• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Unpaid VA Fee By Large Lender

Status
Not open for further replies.

GParis

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Completed a VA appraisal on 10/30/2018. I started following up the POC on the 1805 on the 31st day with no response. I started to expand my reach into this lender including processors & loan originators. I have left messages and sent emails to no less than 8 different people and received one response that it will be forwarded to their accounting department. That was over a month ago. When I follow up with her now I get no response. I have even tracked down (thank you google) and left several messages for people in their accounting department and have received no response.
I sent a request to the VA for payment assistance on 12/31/2018 and followed up on 01/03/2019. After no responses, I called and spoke to someone at the VA who said they will forward my assistance request to a supervisor. Few days later, no response from the VA. I call again and spoke to a supervisor. He told me they are busy and short-handed and they will send out letters when/if they get a chance but don't count on them to be able to apply any kind of assistance in this matter. I was told that Lenders Handbook Chap 10.12 (requesting payment up front) went away and is no longer applicable a long time ago. Later on that same day I got 2 appraisal requests (one minute apart), with one being for this same lender.
I've been appraising for 15 years and other than one company that went bankrupt early on in my career I have collected every fee. Anyone else have a similar experience and how did you deal with it?

Pam Weed

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Completed a VA appraisal on 10/30/2018. I started following up the POC on the 1805 on the 31st day with no response. I started to expand my reach into this lender including processors & loan originators. I have left messages and sent emails to no less than 8 different people and received one response that it will be forwarded to their accounting department. That was over a month ago. When I follow up with her now I get no response. I have even tracked down (thank you google) and left several messages for people in their accounting department and have received no response.
I sent a request to the VA for payment assistance on 12/31/2018 and followed up on 01/03/2019. After no responses, I called and spoke to someone at the VA who said they will forward my assistance request to a supervisor. Few days later, no response from the VA. I call again and spoke to a supervisor. He told me they are busy and short-handed and they will send out letters when/if they get a chance but don't count on them to be able to apply any kind of assistance in this matter. I was told that Lenders Handbook Chap 10.12 (requesting payment up front) went away and is no longer applicable a long time ago. Later on that same day I got 2 appraisal requests (one minute apart), with one being for this same lender.
I've been appraising for 15 years and other than one company that went bankrupt early on in my career I have collected every fee. Anyone else have a similar experience and how did you deal with it?
I've contacted and filed a complaint with the OCC. This worked every time for me and within a short period of time.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
i had good luck recently sending a paper invoice (with late fees) via certified mail with a return receipt request. the morons in AP did wait 30 days to pay it but i did get paid.

hillbillyman

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
West Virginia
Disappointing to hear. My RLC has strict guidelines on what and how to send information for unpaid invoices before any action will be taken. If the requested information is not sent exactly as requested it gets trashed. Does your RLC have a memo out for reporting payment problems?

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Government shut down impacting the staffing levels at VA? Sure the mortgage funding might be in place, but the complaint department????

sandpiperapp

Professional Status
State
New York
Government shut down impacting the staffing levels at VA? Sure the mortgage funding might be in place, but the complaint department????

No, from what I understand, the VA is fully funded for 2019, so there have been no staffing changes.

I have sent in Requests for Assistance with Payment to the VA general mailbox before and did not get a response, but when I followed up with the RLC, somebody responded and sent out letters to the lender on my behalf. I have never had them tell me they cant help. I deal with the Cleveland RLC and they have always been cooperative and helpful.

Send letters to the lender every week and after another thirty days send another Request for Assistance with Payment form to the RLC again. Most of the large lenders are good with payment, but I have had difficulties with Chase before.

Be persistent

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
No, from what I understand, the VA is fully funded for 2019, so there have been no staffing changes.

I have sent in Requests for Assistance with Payment to the VA general mailbox before and did not get a response, but when I followed up with the RLC, somebody responded and sent out letters to the lender on my behalf. I have never had them tell me they cant help. I deal with the Cleveland RLC and they have always been cooperative and helpful.

Send letters to the lender every week and after another thirty days send another Request for Assistance with Payment form to the RLC again. Most of the large lenders are good with payment, but I have had difficulties with Chase before.

Be persistent
The Roanoke RLC advises that we send copy of the 26-1805-1, copy of W9 and copy of invoice to them. Also, contact your state backing commission, and send an e-mail to the CFPB and the FFIEC as well. OCC has worked for me. Also, send a letter to the local BBB where the bakk by address on the 1805 is located.

hillbillyman

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
West Virginia
No funding issues. Son-in-law works at the VA and nothing is different now compared to before the shutdown. Your VA RLC is the best route for the fastest resolution.

Scott R.

Professional Status
State
California
This happens every now and then. Some have been as slow as 120 days.

After about 70 days and only after allowing ample time to let the VA send a notice to them I send a DEMAND LETTER via certified mail. It costs about $5 but well worth it. That way if I have to, I can file in small claims court and try and get a judgement (if it goes that far).

Professional Status
General Public
State
Pennsylvania
Occasionally it has happened. Requests from VA have garnered either no response or one of showing such little concern that you knew it went directly to the trash. However, the lender definitely responded to being served notice by a deputy on behalf of the local magistrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks