• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

ANSI Standard Z765-2021 whole foot measurement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Henry

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
ANSI Standard Z765-2021 whole foot measurement question

I received the following revision request and wondered if anyone else received anything like it. I know ANSI is new to our profession, but this is the first time I have seen a request of this nature. I measured the house, and it was exactly what I put on the sketch; not sure if adding an inch on each side would make a difference.

"All measurements are noted are to the whole foot. Appraisals are required to comply with ANSI Standard Z765-2021 when measuring, calculating and reporting GLA and non-gross living areas of the subject property which includes applicable declaration statements. ANSI Standard Z765-2021 requires measurements to the to the nearest inch or tenth of a foot. Please note that a simple statement that ANSI is required or that ANSI was used is not sufficient to address the question of measurements when all of the dimensions on the sketch are in whole feet (or whole and half feet). Appraisal to provide commentary on the whole foot measurements."

Any help will be appreciated.

Wow. Never got that one before. Pretty ridiculous, to be honest. I would just state the measurements were what they were, fully verified, stand by your measurements if you feel they are accurate and move on. I don’t understand what they want you to do. Sometimes things measure out to “whole foot measurements”.

Your sketch needs to accurately report... to the nearest 1/10th foot or the nearest inch... the measurements that you recorded when you measured the dwelling. Do not 'massage' your sketch just to placate someone who hasn't been to the property. It is unusual but, it absolutely happens that some dwellings actually do measure in whole feet when rounded per ANSI Z765-2021 standards. Write them back.. or add a comment in the report... and tell them that your meaurements and sketch are correct. The subject property is what it is. It's not up to us, as appraisers, to fudge anything to make it fit the Lender's boxes.

Your sketch needs to accurately report... to the nearest 1/10th foot or the nearest inch... the measurements that you recorded when you measured the dwelling. Do not 'massage' your sketch just to placate someone who hasn't been to the property. It is unusual but, it absolutely happens that some dwellings actually do measure in whole feet when rounded per ANSI Z765-2021 standards. Write them back.. or add a comment in the report... and tell them that your meaurements and sketch are correct. The subject property is what it is. It's not up to us, as appraisers, to fudge anything to make it fit the Lender's boxes.
The easiest way to do that is go back and change the rounding on the sketch program. Bam. New sketch. That is what they want. I am assuming the appraiser measured to the nearest inch. If the appraiser put to the nearest inch when they sketched it, then the sketch program already has that stored in the sketch. It is not rounding right.

One thing I don't know is if the sketch program rounding change will change the subject GLA when the rounding is changed. But that is okay if it does. It could even cause a change in value opinion. It would not take long to correct and resubmit as a revised report and explain in the new report.

That could be the heart of the problem for the lender.

If they want GLA based on ansi, they don't want rounding to the nearest foot.

Oddly enough, older homes in my area (that haven't been covered in vinyl) will end up measuring to the whole foot way more often than newer homes. In fact I've never had a newer home measure out to the foot. Most of the homes and barns pre 1900 will almost always be right on the foot or very close. Even the crooked ones. Decks also measure out the the foot pretty often.

Point them to your ANSI disclosure and tell them it is what it is.

Please note that a simple statement that ANSI is required or that ANSI was used is not sufficient to address the question of measurements when all of the dimensions on the sketch are in whole feet (or whole and half feet). Appraisal to provide commentary on the whole foot measurements."

Unless you used one of the ANSI declarations, there is no requirement to comment further

Oddly enough, older homes in my area (that haven't been covered in vinyl) will end up measuring to the whole foot way more often than newer homes. In fact I've never had a newer home measure out to the foot. Most of the homes and barns pre 1900 will almost always be right on the foot or very close. Even the crooked ones. Decks also measure out the the foot pretty often.

Point them to your ANSI disclosure and tell them it is what it is.

Unless you used one of the ANSI declarations, there is no requirement to comment further
Doesn't matter. If your rounding to the nearest inch. The footage on the sketch needs to round to the nearest tenth inch. Can be off on one side. Doesn't matter.

Rounding to the foot is the problem. That is not ansi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back