• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA Application & References

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascended

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Hey guys. Question. I applied to VA 6 months ago. They just asked me for another appraiser reference. The thing is I already gave them 3 references and honestly, I don't know any other appraisers. I asked them if there was an alternative and they said no. It had to be an appraiser giving a reference to me. I have exhausted all ways I can think of to get a reference. Can anyone throw some ideas my way? I know it seems like an easy problem to solve.

Thank you for your thoughts.

The VA called me last week and asked me to apply. They said that they wanted 2 appraisers recommendation letters and one from a lender. I told them that we have not been allowed to speak directly with lenders since HVCC, but I could give them a list of AMCs. They said just the 2 appraisers would be fine.

Hey guys. Question. I applied to VA 6 months ago. They just asked me for another appraiser reference. The thing is I already gave them 3 references and honestly, I don't know any other appraisers. I asked them if there was an alternative and they said no. It had to be an appraiser giving a reference to me. I have exhausted all ways I can think of to get a reference. Can anyone throw some ideas my way? I know it seems like an easy problem to solve.

Thank you for your thoughts.

You should probably get out and get to know some of your peers. Maybe a local networking meeting or the Appraisal Institute. If you have a regular appraisal school that you attend, I know a lot of instructors are always happy to help.

Simple answer: Dig out your high school prom suit, get out of the basement and mingle at a live USPAP class.

Complex answer: Volunteer/serve on local boards/committees where you interact with fellow real estate professionals. Start with you local MLS monthly meetings. 30 minutes a month. That's all it takes. Not only will you meet more people, you WILL make more money. I picked up a cash buyer appraisal from a broker recommendation that I say hi to at the monthly MLS meetings. Nice fat cash fee on a cookie assignment. I'll buy the office some doughnuts so they will remember me for future opportunities (and I'll write off the doughnuts lol).

It ain't hard, just takes a wee bit of time.

Last edited:
Join an appraisal organization - AI, NAIFA, ASA, NAFM&RA, etc. & etc. OH! How about AAREA? Don't not go to meetings; don't not take any CE classes that organization offers. You might just meet enough of the members of any of them during the application process develop someone who knows your reputation.

I got an email last week from an appraiser that I had never met before. He was writing to ask me to provide a VA recommendation letter for him. I had to politely explain that I do not write recommendation letters for people I do not know :)

All the people who wrote letters for me in the past have retired or gone to the home. When I call them now, they say, "Who?', I get no response from AP.

All the people who wrote letters for me in the past have retired or gone to the home. When I call them now, they say, "Who?', I get no response from AP.
Though I have never actually been on the VA panel, I have written letters for several over the years - but always for people I actually know (and whose work I have actually seen). One time I actually got a request for a VA recommendation letter from an appraiser that I had just testified against at a state board hearing. :)

Though I have never actually been on the VA panel, I have written letters for several over the years - but always for people I actually know (and whose work I have actually seen). One time I actually got a request for a VA recommendation letter from an appraiser that I had just testified against at a state board hearing. :)
Well, you knew their work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back