• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

ANSI Staircases

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just completed the McKissock ANSI course and I am now completely confused as to the standard pertaining to staircases. So, from my understanding after this course, the finished staircase is counted as part of the finished area (GLA) on both the finished first and second floor. Is this correct? According to my understanding of the course, the only time a square footage deduction is made is when the staircase does not align with the second floor and obviously when there is a foyer area. Is this correct? The staircases are counted twice? I am so frustrated, I have taken the course, purchased and read the entire standard, researched online, and I cannot get a simple answer. Is the staircase counted as GLA on the first and second floor? If it is not, where do we subtract the staircase measurement, on the first or second floor? I am going insane, please help! McKissock makes you complete four case study examples and none of the examples subtract the staircase.
I took the ANSI course in person. After the course we had a zoom call with someone at Fannie Mae. The course instructors seemed to have cleared a bunch of the staircase stuff with Fannie before they started their classes. Basically yes, its included on both floors, you don't normally subtract it out. Doesn't make sense, but I suppose its all for the sake of consistency.

Although now that I think about it I am curious how spiral staircases work with the new measurements...

I took the ANSI course in person. After the course we had a zoom call with someone at Fannie Mae. The course instructors seemed to have cleared a bunch of the staircase stuff with Fannie before they started their classes. Basically yes, its included on both floors, you don't normally subtract it out. Doesn't make sense, but I suppose its all for the sake of consistency.

Although now that I think about it I am curious how spiral staircases work with the new measurements...
It doesn't make sense with spiral staircase. Fannie making up their rules which doesn't make practical sense.
It actually increases square footage which does not meet assessors records. Inexperienced appraisers will make mistakes in the appraisal analysis.

It doesn't make sense with spiral staircase. Fannie making up their rules which doesn't make practical sense.
It actually increases square footage which does not meet assessors records. Inexperienced appraisers will make mistakes in the appraisal analysis.
Agreed. I try and get around it by increasing my GLA adjustment thresholds. Usually I add an extra 75 square feet of buffer in addition to my normal 75 to account for the differences. Ultimately I think if you’re taking the differences into account in your reconciliation you can cancel out the nonsense in the end.

I personally don't like to climb up stairs more than 2 stories. They're tiring and why should more stairway homes be rewarded in larger gross area.

I had to drop an assignment because of the new ANSI standard. Local Measuring standards had an attached addition with one roof line and an outside entrance classed as GLA. ANSI said it was a Casita and not GLA. The Lender wanted me to change the GLA from 5200 sqft to 2300 sqft. That is a bit of a shift in value. I couldn't do it. I should include it was specifically built in a manner to be consistent with local standards to be classed as GLA.
So the addition has no access to the other part of the house. Just exterior access?. Or are you saying the ceiling height in the addition is the problem

It actually increases square footage which does not meet assessors records.
Not in the states I work.
They're tiring and why should more stairway homes be rewarded in larger gross area
Because they are just as expensive to build or more so if there were no stairs? Was recently in a 3 story with 3 separate staircases and a spiral case from 2nd to 1st floor. Two stairs up. different one down plus one went all 3 floors and a spiral.

Having trick knee and arthritic issues, I would never buy a house that has stairs nor more than 2 steps from ground to floor level.

So the addition has no access to the other part of the house. Just exterior access?. Or are you saying the ceiling height in the addition is the problem
I had to drop an assignment because of the new ANSI standard. Local Measuring standards had an attached addition with one roof line and an outside entrance classed as GLA. ANSI said it was a Casita and not GLA. The Lender wanted me to change the GLA from 5200 sqft to 2300 sqft. That is a bit of a shift in value. I couldn't do it. I should include it was specifically built in a manner to be consistent with local standards to be classed as GLA.
Wait. Couldn’t you just add the additional square footage in an additional line item and adjust the square footage accordingly and comment? If it has value it, has value and there are ways of getting to it.

For example in 1/2 stories of older homes in my market, a lot don’t actually have the height clearance to count as ANSI GLA, so I put it in an additional line item and adjust across the board and comment that it doesn’t qualify to be put in the GLA line, but the market still recognizes value. I could see that happening pretty easily in your report. Unless I am missing some information or not understanding correctly.

So much Non-Sense is a laundry Room or a Bathroom Living area ? I had a old broker about 5 years ago and he said - So you take out my 100 Sq.Ft. Stair-Case !! - I did not respond and he then said you Dumb SOB if I have No stairs how the hell do I get to the upper level ? If I Rip-out The stairs is it now a One Story Home ? Do you ignore the 1,400 Sq.Ft of living area and bedrooms and baths-- I looked at him and said no this is all BS you are right a staircase provides access to the second level and it's all BS trying to measure it and take it out I no longer care about ANZI and stair cases :) LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back