• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA Application & References

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascended

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Hey guys. Question. I applied to VA 6 months ago. They just asked me for another appraiser reference. The thing is I already gave them 3 references and honestly, I don't know any other appraisers. I asked them if there was an alternative and they said no. It had to be an appraiser giving a reference to me. I have exhausted all ways I can think of to get a reference. Can anyone throw some ideas my way? I know it seems like an easy problem to solve.

Thank you for your thoughts.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
The VA called me last week and asked me to apply. They said that they wanted 2 appraisers recommendation letters and one from a lender. I told them that we have not been allowed to speak directly with lenders since HVCC, but I could give them a list of AMCs. They said just the 2 appraisers would be fine.

GA Benny

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Hey guys. Question. I applied to VA 6 months ago. They just asked me for another appraiser reference. The thing is I already gave them 3 references and honestly, I don't know any other appraisers. I asked them if there was an alternative and they said no. It had to be an appraiser giving a reference to me. I have exhausted all ways I can think of to get a reference. Can anyone throw some ideas my way? I know it seems like an easy problem to solve.

Thank you for your thoughts.
You should probably get out and get to know some of your peers. Maybe a local networking meeting or the Appraisal Institute. If you have a regular appraisal school that you attend, I know a lot of instructors are always happy to help.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Simple answer: Dig out your high school prom suit, get out of the basement and mingle at a live USPAP class.

Complex answer: Volunteer/serve on local boards/committees where you interact with fellow real estate professionals. Start with you local MLS monthly meetings. 30 minutes a month. That's all it takes. Not only will you meet more people, you WILL make more money. I picked up a cash buyer appraisal from a broker recommendation that I say hi to at the monthly MLS meetings. Nice fat cash fee on a cookie assignment. I'll buy the office some doughnuts so they will remember me for future opportunities (and I'll write off the doughnuts lol).

It ain't hard, just takes a wee bit of time.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida

Last edited:

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Join an appraisal organization - AI, NAIFA, ASA, NAFM&RA, etc. & etc. OH! How about AAREA? Don't not go to meetings; don't not take any CE classes that organization offers. You might just meet enough of the members of any of them during the application process develop someone who knows your reputation.

DWiley

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I got an email last week from an appraiser that I had never met before. He was writing to ask me to provide a VA recommendation letter for him. I had to politely explain that I do not write recommendation letters for people I do not know :)

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
All the people who wrote letters for me in the past have retired or gone to the home. When I call them now, they say, "Who?', I get no response from AP.

DWiley

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
All the people who wrote letters for me in the past have retired or gone to the home. When I call them now, they say, "Who?', I get no response from AP.
Though I have never actually been on the VA panel, I have written letters for several over the years - but always for people I actually know (and whose work I have actually seen). One time I actually got a request for a VA recommendation letter from an appraiser that I had just testified against at a state board hearing. :)

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Though I have never actually been on the VA panel, I have written letters for several over the years - but always for people I actually know (and whose work I have actually seen). One time I actually got a request for a VA recommendation letter from an appraiser that I had just testified against at a state board hearing. :)
Well, you knew their work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks