• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

ANSI Staircases

Status
Not open for further replies.
What DW said.

And there is this...

1657565074809.png

ansi is so poorly written like USPAP, there is a three page thread on staircases :rof:
:rof: :rof:

The good news is simply ANSI is not that hard to understand. The Bad news is my Ala-commode Sketching program doesn't like to close the box. Plus you have to zoom in real close to be able to place the starting point precisely on the staring point. I use a mouse. of well I live with it...

The good news is simply ANSI is not that hard to understand. The Bad news is my Ala-commode Sketching program doesn't like to close the box. Plus you have to zoom in real close to be able to place the starting point precisely on the staring point. I use a mouse. of well I live with it...

If you place your cursor near a point and hit "J" it will jump the cursor to that point. Then hit enter to draw.

Also, if you hold control and hit your arrow towards the direction of point it will take the line to that point so you can easily close. Sometimes you have to hit the arrow multiple times by closing.

Just watch a YouTube video on the program to get some of these tips to save you a buttload of time.

I don't think it was ever meant to be the staircase measurement, I think it was always those Grandiose (as if I. 2200 sf of space with 150 feet if 2 story with a "plant shelf") 2 story Foyers which Assessors always claimed they couldn't possibly know that wasn't GLA from the exterior and which we can all hopefully agree post McMansion 90's was a bad Design idea of wasted space much like the "Vaulted plant shelf" area of my "luxury owners bath" I can't wait to demolish, circa 1994. Bye 1990s. Yes, the music was better, floor plans not so much. Trend is space saving now, roll out space drawers and garbage bins, etc. It was always just 150-200 square feet to play with for assessors and therefore realtors. I can't remember any appraiser I ever worked with both public servants and independent appraisers ever counting the entire 2nd story of a 2 story Entrance, and I never have, but let's leave that up to ANSI, not common sense.
The music was not better, you just got too old to find good new music.

You never worked with me. If a two story has with no basement has a footprint of 1200 SF with 1200 SF footprint on top of the 1st floor it is 2,400 SF...I do not remove the stairs. Never have, never knew any appraiser around here to do so. OTOH, an 18' ceiling in the "great" room, that's not GLA of the second floor either.

I don't know why stairs are such a sticking point. Do we remove the hotwater closet? The W/D closest, the closests on the end of halls, HVAC space? Where do you stop with that process?
In my market the stairs were always removed from the second floor. Stairs can range from 60sqft to 250 sqft. This makes for a problem with the standards change. I am now comparing model matches that have GLA adjustments due to stairs. the GLA of the subject suddenly gets bigger and is no longer a fair comparison to comparables that still use the old standard.

Change your settings, my ala mode is always trying to close the box. Even when I don't want it to.

I see the problem, but is it? They're not wanting you to deduct the step area from the unfinished upper total area.
You would add the finished staircase to the attic. So take a typical 2 story with 1200sf on each level with a finished staircase going up to an unfinished attic. Instead of being 2400sf it would be 2400sf + the area of the stairs going to the attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back