• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Split Level Measuring GLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Split Levels do not have Basements-Its all GLA :)

I have a similar question and cant see his pics. Using Firefox. Is this why?
OP deleted the photos. Here's a similar home compared to what OP posted. OPs home was even more ambiguous, but it's always the same.

Isn't the whole point of a split level to have uneven stories in order to best deal with the topography of the lot? If the lot was flat then they'd make an actual 2-story?

1677611634128.png

Don't take anything Glenn posts seriously if he includes the dumb smiley face.

6e9SYFu_j1Pszj0mHobEwfCoonuHuAM5MvY5sg9nExgVAkFfb-7cuyimuTNAfl9-mZgggr18mQyvtiGAyATRrhPcvmcB-2r04OhMFvOeOgSmh4FC3XJZQSj46O6stjvmjtxuie0Fuv0gH_8WQuFnwiwJxwlDn1ppQiHaovacsLAwjKG28lwuPPEWpQOL2LQtq0D7hJbh1XrJGU8x2_2N3emiwKEq49ZqJkkllDKSmGJ9F8Ww5EtblQpTFa5wjq3_c3cK-hm7Dagv3I0K7YPiKNWk3iJ8y26QtwZieQVQllNNSMt3rLhiP8b-K96NSjxLez7zK-DEJRTCs7Qlm-g9c_pl7nfLviWy3KxyR_9Xg1AlkwjJEPR6WaXBYzi_Ha-st5tZFBUjAZkD4ywk6AiX5xIbBgRZ1hbWIYE-AOvdTSoOVq-j_yE8fuy0PyUIAS9udgIn04ZU8dR-DQeXeCriaWFeJ1CANddwcXy4G5lMbtNKVUNL3YbNKLl4DJv1uA_DHrBSJqlXxLS1yasupqfhwaLZeniHUL229bouZFnryoUel5XorugWlXpD3UGIkGWYXcPKBNovFtrfgXOICP7Jq9FBokGW5br0ur5fx_rUZOeTCRNNiLqYbkTJYqfHKkEDLHl2tEcQe-ovQ3Qh_bUN1Dg3vIffmEJJf-1dLwH2lcttdSg7UTMzaMNEwasm4ANKl-r_rwAH8D5YapZ6bnD-gRfWnO_Na8bNZPS6VJP28Bu2jk1PNRmMjZHEhulk7PAjzbuFB95zq1LyOkNr5xsabjg1DU22RNALaYF5ZSDVbqFb9kv8H7GHPL1kJlG8hgIbnQVkquRRGoB43q4MISKvMPaGkWEpHygb5WWukcH1ddabWAARPx01hS_DnAzS_ZikdoYUHH2AMg8HleDS3eLAErmVaGOYk3ZPGqS6k9XqAb-XrHdzrNGoE9pO2EqPAtz4P6FAwlw9TFLoyxh83g=w1232-h927-no

What ch'all think?

This looks like the same layout as your photo.

Edit: Calling everything GLA and saying 'no basement' is common some areas. I like to separate it out, but many times it works better the other way. Just make sure you measure the comps the same.

Does your property have a sub-basement?

1677612545391.png

Last edited:
OP deleted the photos. Here's a similar home compared to what OP posted. OPs home was even more ambiguous, but it's always the same.

Isn't the whole point of a split level to have uneven stories in order to best deal with the topography of the lot? If the lot was flat then they'd make an actual 2-story?

View attachment 72966

Don't take anything Glenn posts seriously if he includes the dumb smiley face.
I thought that's how he looks - dumb ***** face.

On gentle sloping hill -Two Story Split Level and all GLA . No Real Basement and done to level foundation.
Yeah, I would probably go all GLA too honestly. My chart is also a reasonable way. Just do it consistently for each comp, that's the main thing.

Depends on the market.

Measuring and caculating GLA is trivial. Learn ANSI and use it. The confusion comes when you have a market where the finished basement area of a split level is commonly included as living area in the MLS.... without the information needed to break it out separately. My approach, for 30+ years, has been to report GLA per Fannie/Feddie definitions in describing the subject improvement... and to use the SF that is common for the market in the grid. You will need to add a comment explaining that is what you did. Never had a problem from a Lender about doing it that way.

also look at public records GLA noted. then you have to add another comment about your GLA not seeming to be close to the county GLA. also, some of you ansi purists need to get over being an inch below grade on 1 side. in my area we have sub basements, so the ansi purists can call it a bilevel basement. but here the market and sane appraisera will call that garage level the1st level, or in my case i call it the lower level, part of the GLA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back