• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

View Adjustment Guidance and Opinion Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have in 30 years never adjusted for view...ever.

I personally believe that "view" is a part of the land value/site value/location. If you have determined the value of the lot correctly, it incorporates "view". The exception might be a condo "view" of the ocean from back, side and front might be different.... but I don't do those kinds of condos.

He had the data. You don't. He testified successfully and defended his methodology and values. I'll go with Mr. Roberge.
Was the data provided to the taxpayers? As stated above, I did not question his results. But, my opinion remains, anyone who says they know that any one feature in any one transaction added a specific dollar amount is a fool and is kidding themselves or promoting the narrative they are selling. But, suckers are born every minute and some will believe anything!

I personally believe that "view" is a part of the land value/site value/location. If you have determined the value of the lot correctly, it incorporates "view". The exception might be a condo "view" of the ocean from back, side and front might be different.... but I don't do those kinds of condos.
The reason appraisers adjust for views is because the market pays for views as a feature. The fact that raw land or a site with a view can sell for more belongs in the cost approach.

he contributory value reflected as an adjustment extracted from price belongs to the sales comparison approach. Adjusting for views is typical peer practice so not adjusting for views as blanket policy puts one outside of peer practice for residential properties

Was the data provided to the taxpayers? As stated above, I did not question his results. But, my opinion remains, anyone who says they know that any one feature in any one transaction added a specific dollar amount is a fool and is kidding themselves or promoting the narrative they are selling. But, suckers are born every minute and some will believe anything!
Not sure if you missed it when I posted above, but there were numerous lawsuits. The issue was that the towns wanted to capture the value they believed they missed with a standard mass appraisal model. In NH, like all the New England states, fee simple, retrospective values at highest and best use are developed as assessments using mass appraisal methods.

In those states, properties are valued for assessment by property type strata at the town level. Mobile homes are a strata generally. Single-family are a strata. And so on. Maybe five total strata in a small town; more in a city.

The issue came up because the non-view residential properties were holding down the assessments for view properties because all the SFR were assessed together.

Mr. Roberge built a regional assessing firm that assesses probably 75 towns in NH. Most are small, rural, and in the mountains. So, he built a model that captured the contributory value of views. That model was tested extensively at the BTLA. The risk to the towns was enormous. If the taxpayers prevailed or if the BTLA found Mr. Roberge's methodology, analysis, or conclusions to be flawed, the BTLA could order a town-wide reassessment in an off-year. The towns certainly would not have that fee already budgeted so town finances were very much at risk.

Taxpayers had access to every discovery tool and used those tools. Trial lawyers made lots of money. In the end, the BTLA was convinced by Mr. Roberge's method, analysis, and conclusions. To this day, his method stands and no law has been passed in NH to ban his practice.

So, again, Mr. Roberge had the data. You don't. I will stick with Mr. Roberge.

Maybe because we live in the flat lands, views are not as big a deal as other areas of the country. But, I have had agents talk about the lake view of a home where you basically had to be on the roof or over six foot tall in the upstairs windows to see the view. I have also had them promote the view that would be only accessible when the trees had no leaves or until the new homes across the street have been built. Also, typically a lake front property does not need the double dip of a lake view adjustment. Without seeing the OPs actual view, it is hard to say if a view adjustment is supported. But it sure sounds like the stand up and crane your neck view out the upstairs window.

On a clear day, I can see A T & T stadium out one of my upstairs windows. Now, that is 20 miles away, but that stadium is huge. Added value? $0. I can also see the north star and big dipper on clear nights. Maybe I need to rethink this view adjustment thing.

The way to derive an adjustment: Find ~4 comps with partial views. Try to make the comps as homogenous as possible. Doesn't matter what year the sales are from if older data is better. Now find ~4 comps that are similar but have no partial views.

Put all these comps into a grid and adjust for the differences as if you had a subject property to analyze. Do all of the adjustments except for view. Hopefully - and with enough practice - the adjusted price range will demonstrate the view adjustments.

So comps 1-3 (the superior view comps) range from $450k-475k. Comps 4-6 (the normal comps) range from $425k-450k. This tells you that a reasonable adjustment is about 4%-6% of sale price.

The appraisal education gets hung up on paired sale analysis, but two data points are irrelevant. They never really explain that paired sale analysis doesn't have to be limited to just two comps. It's all about

The reason appraisers adjust for views is because the market pays for views as a feature. The fact that raw land or a site with a view can sell for more belongs in the cost approach.

he contributory value reflected as an adjustment extracted from price belongs to the sales comparison approach. Adjusting for views is typical peer practice so not adjusting for views as blanket policy puts one outside of peer practice for residential properties
Well said, I’ve never heard of anything like this…ever. I can’t even wrap my mind around it. If one house has a view and another doesn’t and you don’t make an adjustment for over 30 years? That is just stubborn.

If you mean that comparable selection found sales of properties with similar views, then I agree. No adjustment needed for a feature the subject and all comparables share in equal amounts.

Why would the condo view be an exception? Because it isn't tied to land value?

You have two lots that are similar in size. 1 has a view and 1 doesn't. You make the adjustment on the site line? That doesn't make any sense IMO.

Pairs. Thing is, the pairs don't have to be current. Find a pair... more if you can... from even 10 or more years ago. Extract the difference as a percentage. Although we all want to be accurate, remember that there is no USPAP requirement that every adjustment be correct.... they have to be supported. You have to work with the data that's available to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back