it easy on me as I ask this question.

I have only performed 2 appraisals on a "split level" subject as a trainee. Back then I learned that if any part of the "lower level" is below grade you have to consider the entire GLA of that area as basement finished square footage. I took this at the time to mean ALL split levels would fit this criteria.

I am on my own and have one, however it (in my opinion) does not fit any of the criteria for the below grade "basement" square footage on the lower level. Is it possible to have a split level completely above ground? I have attached a photo of the front exterior and the side where you can see you have to walk up stairs to even access the "Lower Level". Would all of this be "above grade"?

Attachments

• old plantation.jpg
    old plantation.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 22
  • ol plant.jpg
    ol plant.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 7
A picture of the back would be helpful. This looks like the floorplan and is pretty typical for split levels. Just make sure you measure the comps in the same way. That is the most important part. Assessors will often incorrectly measure split-level homes and you can't trust realtors to fix it for the listing.

1677071697835.png

It looks to me like this is a 3-level split and all three levels are entirely above grade.

First Year as a Licensed Real Estate Appraiser so take it easy on me as I ask this question.

I have only performed 2 appraisals on a "split level" subject as a trainee. Back then I learned that if any part of the "lower level" is below grade you have to consider the entire GLA of that area as basement finished square footage. I took this at the time to mean ALL split levels would fit this criteria.

I am on my own and have one, however it (in my opinion) does not fit any of the criteria for the below grade "basement" square footage on the lower level. Is it possible to have a split level completely above ground? I have attached a photo of the front exterior and the side where you can see you have to walk up stairs to even access the "Lower Level". Would all of this be "above grade"?
The photo seems to show soil above the lower level floor line on the right side, left of the stoop. If there is no soil above floor level, then you should have three above grade finish levels and one below grade basement unfinished level.
Best regards

splits are a problem because it depends on what the area calls that level. i personally call it GLA, labelled lower level. now under level 2 i have seen what i would call the basement. the additional problem is what do the comps look like. if they are similar looking then your GLA assumption about the comps are good. if they look different, then you could have a big difference in GLA causing a problem. as long as you are consistent with what you do you are fine. the problem is different splits where your adjustments could be big. you can note that this area considers it GLA, you are not obliged to follow ansi to driving off the cliff.

However you technically label it, remember that market reaction can be different than your labels. Also, be diligent when viewing MLS/auditor info on potential comps. Realtors are famous for calling all levels of a home GLA or living area (they don't usually know the difference), so make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

You may have high gross adjustments with cancelling out adjustments between basement and GLA if the market sees them the same.

If the dirt outside is at a higher elevation than the foundation (which maybe a slab?) floor... then it is below grade. But if the lower level is on a subfloor, then it is probably higher than the soil line. In any case, whatever you call it, 'splain, 'splain, 'splain... and try to fine at least 1 or 2 split-levels. In my market they are rare as hen's teeth. I have probably done no more than 5 in 30 years. Never had a true comp ever.

Yes. There are several split level homes here in the Knoxville area with all of the lower level above grade. There is one subdivision in the West Knoxville area which has several of them. I used to be able to calculate that there was an actual difference in value between those all above grade and those with below grade. I haven't done any appraisals on any of those above grade split levels in the last 10 years, so, I don't know if the market reacts to the difference. You will need to find at least one comp. with a similar design even if you have to go back in time. It may be necessary to use a percentage based upon what the difference was when it sold and then apply it to your comps.. Just explain what and why you did it.

I have a similar question and cant see his pics. Using Firefox. Is this why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back