• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

ANSI Staircases

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliforniaSD

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I just completed the McKissock ANSI course and I am now completely confused as to the standard pertaining to staircases. So, from my understanding after this course, the finished staircase is counted as part of the finished area (GLA) on both the finished first and second floor. Is this correct? According to my understanding of the course, the only time a square footage deduction is made is when the staircase does not align with the second floor and obviously when there is a foyer area. Is this correct? The staircases are counted twice? I am so frustrated, I have taken the course, purchased and read the entire standard, researched online, and I cannot get a simple answer. Is the staircase counted as GLA on the first and second floor? If it is not, where do we subtract the staircase measurement, on the first or second floor? I am going insane, please help! McKissock makes you complete four case study examples and none of the examples subtract the staircase.

Look at 3.5 and 3.7 in the standard.

3.5 The stairs and landing are counted on the area from which they descend.
3.7 There is no minimum ceiling height for area beneath stairs

In combination these effectively and practically mean that the stairs are counted on both floors. The standard does not state it that way, but that is the practical effect. In a standard 2 story home, the stairs and landing that descend from the second floor are included in the second floor square footage. Then the area beneath the stairs, regardless of the ceiling height, is counted on the first floor. The net effect is including the stairs on both levels.

Contact the course instructor its included in the price.

In combination these effectively and practically mean that the stairs are counted on both floors. The standard does not state it that way, but that is the practical effect. In a standard 2 story home, the stairs and landing that descend from the second floor are included in the second floor square footage. Then the area beneath the stairs, regardless of the ceiling height, is counted on the first floor. The net effect is including the stairs on both levels.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. This is starting to make more sense now but what if there is nothing underneath the staircase? Thank you again for your time.

I just completed the McKissock ANSI course and I am now completely confused as to the standard pertaining to staircases. So, from my understanding after this course, the finished staircase is counted as part of the finished area (GLA) on both the finished first and second floor. Is this correct? According to my understanding of the course, the only time a square footage deduction is made is when the staircase does not align with the second floor and obviously when there is a foyer area. Is this correct? The staircases are counted twice? I am so frustrated, I have taken the course, purchased and read the entire standard, researched online, and I cannot get a simple answer. Is the staircase counted as GLA on the first and second floor? If it is not, where do we subtract the staircase measurement, on the first or second floor? I am going insane, please help! McKissock makes you complete four case study examples and none of the examples subtract the staircase.
I took a McKissock on ANSI and instructor didn't mentioned this. Must be different instructor. Yes very confusing.
Before, I always didn't include above foyer area. I hope you're right so I won't include that area.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. This is starting to make more sense now but what if there is nothing underneath the staircase? Thank you again for your time.
Before I didn't include underneath the staircase. My understanding is ANSI includes it. Doesn't make sense but that's ANSI. We have to play by its silly game.

Perhaps I've done it wrong for 30 years, but the stairs are a nothing burger. Basically each floor is a measurement of the perimeter outside and the stairs are basically ignored.
In the past, I'd seen some appraisers ignored the stairs. I thought they were lazy in not making effort to decide which part of stairs to include or not.
ANZI makes it easy on us to ignore the stairs. Now we have a Fannie standard in which we can ignore the stores. Appraisers don't need to make the judgement.
Another playbook for everyone to become appraisers.

Bingo. I love it when I run into complex staircases. Lol.

I am glad I was not the only one confused by this new nonsense. I have always removed the stair SqFt from the 2nd story as it seemed logical to me for the 1st floor to be the most complete. But perhaps that is just me. Now the new standard is declaring the opposite. This seems to present a sketching challenge. My mentor and I use ACI Sketch and if there is a feature that allows you to indicate the stairs AND ask it to remove that SqFt from the first story (so that it gets included as part of the 2nd story), we have not found it. As others have indicated, this gets stickier if you are having to split that up for area beneath the stairs. In my experience, if this exists... it it typically just a small closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back