• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Would you include this in the GLA starting 4/1/22

Would you include this finished 2nd floor in the GLA starting 4/1/22

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how I will approach this on reports.View attachment 59751
You can do it that way if you want. But I am going to call the area that qualifies as GLA, GLA. Really does not make sense to penalize a room because some of it does not qualify as GLA. Good luck doing it your way with hip roofs and dormers.

You can do it that way if you want. But I am going to call the area that qualifies as GLA, GLA. Really does not make sense to penalize a room because some of it does not qualify as GLA. Good luck doing it your way with hip roofs and dormers.
I don't think you have to penalize the area. You only have to place it on a separate line and not on the GLA line. If the comps are similar style homes with a similar layout. They can go on the other finished sq ft line too. You will have to use your knowledge of the local market to know if those sales meet the same criteria as the subject.

You will have to use your knowledge of the local market to know if those sales meet the same criteria as the subject.
When it comes to my local market. In Cape Cods. ANSI is not typically a consideration. Seems this particular situation is up to interpretation. What is or what isn't GLA. If you have two identical homes. One has a 5' knee wall with 50% of the width at 7' (use an 10' wide room with 5'of ceiling at 7') But then you have one with a 4' knee wall. But the same 7' tall 5' width measurement. But the total room width at knee wall is 12'. Using your method. the first one is GLA, the second one has no GLA. Please explain how that interpretation makes any sense at all.

Reactions: DTB
It's not my method. It's ANSI/FANNIE method. I would hope there will be more guidance on this before April.

I also hope Assessors, Realtors and MLS systems require the same standards to everyone will be on the same page when it comes to pubic records reporting and realtors listings.

It's not my method. It's ANSI/FANNIE method. I would hope there will be more guidance on this before April.

I also hope Assessors, Realtors and MLS systems require the same standards to everyone will be on the same page when it comes to pubic records reporting and realtors listings.
Actually your method is your interpretation of the standard. Just like mine is mine. I tend to look not only at the standard. But the reason and context of the standard. The standard does not exist in a vacuum.

So far the consensus is use the portion that conforms to ANSI/Fannie and maybe put the remaining section as a line item. Even so it's going to be difficult b/c the comparables more than likely were not measured to any sort of standard. As with this one I just saw. This area was still applied as GLA in the MLS. 3' knee wall to 3' knee wall. Bad data in...I hope local MLS and realtors start applying standards to their listings.
Although I'm not sufficiently familiar with this thread, I presume that an ordinary assumption would be appropriate, that the comparable measurements were similarly affected as the subject.

Although I'm not sufficiently familiar with this thread, I presume that an ordinary assumption would be appropriate, that the comparable measurements were similarly affected as the subject.
Many Realtors in rny area are hiriing Local Property Measuring Companies to measure their listings. From the number of sketches in the listings I have looked at it appears they are complying with ANSI. It gets better because they are also including walls, stair cases etc in the sketch.

I have got to get one of those apps for my Samsung S10 phone. Apple users have a free app to download from Apple that I guess does the same thing according to what apple says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back