• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Anyone ever use skins for your digital cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueprint

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
If so, what has your experience been with them?

I am in process of buying a new camera (Canon PS SD750) but I would really like to make it last. Digitals are clearly not designed with appraisers in mind!!! :laugh:

I am looking at these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/500589-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDSC750_75_B_Canon_SD750_Snug_Fit_Black_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/501936-REG/GGI_SCC_C750G_Silicone_Skin_for.html

http://www.boxwave.com/products/flexiskin/flexiskin-canon-powershot-sd750_2584.htm

I am really leaning towards the first one. Curious if anyone has had any experience with these or any camera skins. Thanks!

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Cheap enough to try them all I suppose.

I have an S3 Nikon. I also have a mini-bank bag that the local bank provides as a promotion around Xmas time. My S3 fits perfectly in it, I zip it up and leave the strap hanging out. Poked in my pocket and carried every day. i have had no problems in 2 years plus.

Blueprint

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Yea, I know they are cheap. Just hopin' someone here has used something similar.

Metamorphic

Professional Status
State
California
I never used one for a camera but I had one for my iPod. Its was a PITA. Its was grippy enough that he was hard to put into an out of the pocket.

That little case is about 10% of the cost of the camera. But you have to figure any extra life you get because of the case will be tacked on to the end of the life of the thing, and that will probably be a $75 camera 2 years from know.

IIWY I'd look at why you're beating up the camera so bad. I put mine on a long cord I put around my neck. Take a picture drop it, make a note or a measurement while the flash recharges, pick it up and snap another photo, etc etc. It stays around my neck shooting comps, then it goes in my computer bag. I think it will last longer than it needs to given the handling.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
The Canon PowerShot SD750 is a good camera, but for real estate you really should get a camera with a wide angle lens such as the Canon PowerShot SD870.

Blueprint

Professional Status
State
Oregon
and that will probably be a $75 camera 2 years from know.

Actually, I am just hoping my camera will be alive and well 2 years from now!!! I know I am rough on them. My camera goes in and out of my pocket daily, set on my desk, just like a set of keys, or a wallet.

I ended up taking the plunge and bought from Best Buy with two year accidental coverage for a total of $200. It was a pretty good deal!!!

At this point, I'd just like to find a functional way to keep it looking pretty. That way, if it poops on me in the next two years, I can easily take it back to Best Buy and have it fixed/replaced without argument of personal damage.

Blueprint

Professional Status
State
Oregon
The Canon PowerShot SD750 is a good camera, but for real estate you really should get a camera with a wide angle lens such as the Canon PowerShot SD870.

Hah, I can't believe it!!!! I have an SD870IS. I have talked about this camera on an earlier thread. It is my absolute favorite camera for appraising. I paid a screaming $310 for it at Newegg when it first came out. Sadly, it only lasted me 6 months, so I am where I am today, looking to go cheaper but staying with Canon as I need a camera asap. The 870 went out on me this weekend and I am going to be contacting Canon about potential repair/replacements next week.

Check the pic of my 870. It will not open and close fully after only 6 months and all the pics are blurred. A camera at this cost needs precious care that I dont think I can provide consistently. That being said, I hope I can get her fixed through Canon.

IMG_3959.jpg

Blueprint

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Thanks much for the link OSU. I tried everyting on the E18 repair list, yet nothing flys. The lens looks perfect when going in and out, there are no abnormal sounds when it detracts. It has to be some small menial style mechanism inside that is preventing it from retracting. I am glad to know I have done those tests before I send it into them.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
NP, I seem to be the late nite tech support right now. Is it giving you a different error code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks