• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

3.6 Crunch Time

No way did my time double. Maybe an extra 1.5 hours, but that was because I had to familiarize myself with the program. I spent very little time in front of the computer. I did use the mobile app, Everything synced pretty quickly. Had I not had a few learning curve issues with the software I could have been done with the report in about 5 to 6 hours and that includes drive time. The time saving features will come. That will certainly help. I agree there is scope creep, but I took all kinds of pictures with the Mobile App before. Some of my lender had far more requirements. And the few extra items 3.6 asks for are really no big deal. I guess you will have to make a business decision. My fees were already averaging above 600. And they will go up. But no way will I double the fee. I don't think it is necessary. I did not pull my hair out either. I do NOT like the fact we are beta testers for the software companies. I guess everyone has their own experiences with how they deal with software. I bought my first computer in 1984. I dealt with DOS and all kinds of computer changes. I've changed appraisal software about 4 times in 30 years. Went from DOS to digital. Frankly, this isn't even close to what I've had to learn in the past.

Heck I remember using DOS and having to print out all the pages, take photos with a camera and wait 3 days to develop, then pasting them on the sheet, copying maps on a copier, then printing out 2 copies, stapling them, and then having to physically mail them. This isn't even close to that.
I just completed my first "test" report using an inspection from a 2.6 I just completed. Nothing really complicated. Just a ranch on a basement in an pud. Took me about 2 hours using the software for the first time. Used my own MLS date (able to import csv) and didn't use any of the extras. I was waiting for the onslaught of the dreaded extra data points that everyone is harping about and discovered that 99% were already in notes I have been making for years. I didn't measure the height of the threshold from grade, but all AI had to do was look at my subject front photo and it was only one step up, so between 6" and 8", So I check the up to 1' box. That was about it, but I would have been done sooner if it wasn't for a couple of brain farts
 
The “layman” isn’t my client. I wouldn’t think about using the 3.6 for a private job. In fact I wouldn’t think about using the 2.6 for a private job. Wrong certifications, etc. I use GP forms for private work.
Actually, user testing by a third party indicates that consumers much prefer the 3.6 format. By any objective standard it is just far easier to read and understand
 
You forgot the part about your reports appearing incompetently developed to the laymen whom is familliar with the classical form.

That's going to be the trip point for the entire industry.

Nobody outside the gse realm will ever adopt this form.

Because it's not an intelligent design.

Who splits the grid, which is a math equation, into five different pages and forgets the net/gross indicator?
Easy just don't do them. No reason for anyone to wring their hands it's not helping themselves or anybody else- just counting down the clock until it's time to do them or move on in life. It will be year 2027 in a few months and no more crying.
 
Actually, user testing by a third party indicates that consumers much prefer the 3.6 format. By any objective standard it is just far easier to read and understand
I know some appraisers won't want to hear this, but I can tell you that my underwriters also prefer the UAD 3.6 format as the 3.6 reports are indeed better organized and easier to read. They especially like the fact that they no longer need to wade through pages and pages of addenda looking for relevant comments that are often buried within pages of boilerplate nonsense, as any relevant comments are now found within the section of the report to which they apply.

UAD 3.6 may initially be a pain for appraisers, although I suspect that most appraisers will get used to it and figure out how to deal with it efficiently after a burn-in period, while some will decide they don't want to deal with it and will move on to other things, which is just how it goes.
 
Last edited:
It’s your choice whether you want to do a 3.6 or not. That’s a business decision YOU have to make. But YOU don’t get to make that for ME, and nor should you criticize ME if I choose to make it. And as of now I don’t work for any AMCs. I am retired working part time for a few direct lenders. I have clients that have been pretty loyal to me for quite some time. They pay very well, and they treat me very well. These clients didn’t create the 3.6 mess we are in. BUT I believe I need to show some respect for their loyalty by trying to service them.
He's just trying to wind you up, man. Some posts don't merit responses.
 
Here’s a real world example from a realtor I recently spoke with:
Appraiser called to schedule a new 3.6 inspection. The inspection took a little longer than normal but no problems so far. The appraiser completed the 3.6 report and according to them it took additional time to complete. The file was delayed because of troubles submitting the report due to hard stop errors. After submission the AMC sent the appraiser 2 pages of revisions requesting additional addendums and commentary. The appraiser responded that the required commentary has already been provided through the designated drop-down fields in the new 3.6 report. The AMC demanded that all of the revisions and additional commentary be addressed anyway. The appraiser canceled the assignment and was denied a trip fee. We are now with a new lender that does not require 3.6 appraisals.

It’s not just our learning curve that will increase our workload and decease our productivity. Increase your fees accordingly.
 
Here’s a real world example from a realtor I recently spoke with:
Appraiser called to schedule a new 3.6 inspection. The inspection took a little longer than normal but no problems so far. The appraiser completed the 3.6 report and according to them it took additional time to complete. The file was delayed because of troubles submitting the report due to hard stop errors. After submission the AMC sent the appraiser 2 pages of revisions requesting additional addendums and commentary. The appraiser responded that the required commentary has already been provided through the designated drop-down fields in the new 3.6 report. The AMC demanded that all of the revisions and additional commentary be addressed anyway. The appraiser canceled the assignment and was denied a trip fee. We are now with a new lender that does not require 3.6 appraisals.

It’s not just our learning curve that will increase our workload and decease our productivity. Increase your fees accordingly.
What you are describing is an AMC problem, not a UAD 3.6 problem.
 
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top