- Joined
- Apr 4, 2007
- Professional Status
- Certified Residential Appraiser
- State
- Tennessee
Turning back reports 48 hour hours after inspection is simply not the monumental challenge some assert. How do I know that? Because I did it (and my staff did it) consistently for the better part of three decades.
At my current company, to get the highest service score, one must return 80% of reports back within 48 hours of inspection. That is actually a lower standard than I had at my own appraisal firm. And, there are certainly times when it cannot be done. That is why the bar is not set at 100%.
Now, having said that, it does require something that many just aren't strong at - time management. It requires things like scheduling report writing time, and sticking to the schedule. It requires one to manage workflow rather than having workflow mange you. When people tell me it cannot be done, especially in urban or suburban areas, I just smile, because I know better. In rural areas it tends to be a non-issue, because everyone faces the same challenges and scores are affected equally.
Also, simple communication goes a long way. If an appraiser communicates a valid reason for delay, then we change the due date, and the scoring adjusts accordingly.
I know some are probably seeing red about this - but the harsh reality is that service time counts. It always has - even more today in this Amazon world we are in. Yes, we score service time, and in the total score service is 1/3 of the score and quality is 2/3 of the score. And, guess what? The lenders score AMCs in a very similar manner.
Frankly, my first mentor taught me more about customer service than he did about the technical aspect of appraisal, and I am thankful for that. I could learn the technical part in classes, and I did. But there aren't many appraisal classes that focus on customer service.
If appraisers as a whole do not become more customer service oriented, it is going to lead to their demise. And, before good 'ol DJ jumps in - that does not mean giving them whatever number they want. It means treating paying clients like, well, your paying clients, and ditching the entitlement attitude that is prevalent among a significant percentage. That attitude is my number one source of complaints from lenders right now.
At my current company, to get the highest service score, one must return 80% of reports back within 48 hours of inspection. That is actually a lower standard than I had at my own appraisal firm. And, there are certainly times when it cannot be done. That is why the bar is not set at 100%.
Now, having said that, it does require something that many just aren't strong at - time management. It requires things like scheduling report writing time, and sticking to the schedule. It requires one to manage workflow rather than having workflow mange you. When people tell me it cannot be done, especially in urban or suburban areas, I just smile, because I know better. In rural areas it tends to be a non-issue, because everyone faces the same challenges and scores are affected equally.
Also, simple communication goes a long way. If an appraiser communicates a valid reason for delay, then we change the due date, and the scoring adjusts accordingly.
I know some are probably seeing red about this - but the harsh reality is that service time counts. It always has - even more today in this Amazon world we are in. Yes, we score service time, and in the total score service is 1/3 of the score and quality is 2/3 of the score. And, guess what? The lenders score AMCs in a very similar manner.
Frankly, my first mentor taught me more about customer service than he did about the technical aspect of appraisal, and I am thankful for that. I could learn the technical part in classes, and I did. But there aren't many appraisal classes that focus on customer service.
If appraisers as a whole do not become more customer service oriented, it is going to lead to their demise. And, before good 'ol DJ jumps in - that does not mean giving them whatever number they want. It means treating paying clients like, well, your paying clients, and ditching the entitlement attitude that is prevalent among a significant percentage. That attitude is my number one source of complaints from lenders right now.
