• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

ANSI Staircases

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet in this market it was. It was taxed as GLA, It complied with local GLA standards, and it had been bought and sold as GLA three times before my appraisal. I am not going to be the one sued because the new lending standard cut their value by 60%.
You would only get sued if you let the use of the ANSI standard affect the result, because use of the ANSI standard (or any other measurement standard) should have exactly zero effect on the final value. If the "Casita" has the same contributory value as the main GLA, then it should be analyzed at the same rate, not at some rule of thumb 25% factor.

just ignore ansi like all the appraisers who used ansi before the change ignored fannies guidelines :giggle:

You would only get sued if you let the use of the ANSI standard affect the result, because use of the ANSI standard (or any other measurement standard) should have exactly zero effect on the final value. If the "Casita" has the same contributory value as the main GLA, then it should be analyzed at the same rate, not at some rule of thumb 25% factor.
That is the point CASITAS don't have the same contributory value as I stated. I could have said the casita had the same value, but I could not show that in court. I would lose in a heartbeat.

In my market the stairs were always removed from the second floor. Stairs can range from 60sqft to 250 sqft. This makes for a problem with the standards change. I am now comparing model matches that have GLA adjustments due to stairs. the GLA of the subject suddenly gets bigger and is no longer a fair comparison to comparables that still use the old standard.
I understand that but I don't know why we are expected to measure the EXTERIOR perimeter of each floor then remove something inside????

Makes no sense to me. Our assessor doesn't do it. I don't do it. My mentors never did it, nor do I know anyone in my market who does, did, or would.

1657669709350.png

I understand that but I don't know why we are expected to measure the EXTERIOR perimeter of each floor then remove something inside????

Makes no sense to me. Our assessor doesn't do it. I don't do it. My mentors never did it, nor do I know anyone in my market who does, did, or would.

View attachment 64922
So you never had any interior areas that were open to below, like a living room that has 20' ceilings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back