• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Would you include this in the GLA starting 4/1/22

Would you include this finished 2nd floor in the GLA starting 4/1/22

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
never-mind - Trying to post Pix from ANSI-765-2003

The way it's described below is clear. That room as shown in the sketch cannot be on the GLA line.

If a house has a finished area that does not have a ceiling height of 7’ for 50% of the finished area, e.g., some cape cods, in conformance with the ANSI Standard, the appraiser may put this area on a separate line in the Sales Comparison Grid with the appropriate market adjustment. The report will be ANSI-compliant and also acknowledge the contributing value of the non-GLA square footage.

What if comparable sales are measured differently?
GLA for properties in local MLS systems and assessor records may not be ANSI-compliant. The appraiser may not know what method an MLS listing or assessor used to calculate the GLA. Through research and their knowledge of the local market, appraisers determine if the GLA provided through alternate sources should be adjusted. The adjustment process does not change the requirement to report subject GLA to the ANSI standard.

source: https://singlefamily.fanniemae.com/media/30266/display

Last edited:
ANSI-765-2003
Fixed it for you.

Ansi Attic.jpg

So the $64 question is if the 'dashed' width at the 7' height was 2 feet, and the floor distance was 10 feet (5' height) then how many ANSI finished area would the attic have? If ANSI doesn't restrict the area, then what does the '50% of finished area' pertain?

Fixed it for you.

View attachment 59747

So the $64 question is if the 'dashed' width at the 7' height was 2 feet, and the floor distance was 10 feet (5' height) then how many ANSI finished area would the attic have? If ANSI doesn't restrict the area, then what does the '50% of finished area' pertain?
if the 7' dotted area was 2 feet wide and the base was 10 feet wide. Only 20% would have a ceiling height of 7 feet. It needs to have 50% with a ceiling height of 7 feet to be considered GLA. So it has to go as a line item and not on the GLA line.

The problem with the sketches everyone has posted and making you read ANSI-765 and interpret what it says and come up with an answer.

Instead of showing a sketch without the answer like everyone has been doing in these threads, I would approach this differently.

I would act as a teacher! I would post an example of a Sketch(s) with the answers(dimensions etc). I would give you the answers and explain how I got there.

This would be far more effective.

This is probably how I will approach this on reports. ANSI Sketch.jpg

This is how I will approach this on reports.Ansi Sketch 2.jpg

200 Sft goes on a separate line. ASSUMING you have a Permanent Heat Source for year-round use and Fit N Finish are similar to the remainder of the house. If not its just plain old attic space to store your fake Christmas tree and anything else you just can't seem to throw away. LMAO

200 Sft goes on a separate line. ASSUMING you have a Permanent Heat Source for year-round use. If not its just plain old attic space to store your fake Christmas tree and anything else you just can't seem to throw away. LMAO
Yes, that's how I understand it.

" Finished areas must have a ceiling height of at least 7’. In a room with a sloping ceiling, at least 50% of the finished square footage of the room must have a ceiling height of at least 7’ and no portion of the finished area that has a ceiling height of less than 5’ can be included in the GLA."
Isn't the 7' rule based on the height of the owners/buyers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back