• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

ANSI &....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Crabb

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I've read & re-read the ANSI, still I'm unable to find a definitive answer to my question... This is the first time I've encountered this situation since being required to adhere to the ANSI standards.

From ANSI: "To be included in finished square footage calculations, finished areas must have a ceiling height of at least 7 ft. (2.13 m) except under beams, ducts, and other obstructions where the height may be 6 ft. 4 in. (1.93 m)..."

The ANSI Z765-2021 (as far as I can tell, anyway) doesn't discern a difference between above-grade & below-grade ceiling height requirements. This house has a basement area fully finished in style & quality similar to the above-grade area, with a recreation room, a bedroom, & a full bath, except... The ceiling heights in this area range from 6.6' to 6.8'. I'd imagine that the low ceiling height is due to beams, ducts, & other obstructions just above the gypsum board, but I sometimes choose to leave my imagination out of appraisal reports.

Can this below-grade area be counted as finished below-grade living area? Or, does the ceiling height relegate the below-grade area to unfinished area, thereby removing the rec room, bedroom, & bath, & likely opening a can of worms with the home owner?

Thanks!!

Interesting dilemma! On the surface, I'd say that ANSI only applies to above grade finished area, so that you'd still be ok calling the below grade area 'finished area' - as you're not trying to asset that it's GLA anyway, as it's below grade. I've not experienced this issue before, though, so this should be an interesting thread.

ANSI applies to all areas of the home. The 7 foot requirement applies to below-grade finished area in the same way that it applies to above grade finished area. My inclination would be to include it in the finished area, state the height, then cite the relevant portion of ANSI, "To be included in finished square footage calculations, finished areas must have a ceiling height of at least 7 ft. (2.13 m) except under beams, ducts, and other obstructions where the height may be 6 ft. 4 in. (1.93 m)."

But aren't all ceilings that don't have exposed beams, have heights that are restricted by beams??

ANSI does not address GLA. Just above and below grade finished area. Fannie and Freddie define GLA for appraisal purposes
Fannie making GLA confusing with their own interpretation of ANSI.
Fannie should have own set of rules in defining areas. Then again, bureaucratic Fannie is not practical like Fernando.

What are you reading?

ANSI deals with above-grade finished square footage and below-grade finished square footage. The 7 foot requirement applies to all finished square footage, regardless of grade.

1673029376404.png

I've read & re-read the ANSI, still I'm unable to find a definitive answer to my question... This is the first time I've encountered this situation since being required to adhere to the ANSI standards.

From ANSI: "To be included in finished square footage calculations, finished areas must have a ceiling height of at least 7 ft. (2.13 m) except under beams, ducts, and other obstructions where the height may be 6 ft. 4 in. (1.93 m)..."

The ANSI Z765-2021 (as far as I can tell, anyway) doesn't discern a difference between above-grade & below-grade ceiling height requirements. This house has a basement area fully finished in style & quality similar to the above-grade area, with a recreation room, a bedroom, & a full bath, except... The ceiling heights in this area range from 6.6' to 6.8'. I'd imagine that the low ceiling height is due to beams, ducts, & other obstructions just above the gypsum board, but I sometimes choose to leave my imagination out of appraisal reports.

Can this below-grade area be counted as finished below-grade living area? Or, does the ceiling height relegate the below-grade area to unfinished area, thereby removing the rec room, bedroom, & bath, & likely opening a can of worms with the home owner?

Thanks!!
You still appraise it how the market reacts. If the market does not value it less based on the ceiling height you still appraise it the same. You would just report it differently and make it confusing to the reader by abiding with ANSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back