• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

ANSI confusion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 100' fiberglass has both 1/10ft and inch.. But I have yet to find a 35' that has both.
These are pretty close...

How can you be sure? Could be higher quality homes/condos. I've never adjusted that high but I don't know the markets IVCA works in, could be Beverly Hills for all I know.

There's plenty of super high end stuff in Chicagoland, just a hunch.

These are pretty close...
The scales look strange. Especially on the Lufkin. Looks like 1/10 is bigger than an inch.

The scales look strange. Especially on the Lufkin. Looks like 1/10 is bigger than an inch.
I never bought one so I couldn't tell you, I keep a 25 foot steel tape handy for snaking underneath hedges or cacti and do the conversion in my head like a caveman. I will generally spend a little extra time trying to figure a laser solution for anything I don't use my fiberglass tape on and take the majority of my measurements with a Disto. I don't leave home without it (and a backup).

What you can't find a "rod and chains" to measure.... take notes on you slate with chaulk...

LOL

What are you talking about. If you are doing purchase. The buyer has already made an offer. Are you saying that that 20sf difference is going to be used as a negotiating point. Knowing you are in CA. you are probably talking about $1-2M houses at a minimum. I know you like to boast about your "accuracy". But if the buyer thinks it is 1500 sf when they make the offer. Are they going to balk when you say 1480sf. Seriously?

One thing I am talking about is a sale conditioned on an appraisal to cover the agreed purchase price. If the appraisal comes in low, then the buyer has to make up the difference in cash or the seller has to reduce the price. Or maybe after the sale you are sued and your insurance company gets hit with the difference, which they may not want to challenge because of clear evidence. Or maybe the seller hires you to do an appraisal that is lower than it should be and so doesn't sell the property for as much as he could have. All kinds of things can happen - and your sloppy measurements just add fuel to the flames. Oh yea.

That would likely be a shame as that would indicate, to me, that land value is included in that adjustment. :unsure:

No you are wrong. Actually the insurance companies around here advise going higher than that on many homes - including mine, - which is on average (there is a large addition done in 1993) 38 years old. - And that was some time ago. Today, I'm pretty sure the insurance agents recommendation would be much higher. My house went up in value per Zillow about $100K in the past month. - Lumber and other costs are soaring. [To be clear that is MY house - there are many more expensive homes in Pacifica. But Pacifica is certainly not the most expensive area around here: Hillsborough, Atherton, Palo Alto, Saratoga, .... ]

1647915827796.png

Attachments

• 1647915769916.png
    1647915769916.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

0.01 feet = 0.12 inches (now ain't that simple - just take 12 inches and move the decimal point over 2 places). Of course, I will admit if you take a fiberglass tape measure to a 50' exterior wall, with gravity doing its thing, you are not going to get that accuracy no matter how hard you pull the tape. But, you could get a target and use a laser - it's just more work.

I am going to have to pull out my Leica DST 360 and practice using it for such things:

But right now, I'm working on WebODM/ODM/QGIS workflow.

So many skills to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back