• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AI Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
AI and some other appraisal organizations and other sources of appraisal education might want to consider partnering with universities.
AI has a joint MAI/MBA path at the University of Denver. I hired two young graduates from DU's Real Estate School a few years ago and neither had even heard of the MAI ! And neither had any interest in commercial/investment appraisal. In 2009-2010 it was pretty miserable trying to feed them for what they thought they were worth and the one gal was definitely worth, so after that I was done.

AI has a joint MAI/MBA path at the University of Denver. I hired two young graduates from DU's Real Estate School a few years ago and neither had even heard of the MAI ! And neither had any interest in commercial/investment appraisal. In 2009-2010 it was pretty miserable trying to feed them for what they thought they were worth and the one gal was definitely worth, so after that I was done.

Well, my opinion is that the people you hired had far more potential than many in the field today, and likely needed much less experience hours than many today who still need much more experience than the girl you mentioned, especially under a good mentor. Historical bad mentors are part of our problem today.

Well, my opinion is that the people you hired had far more potential than many in the field today, and likely needed much less experience hours than many today who still need much more experience than the girl you mentioned, especially under a good mentor. Historical bad mentors are part of our problem today.
I agree. At 22-23 yo, she had a very good sense of value and H&BU. With as little as 1.5 years of appraisal work, she was bored. It wasn't as if I didn't have some interesting assignments, and didn't try to give her flexibility and opportunity to grow within the confines of a super small company. She basically described the profession as "writing a college essay." (Many CGs and MAIs I know are bored to tears.) The beverage industry paid her a much more rewarding salary, not to mention benefits; it provided a career ladder and opportunity, and ability to grow a useful professional network.

So even in the MAI world, without the influence of AMCs,

this doesn't pay enough to attract the best and the brightest?

:censored:

I wonder why..........

Not.

This is an old profession, because it's appeals to "old" folks who have settled down and/or are looking for a new career/second career, and/or have a nest egg already.

So running around trying to treat this profession as if it's rocket science in silicon valley will always be counter productive because of the nature of the work.

Thanks for that perspective.

Yeah but,

They left out that mandatory background check comment NVS is selling.

Historical bad mentors are part of our problem today.
Good point ...perhaps better than your syntax...but good point

This is an old profession, because it's appeals to "old" folks who have settled down and/or are looking for a new career/second career, and/or have a nest egg already.

So running around trying to treat this profession as if it's rocket science in silicon valley will always be counter productive
Another good point. Most people do not enter the profession before the age of 30. And they didn't when licensing started back in 1992. Some "life experience" probably is more than average useful and under appreciated.

From the letter

The AQB Criteria do not require individuals holding a Trainee License to obtain experience in any geographical area. Subject to individual state requirements, a Trainee may be able to go to a different region (and potentially even a different state) to work under a supervising appraiser to gain the necessary experience to become a certified appraiser.
It's a pretty informative letter....!!!!! Email to your boards...
While the above may be true, in fact, for all practical purposes, the trainee will have a mountain of paperwork as well as his trainer if someone contemplates getting experience in more than one area, one state and with more than one supervisor. BTW, I had experience in both AR and OK and surprisingly, Arkansas asked for a report that I did in Oklahoma as one of my appraisal examples.

As much as we all love ourselves.

There aren't too many 20 somethings that want to sit in mom's basement and type reports when the world is full of the opposite sex you can only see on the internet.

At least in corporate world, there is significantly more social interaction, which, in my opinion, is the reason this profession is much more attractive to older, more settled folks than 20 somethings.

There is most likely no amount of "revamping the system" that would make this profession attract young people who are not married and still looking for a/some social partner(s), or someone to marry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back