• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Tri-level List Price Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

j.hall0525

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Virginia
I have a 3 bedroom, 2 full bathroom tri-level that is 2,004 sq.ft.
I have very little data specific to tri-levels to compare it to. What else is a suitable comparable? I have attached a picture for a more accurate visual.

Attachments

• 19702450_1084014451700514_3623202016815941888_n.jpg
    19702450_1084014451700514_3623202016815941888_n.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 36

CindyR

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
in my market area no one even understands the term. no difference whatsoever from a 2-story home of similar size and features. your area may be different.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
In my world we call that a "Split-Level".
Are you counting the basement
(area partially below grade level, and/or it may <also> have a true basement)
in the square footage?

j.hall0525

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
In my world we call that a "Split-Level".
Are you counting the basement
(area partially below grade level, and/or it may <also> have a true basement)
in the square footage?

Yes, counting the basement. The basement is entirely finished with a full bath, laundry room and family room with fireplace.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Yes, counting the basement. The basement is entirely finished with a full bath, laundry room and family room with fireplace.

Here we call it a split level.

Compares to a bi-level, or even a two story because of the interior stairs. Don't count the partial basement as GLA. It's still below grade, finished or not.

Jim Bartley

Professional Status
State
Virginia
What else is a suitable comparable?

Other styles with 2000 GLA, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. You may need to adjust for the Style.
Generally speaking, Split Foyer's are the cheapest (on $/sf basis), then Tri-levels, followed by Capes, Colonials and Ranchers.
So a 2000sf Tri level may sell for 3% - 7% less than a 2000sf Colonial.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio

be careful what you consider living area. in the two counties i cover they are reported differently, and the market views them differently. in one county the lower level is basement, in the other it is part of the living area (which results in more taxes paid too). if going by ANSI standards the lower level is basement and not living area (no matter the level of finish).

in my market the only other comparable properties, according to what the market/agents/buyers actions have taught me as an appraiser, are bi-level houses. these styles of homes are very dated (70s) and do not have the same appeal as a ranch or colonial. there is a large segment of the buying pool who does not want to walk up and down steps as much as these styles of homes require. they typically have longer marketing times and sell for less than similarly sized colonials.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Split levels may sell for less since burglars don't need a ladder to get into the lower level windows. Not to mention stairs, stairs, everywhere you go freaking stairs. No bueno since the 70s.

Salty

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
In my area they tend to sell for less than the typical 2-story colonial. Even if you consider all the levels in the GLA and is is similar to the colonial, the colonial still has a true basement in addition to the GLA. Unless its one of those split-levels with a true or "sub" basement in addition to the lower level that is typical of these homes. I will go back in time up to 2-years if I have to to pull other split-levels. Otherwise, like others have said, I use ranch homes with finished basements and bi-levels. The key, at least for me, is if the split-level has that additional fully below grade basement level I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks