• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Split Level Measuring GLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Year as a Licensed Real Estate Appraiser so take it easy on me as I ask this question.

I have only performed 2 appraisals on a "split level" subject as a trainee. Back then I learned that if any part of the "lower level" is below grade you have to consider the entire GLA of that area as basement finished square footage. I took this at the time to mean ALL split levels would fit this criteria.

I am on my own and have one, however it (in my opinion) does not fit any of the criteria for the below grade "basement" square footage on the lower level. Is it possible to have a split level completely above ground? I have attached a photo of the front exterior and the side where you can see you have to walk up stairs to even access the "Lower Level". Would all of this be "above grade"?
in my market - split level characterized by lower/middle areas + 1-2 upper areas... with a true basement [if present] below the middle area [area where living /dining/kitchen typically present]

so I totally get / agree about your market perceiving "lower" area as true GLA and including it as such in appraisal.

one issue that mucks the issue is assessment GLA; I often find [especially when no true basement area present below the middle section] that assessors report the lower area to be basement instead of walk-out living area and incl in the GLA; and because assessment sketches are 1-dimensional -> assessor's only incl middle & upper sections in rptd GLA and incorrectly show lower as basement. And--- if there's a built-in garage.... sometimes it's not "removed" / carved out [due to 1-dim sketch limitation] -> so GLA shown by assessor is actually GBA and just incorrect representation. Bottom line is if you report subj's lower level as GLA [and not bsmt] -> make sure you're doing apple-to-apples comparison and adjust reported GLA of comps [especially is same model] in the SCA grid if comps are also split levels, have B.I. garages etc. to ensure you're reporting consistently.

another issue you now face is ANSI. If any part of lower level appears to be below-grade [i.e. whether due to landscaping, etc.] -> you need to exclude it from GLA and separately account for area on as a separate line-item on the SCA grid

hope this helps!

also look at public records GLA noted. then you have to add another comment about your GLA not seeming to be close to the county GLA. also, some of you ansi purists need to get over being an inch below grade on 1 side. in my area we have sub basements, so the ansi purists can call it a bilevel basement. but here the market and sane appraisera will call that garage level the1st level, or in my case i call it the lower level, part of the GLA.
I've noticed in reviews that a lot of appraisers do that. I never have. If I've done a full inspection, I don't really care what SF the tax assessor thinks the improvement is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back